Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #51
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

over 40
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #52
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #53
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan16 View Post
LOL thats funny Kirb. Guess I should have really been asking folks what they think about his age instead of his score. If I felt like he was 5+ years old I wouldnt have thought twice about killing him. There was just something about the way he acted and his look that made me think he was a younger deer.
That's a really nice buck buddy, I cant tell his age so since your passing on him I hope he last another year.
I had a buck walk across the road to my house a couple days ago. When I got to where he crossed he had his head stuck in a goat wire fence sometimes their really stupid. I have some vid. Anything can happen from one day to the next. Maybe you will see him again maybe you wont. But you will always remember him
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #54
dannorocks
Spike

Hunt In: Green Plaid

Looks about 138-140 to me. Needs more brow tines.
dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #55
happy bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mason county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I got 138. Spread keeps him from it
great minds think alike 138
happy bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #56
no bait
Four Point

lets ground check him!
no bait is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #57
Dugie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ireland, TX

put me down for 143"....& 4.5, please post it up if you shoot him.

<----- this one netted 147 P&Y, it has more spread but not as much mass, IMHO you should have shot it, but hey, they quit growing as soon as you hit the release!

Last edited by Dugie; 11-08-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Dugie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #58
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Give him another year and he'll break 140. 3.5 and low 30's right now
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #59
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
No doubt the neighbors would shoot him if they see him, but its a chance Im willing to take. He may get hit by a car or caught up in a fence too, but I cant get him to 5.5 or 6.5 if I kill him now. Odds are probably against me seeing him next year, but I will roll the dice. There are plenty of 5.5 year old straight 8's and plenty of doe to kill to put meat in the freezer.
I like the way you think sir my hats off to you. Good luck on them big old Ocho’s
DPElite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #60
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

I got 4.5 and and low 40s. Hard to pass him up but I get it!
gekko man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #61
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

Very close
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #62
monsterspike
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
High 30s - low 40s I think mass pushes him closer to 140.....and definitely older than 3.5 imo.

Probably lost a little weight chasing girlfriends too.
im going to agree with capt obvious as well since there is no way to be wrong here.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #63
Bear Charge
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

No
Bear Charge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #64
SanSaba007
Eight Point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SanSaba007 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #65
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Here's what I get:
Age: at LEAST 4 1/2... With the thickness and droop of his lower jaw, neck line to brisket, short legs, looks a little run down (from maybe rut)... From the pics I might could get him to 5 1/2... Would need some straight up broad side pics and a good look at his face, head down eating is also a good way to judge the "loose skin" on the neck and such... You saw him live which is THE way to judge them, so I can't disagree with your aging other than I think he's older than 3 1/2...

Score:
Width: 16
Beams: 22/each
Mass: 28
1's: 11
2's: 18
3's: 20
4's: 11
Total: 148
Add/take away from these estimates based on your live evaluation and see if it gets you where you want to be.

That is a VERY nice buck and he's no youngster... As far as body size, some deer, especially hill country deer just don't get big... My best buck ever netted 159 5/8", was 7 1/2 years old and field dressed 112 pounds! He was a runt, but sure had nice antlers...

IF you let him walk given another opportunity, I commend you and sure hope you get a crack at him next year!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #66
phoneman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lipan, Tx

I think he does
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #67
Jimbo47
Six Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

Sounds like you've already decided he isn't what you want, so go with your gut!
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #68
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

I’m in the 141-143 range

Pretty deer
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #69
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Here's what I get:
Age: at LEAST 4 1/2... With the thickness and droop of his lower jaw, neck line to brisket, short legs, looks a little run down (from maybe rut)... From the pics I might could get him to 5 1/2... Would need some straight up broad side pics and a good look at his face, head down eating is also a good way to judge the "loose skin" on the neck and such... You saw him live which is THE way to judge them, so I can't disagree with your aging other than I think he's older than 3 1/2...

Score:
Width: 16
Beams: 22/each
Mass: 28
1's: 11
2's: 18
3's: 20
4's: 11
Total: 148
Add/take away from these estimates based on your live evaluation and see if it gets you where you want to be.

That is a VERY nice buck and he's no youngster... As far as body size, some deer, especially hill country deer just don't get big... My best buck ever netted 159 5/8", was 7 1/2 years old and field dressed 112 pounds! He was a runt, but sure had nice antlers...

IF you let him walk given another opportunity, I commend you and sure hope you get a crack at him next year!
Thanks for giving me another opinion. I can agree with some of the things you mention as possibilities, but the rut hasnt really kicked off out there yet so I can take being run down from the rut out of the equation. When he first stepped out about 50 yds away, my first thought was "shooter for sure" but as I watched him work his way to the feeder and got a good look at him, I started second guessing myself. Then when two other bucks came in, both with noticeably less headgear, but bigger body frames and weight, I made my mind up to pass on him. He very well could be 4.5 but either way he should be better at 5.5 or 6.5. I know I am taking a HUGE gamble on him making it another year or two due to neighbors and all other things that could kill him but what the heck...I really have nothing to lose and a lot to potentially gain. 120" deer out there are a dime a dozen but a 140+ is a really special deer around there. It was a lot of fun to sit and watch him at 20 yards for 45 minutes and he never had a clue how close he was to dying. Thanks again for all the input and comments about this joker, I hope I see him again sometime
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #70
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Thanks for giving me another opinion. I can agree with some of the things you mention as possibilities, but the rut hasnt really kicked off out there yet so I can take being run down from the rut out of the equation. When he first stepped out about 50 yds away, my first thought was "shooter for sure" but as I watched him work his way to the feeder and got a good look at him, I started second guessing myself. Then when two other bucks came in, both with noticeably less headgear, but bigger body frames and weight, I made my mind up to pass on him. He very well could be 4.5 but either way he should be better at 5.5 or 6.5. I know I am taking a HUGE gamble on him making it another year or two due to neighbors and all other things that could kill him but what the heck...I really have nothing to lose and a lot to potentially gain. 120" deer out there are a dime a dozen but a 140+ is a really special deer around there. It was a lot of fun to sit and watch him at 20 yards for 45 minutes and he never had a clue how close he was to dying. Thanks again for all the input and comments about this joker, I hope I see him again sometime

Figured this was in Freestone/Fairfield in your signature. Hence my mentioning of possibility of the run down deer. I see you said it was Schleicher further down in the thread...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #71
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

135-138
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #72
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Figured this was in Freestone/Fairfield in your signature. Hence my mentioning of possibility of the run down deer. I see you said it was Schleicher further down in the thread...
Ya, the place we hunt out there is off 2084 about 3 miles north of Hwy 190.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top