Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #151
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
I mean I understand he is 5.5 are older but we had him on the no kill list . I donít want to be that lease manager that changed the rules for one guy what do I do we did talk about this buck maybe going on the list because we thought he was 5.5 but never made that clear with all the members the member made a decision on his own and said he is definitely 5.5 and shot the buck without telling the rest of us .. and other members are mad including myself because they thought he was on the no kill list !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your second post on this thread says it all.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #152
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

This almost sounds like a HOA in a residential neighborhood.

When did the fun go out of hunting? Sounds like you are the president of the H.O.A. and people are upset because somebody peed in the pool.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by DFWPI; 11-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #153
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Quote:
Exactly! The member shot the buck on a no kill list final answer here ..
and then he tried to hide the fact that he shot it, which makes me think he knew it was on the no hit list when he shot it. If anything he would be in the doghouse for not being truthful about shooting the buck.

I will say that the more LISTS you involve, the more confusion there is going to be. I don't have issues with "do not shoot lists" but "shoot lists" take all of the fun out of it for me. What if a 6.5yr old 150" buck steps out that has never been seen? Then are you breaking the rules by shooting it because it is not on the "shoot list"?
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #154
wingnut
Six Point

This is one reason I don't hunt on leases!
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #155
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
yep, this is why the only people I'm on a lease with are my dad and his buddy
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #156
Codie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
likewise, except it is the reason I lease only places that I can afford to lease the whole place to myself. If my 7yr old wants to shoot a 2yr old 100" buck nobody can say a word about it
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #157
Chad C
Pope & Young

As the lease manager, and from reading all your post... It sounds to me as though the NO KILL list was never completely clear to ALL members and y'all need to do better at communication. All clear move on and make sure everyone is on the same page moving forward.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #158
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
As the lease manager, and from reading all your post... It sounds to me as though the NO KILL list was never completely clear to ALL members and y'all need to do better at communication. All clear move on and make sure everyone is on the same page moving forward.
I agree
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #159
Codie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Exactly how I think I would handle it
Old 11-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #160
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
First rule that could have been broken was shooting a buck under the age limit (he did not break that rule)

Second rule that could have been broken was shooting a buck that was on the do not shoot list (he did break that)

The question comes down to how clear and concise the "no shoot list" was created AND communicated to the entire group. If there was not a clear and concise no shoot list with agreed upon ages included that was given to each and every member then this mistake is on the person that was in charge of the "no shoot list", not the hunter. If the hunter shot a buck at all and it was not reported or logged and the lease agreement requires all buck kills to be reported or logged then that is on the hunter and is a MUCH bigger deal in my mind, and also leads to suspicion that he may have known that this buck was on the "no shoot list". Sounds like a trouble lease member to me, but it also sounds like the person in charge of the lease needs to dot their i's and cross their t's when it comes to the rules of the lease and the "do not shoot list"
Agree with this!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #161
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
I agree I understand my faults in this as the lease manager . What worries me most is it just seems he wasn’t going to tell anyone he shot the deer since he didn’t find it !!

Sounds Like the communication is horrid, that’s a Lease boss issue.. the only thing you can do that’s fair is call this one a loss and EVERYONE get together and make clear the rules and guidelines that are suppose to be in place on your lease and that’s this is ultimately your fault. No offense, but if I were you I would step down as lease manager. This shouldn’t be asked on a hunting forum unless in the process of setting up the rules not in the middle of hunting season. Again terrible communication issues.

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 11-02-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #162
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Geez man, did he put beans in the chili?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #163
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

My brain hurts from this thread.
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #164
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Good lord this is beyond silly. OP, keep this drama in Oklahoma
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #165
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Geez man, did he put beans in the chili?
That is the main problem here lol
Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #166
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

I would have more of a trust issue than wether he killed a buck that met the lease guidelines. He killed a buck that everyone said don’t shoot. It sounds like he thought...”screw it, I am done here”!

It would be a matter of trust!

I would never want to be a lease manager because of these kind of issues!
gekko man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #167
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

I would say people are being a little hard on lease boss. Trying to grow bigger deer is a hard thing. Now with that being said, the rules are a little murky. Lease boss needs to clean the list up a bit before next season. When you have multiple people on a lease, the rules need to be clear. Not only the rule, but the penalty for breaking that rules needs to be written down as well.

After reading this, I could see maybe letting him off the hook because of the rules. But Lease boss dropped a bomb when he said that the hunter shot the buck and lost him and never told anyone.. That is a big NONO. He has to go. If a guy does that, he will do it again. No one can trust a guy like that. Get rid of him and move on. CLEAN UP THE RULES. Make sure everyone knows that there will be deer put on the NO SHOOT list. Might consider just having a Kill List. Deer on this list can be killed Regardless of age. If a new deer shows up, film him and get him approved.

But Guy has to go for shooting a deer and not telling anyone that he did and lost him. Not that it was a 5.5 year old on no shoot list.
Krivoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #168
Miller
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Laredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
I am not so sure why people reading this are not getting that there are 2 lists

a "no shoot list"
AND
a "shoot list"

he was ON the "no shoot list" and they had talked about the deer being put on the "shoot list" but had decided against it
I think they do and then they read stuff like "might go on a list" or "thought he was a certain age."
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #169
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Yeah, i'm kinda confused. He shot a buck that was on the no kill list but then it was just talked about going on the no kill list but never actually made it to the list but most members knew about it. Then he never recovered the deer but another member knows he shot the deer that was on the no kill list but never actually made it to the list and even without recovering it knows its the same deer. Id say chalk it up as very bad communication and maybe put him on some type of probation for this year and next meaning any screw ups and hes gone.
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #170
RUNNING BEAR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

In!!!
RUNNING BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #171
Miller
Eight Point

Quote:
Letís look at this at another angle say I as the lease manager shot the buck after it was on the no kill list ? Would it makes things different?

Heck I don't know. You would of done such a good job at confusing me I probably would be just as likely to think its ok. I wouldn't know up from down, by the time we got to that point. Maybe that is your angle!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #172
COOLDAD1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Heck I don't know. You would of done such a good job at confusing me I probably would be just as likely to think its ok. I wouldn't know up from down, by the time we got to that point. Maybe that is your angle!
COOLDAD1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #173
trozy55
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

is the "no kill list" your speaking of that this deer is on from this current year or last year, that's my biggest question??

If its from last year that your talking about then YOU are way in the wrong. If he was on the no kill list from last year at 4.5 than a member can only assume that he would be a shooter this year at 5.5 UNLESS all lease members agreed at the start of this current year that deer was not to be shot.
trozy55 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #174
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post

My angle was we discussed this deer off limits before the season because he didnít blow up like we were expecting him to so we all agreed before season we would give him another year to see what he does!! Then we discuss one night yeah that deer is definitely 5.5 but I still think he needs another year to see what he does two other members besides me and the guy who drew blood on the buck was there in the discussion and I thought we all agreed at that moment we were not going to kill that deer other members are mad that the deer was shot because as far as they New the deer was off limits to them which he was !!!

Old 11-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #175
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

First year on the lease for him? If so, was he informed about shoot and no-shoot lists before he paid?

I ask this because I got on a lease once that had all the age rules but nothing in the rules about any lists. By the start of the season we had a shoot list, a no-shoot list and then it went to all deer have to be approved before you can shoot them. I got off that lease.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #176
stingerslinger
Four Point

[quote=Hoss163;13752093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
You are conflicting yourself in this post. The deer was or was not on the ďno killĒ list. You say it was not officially on the list but then it was put on the list. You cannot have it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/. He was never put on the list but I agree I thought he was 5.5 and maybe we should put him on the list but never made it clear that he was on the list to all the members!!

Aggravating...but no foul.
l
stingerslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #177
Miller
Eight Point

Quote:
My angle was we discussed this deer off limits before the season because he didn’t blow up like we were expecting him to so we all agreed before season we would give him another year to see what he does!! Then we discuss one night yeah that deer is definitely 5.5 but I still think he needs another year to see what he does two other members besides me and the guy who drew blood on the buck was there in the discussion and I thought we all agreed at that moment we were not going to kill that deer other members are mad that the deer was shot because as far as they New the deer was off limits to them which he was !!!

I really meant it more tongue and cheek.

That said, man even in this last post you have words like "think" "thought".
Maybe that is how you have done things in the past and it has worked, but it just looks like an accident waiting to happen... and it happened.

I think when you hated on the guy earlier for shooting another deer that didn't meet the trophy rule, that didn't help as well. It shouldn't matter if it is his biggest deer, you made that rule. Live with it or change it next season.

This guy may be the worst, but I can see where he can be pretty frustrated as well.

Maybe, just pick an age and stick with it? or before the season starts have everyone sign off on deer that can't be shot? That said if he met the age requirements and was a regular at my spot in the preseason, I might not be too excited about someone deciding to "no shoot list" him. Even when everyone agrees he is old enough.

Last edited by Miller; 11-02-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #178
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

I’d say if some of you decide a buck gets a mandatory pass you might want to tel everybody else on the lease or else the normal 5.5 age rule applies. In my opinion you can’t come to him after he shot the deer and punish him if you didn’t tell him.

Last edited by drbonner; 11-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #179
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

The only rule set in stone was 5.5 and up. Correct? So you want to punish for following rules?
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #180
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

I keep typing and deleting! I donít think anyone one the lease has a clear understanding of what is going on!
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #181
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Sounds like the lease member did nothing wrong to me. As a lease manager if you are going to get upset about deer being shot that are on the no shoot list, the no shoot list has to be rock solid and concrete. You can't say 5.5 and older to also include deer placed on the don't shoot list and then NOT make it clear to ALL lease members that the deer is DEFINITELY on the no shoot list.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #182
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonner View Post
Iíd say if some of you decide a buck gets a mandatory pass you might want to tel everybody else on the lease or else the normal 5.5 age rule applies. In my opinion you canít come to him after he shot the deer and punish him if you didnít tell him.
He new trust me .. He made a mistake I understand that and that mistake I can partly be to blame I guess because we discussed it one night around camp about maybe taking him off but that was never a hell yes we are taking him off 1st one sees him shoots
Old 11-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #183
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
We had this happen last year. Took his keys and escorted him out the gate.
Why? Because he followed the rules as agreed upon? Or were you talking about the Lease Manager being escorted off the property.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #184
JeffK
Ten Point

If discussed with him that this deer is off limits even though he is 5.5, I would say that this is his trophy for next season if all other member agree to this.

If he did not share that he shot/wounded one of the trophy deer, I think this could get you kicked off of a lease that has limited deer that meet trophy status. I'm guessing he did share if one of the other members knew about it?
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #185
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivoman View Post
I would say people are being a little hard on lease boss. Trying to grow bigger deer is a hard thing. Now with that being said, the rules are a little murky. Lease boss needs to clean the list up a bit before next season. When you have multiple people on a lease, the rules need to be clear. Not only the rule, but the penalty for breaking that rules needs to be written down as well.

After reading this, I could see maybe letting him off the hook because of the rules. But Lease boss dropped a bomb when he said that the hunter shot the buck and lost him and never told anyone.. That is a big NONO. He has to go. If a guy does that, he will do it again. No one can trust a guy like that. Get rid of him and move on. CLEAN UP THE RULES. Make sure everyone knows that there will be deer put on the NO SHOOT list. Might consider just having a Kill List. Deer on this list can be killed Regardless of age. If a new deer shows up, film him and get him approved.

But Guy has to go for shooting a deer and not telling anyone that he did and lost him. Not that it was a 5.5 year old on no shoot list.

Now I can agree with this. I guess I missed the didn't recover the deer part of the story some how. Everyone wounds an animal but if he didn't mention it to the members it seems like he may have had an idea that the deer wasn't 100% on the approved list.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #186
fishinguy
Four Point

Sounds like there is a communication problem more so than a problem with a member. Sounds like way too much drama for a fun leisure activity. Now everybody can take sides and talk crap behind each others back. Sounds like a great way to open the season.
fishinguy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #187
Setxbowhunter58
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Well another problem is he never recovered the buck but another lease member caught wind of him shooting the buck ! And was asking since when do we shoot bucks that are not on the No Kill list ! Of course we didnít have a clue what was going on !!

dude......you just gave me the biggest headache. Sounds to me like a very unorganized situation that should have been solidified before the season.
Setxbowhunter58 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #188
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

If everyone makes a list together and he chose he didnt need to follow it...then CYA!!

It takes everyone on the same page
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #189
trozy55
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Sounds like you were coming on here with your mind already made up and seeking some form of self validation. You were completely wavering in the beginning and sounded like a dang politician taking different angles to make your way. Then as most pointed out there may be more of a communication problem than anything you started taking more of a stand. Now you sound 100% that the deer in question was a no shooter agreed by all.

So why come on a public forum and ask for thought on a question to which you already had your mind made up on?
trozy55 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #190
Hoss163
Ten Point

His argument it was 5.5 and that was a rule set in stone 5.5 is good to go but we ALL agreed before season we would let this buck ride tell 6.5 !! Other members are ****** he shot the buck Iím not jealous of him shooting him I wouldnít of shot him myself so yíall that think Iím mad because I didnít shoot him are all wrong! Other members wanted to shoot him but they New he was off limits is the bottom line !!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #191
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trozy55 View Post
Sounds like you were coming on here with your mind already made up and seeking some form of self validation. You were completely wavering in the beginning and sounded like a dang politician taking different angles to make your way. Then as most pointed out there may be more of a communication problem than anything you started taking more of a stand. Now you sound 100% that the deer in question was a no shooter agreed by all.

So why come on a public forum and ask for thought on a question to which you already had your mind made up on?

Just conversation why does anyone start a conversation when they have there mind made up on what they believe? Just gathering everyone elseís thoughts is all every one has a different opinion!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #192
AHF
Four Point

Hunt In: LAMPAZOS N.L.

At my lease... If its brown it is down 😜
AHF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #193
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Knew
Old 11-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #194
RF76
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Bingo and he was on the no shoot list and never taken off of it !!!

No shoot list

Shoot list

What if there is a 5.5 year old buck that you never seen or have history with showing up, do you supposed to let him walk.
RF76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #195
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

I'm not even getting in the confusion of lists and no lists.....

He shot a deer, lost it, and then wasn't going to tell anyone except he got busted???

That's same as lieing to me and that is a reason to be kicked out!
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #196
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF76 View Post
No shoot list

Shoot list

What if there is a 5.5 year old buck that you never seen or have history with showing up, do you supposed to let him walk.

That is a different story there being that buck was not on the no hit list! Because apparently he wasnít ever caught on camera are seen by anyone! If he took it on himself to say yeah he is 5.5 Iím shooting and he turns out to be only 4.5 well thatís another story !!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #197
Eastwood
Four Point

In the past we have decided as a group that certain bucks should be passed up, but if he goes to another man's stand and gets shot, oh well. I don't think I would like a lease with lists like this. Sounds like corporate paperwork. As far as this deal goes, sounds like a mess. Just let him finish the year and don't ask him back next year.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #198
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Let me take a wild guess. You did not congratulate him or take his pictures and took your toys and went home
And I wonder who is gonna get his stand once they kick him off
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #199
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

was he using a rage??
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #200
Hunteraudit
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

After reading all this all I have to say is thank God I have never had to deal with this drama or these types of rules. Take all the fun out of it if I had a certain list of deer I could shoot. Herd management is one thing, but WHOA! Just my .02
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top