Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #51
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Guys I’m leaving out of country so if you decide maybe contact Doug. I’m not sure how many spots are left now if any. If interested better speak up quick

I have fish Venice and caught blackfin on a YFT trip. This trip is 2 nights fishing for less than a single day fishing out of Venice

Last edited by glen; 09-08-2018 at 07:16 PM.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #52
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Thatís a trip Iím always jealous of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #53
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
One of these days
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

You need to do this! Great adventure with a great group of guys! I have some gear to borrow if we figure out how to get it to you in time, but the boat has rod/reels...just not the best.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #54
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Those who are jumping aboard - welcome to the Texas Tuna Circus! This trip is truly a lifetime experience - comment made by literally everyone who has sailed offshore with this group for the first time. We have a core group who make this trip annually and others who can't make it due to personal reasons and schedules. Gonna miss Burnadell this year - he's our number one CORN SLINGER offshore and our ADULT SUPERVISION.

The boat has cold storage for drinks - commercial refrigeration. In the galley is a hot dog roller, crock pot, coffee pot (Keurig), hot plate, microwave and a propane fired BBQ pit which gets fired up out on deck on the fantail (aft end). We bring piles of food, beer, water, Gatorade, snacks, condiments as well as eat Sushi and or Poke (Glen's got that dialed in).

Basically we live like Pirates - all for one and one for all!

Fishing becomes literally non-stop. Nightime, we drift next to offshore floaters in 3,000 - 9,000ft of water and fish for tuna and everything else drawn to the bait and lights these rigs create. There will be no moon, so the boat and rig are the beacons of light, which will draw flying fish, squid into our zone followed by pelagics.

We have spotted squid well over 12ft long, sharks up to 15ft, marlin up and over 600lbs, whales, swordfish, barracuda, mahi mahi and 3 different tuna species (Bigeye, Blackfin and Yellowfin)......dozens of various smaller fish - fish larger than bass or catfish though for a sizing comparison.....just to name a few critters.

You will catch fish. And you will catch a lot of fish if you stay on deck and grind through the night. We nap during the day but.....during the day, we troll with outriggers chasing pelagics just like any other sportfisher does, running a spread with outriggers and flat lines targeting anything that will run down our baits.

The boat has decent rods, leaders, hooks and bait to cover. Many of us bring our own gear and it covers the setups, especially the trolling setups. On the troll, we have hooked 4 - 5 good quality yellowfin tuna at the same time. On one occasion, a massive blue marlin chased down Glen's 60-70lb class yellowfin as he fought that fish, only to lose it to the blue marlin, who killed and ate his tuna at the stern. All I can say is.....that marlin was massive and we witnessed something rarely ever scene.

Items we typically take:

We haul a cooler and fill that with food and drinks. So by the time it's all added up, we have a load of chow on the boat to feed everyone and the crew.

There are bunks for each. Some bring bedrolls and items to make sleeping comfortable. I typically fish till I drop, so comfort isn't part of the equation to fall asleep. And typically it's an hour to 2 hour nap or so. On the sail back into port, we all sack out for a few hours before returning to port.

Lures that are typically used for tuna.

Top is the FRENZY FLYING FISH. They come in Pink and or White/Blue. Both colors work and I typically use the GLOW IN THE DARK models. They are casted and or drifted out away from the boat. When these tuna turn on, they will hit these lures randomly out away from the boat.

The bottom lure is a Diamond Glow Jig. Heavier weighted varieties tend to fish better if the fish are down 300ft or so. So typically I use 6 - 8 ounce diamond glow jigs. The lightest I would go with these lures is 4 ounces. All three tuna species have hammered these lures and you can literally fill the deck full of blackfin tuna, when the bite turns on, jigging these lures.

The other ploy is using the boat's circle hooks, baited with a healthy chunk of fresh cut blackfin tuna. This gets eased over the side and you freeline this bait in the lee as we drift along. The crew will toss chunks of blackfin over the side to chum these fish up and in follow of the boat. Many quality yellowfin tuna have taken this simple setup on each trip. And it's the most relaxing way to fish for them until you hook up.

At the hook-up, IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!
Attached Images

AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #55
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

I agree with Robís post but the Burnadell being the adult supervision comment...... where did that come from?!

Hell, its a group effort just keeping him in check.
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #56
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hard to tell from this image - this Bull Mahi is over 5ft long. Hit my blackfin tuna chunk fishing for yellowfin, at a drill ship at night. Jumped well over a dozen times and ran out line around 300 yards, over and over till the gaff.

Rainbow runner for the Rainbow Warrior
Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #57
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Burnadell and breakfast.

What happens in the boat, stays in the boat right Burnie?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #58
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Killin me with the pics. Y'all are hooked the F up.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #59
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Killin me with the pics. Y'all are hooked the F up.

I agree Bobby. We need to jump on board next year!!

brianlg31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #60
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Every trip is different! I cant wait to get back out there!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #61
Dushon
Ten Point

Atthewall did you get my pm?

Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #62
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

PM answered Dushon!
Old 09-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #63
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

14 guys on this trip - hard to imagine this is only 2 nights of fishing. Boat limit of Yellowfin tuna, 3 per man. No limit of blackfin......which we use dozens as bait to target the bigger Yellowfin - chunking with circle hooks. A bunch of the vertical tuna are over 100 lbs. During this trip, there was a 20 minute period where some of us witnessed 200lb class tuna getting airborne. I had one fish on the bow hooked, that didn't stop and took me down into my reel over half deep before the hook pulled. It never stopped running and my reel holds 600 yards of 50lb test with the drag locked down at 32lbs. I'm glad the hook pulled....I was not rigged with a reel big enough for that fish - casting topwaters when it exploded on my bait. The boil was massive - big enough to stick an F250 in the center with room left on both bumpers.

The bite on top can be simply explosive.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #64
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
14 guys on this trip - hard to imagine this is only 2 nights of fishing. Boat limit of Yellowfin tuna, 3 per man. No limit of blackfin......which we use dozens as bait to target the bigger Yellowfin - chunking with circle hooks. A bunch of the vertical tuna are over 100 lbs. During this trip, there was a 20 minute period where some of us witnessed 200lb class tuna getting airborne. I had one fish on the bow hooked, that didn't stop and took me down into my reel over half deep before the hook pulled. It never stopped running and my reel holds 600 yards of 50lb test with the drag locked down at 32lbs. I'm glad the hook pulled....I was not rigged with a reel big enough for that fish - casting topwaters when it exploded on my bait. The boil was massive - big enough to stick an F250 in the center with room left on both bumpers.

The bite on top can be simply explosive.

I remember that trip! I think mine were 113, 96, and one in the 70's plus some blackfin and a few other assorted types. Ended up with like 170 lbs of boneless fish! Everybody i know ate fresh tuna!
Old 09-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #65
oneeye
Six Point

Definitely on the bucket list, Rob!
oneeye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #66
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
I agree with Rob’s post but the Burnadell being the adult supervision comment...... where did that come from?!

Hell, its a group effort just keeping him in check.
Hey! I saw that, Shirley!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
So it's $1000 per person plus all the other stuff or everything adds up to about $1000 per person? Catching a tuna would be awesome! Like others I doubt I have anything big enough to handle one though.

You need to just pull up your big boy panties and commit! I can meet you @ IH20 and Hwy 271 to loan you gear. Don't pass this opportunity to fish with the master salts and renegades!!! (It will cost you a few hundies more than $1000 though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I’m in! I am in touch with Chuck to get my deposit paid. I don’t have gear, so will be depending on help in that dept.

Can’t wait!!!!!

And Randy, I hope you get your health issues straightened out ASAP!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the good wishes, Bisch, and I'm glad you committed! You won't regret it (no ragrats!) I can also send some gear with Slew if he steps up and goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
Pm sent. I’m in!

Excellent!!! You WILL have an adventure with some crazy dudes!

When the fish are on, it can get fast and furious on deck!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #67
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Iím going to get some good pool poles and big leaf nets to Doug before you go.
I think itíll work great for catching live fliers.
Hate missing this trip. By far one of my favorite times every time.

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #68
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
What time do you head out on the 13th?
Usually about daybreak.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #69
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
Burnadell and breakfast.

What happens in the boat, stays in the boat right Burnie?

I certainly does, Cap'n!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #70
doug
Ten Point

If you need to get some gear to somebody Randy i can meet you on 59 when your heading to hunt. I HATE your not gonna be there! Not gonna be the same without you and Dale and a few of the others.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #71
Dushon
Ten Point

Iím in. Never been offshore before so Iím pretty excited. Any recommendations on motion sickness meds? ATW suggested Dramamine I believe. Curious as to what others use also.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #72
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushon View Post
Iím in. Never been offshore before so Iím pretty excited. Any recommendations on motion sickness meds? ATW suggested Dramamine I believe. Curious as to what others use also.

Iím very prone to seasickness. I go to the doctor and get the patch. I put it on the afternoon before the trip. Warning, it will give you cottonmouth big time but it subsides after the first day.
During the trip I sip on some ginger ale and nibble on some crystallized ginger if I start feeling nauseous.
So far Iíve never gotten sick on the 5 trips Iíve been on with these pirates.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #73
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
Iím very prone to seasickness. I go to the doctor and get the patch. I put it on the afternoon before the trip. Warning, it will give you cottonmouth big time but it subsides after the first day.

During the trip I sip on some ginger ale and nibble on some crystallized ginger if I start feeling nauseous.

So far Iíve never gotten sick on the 5 trips Iíve been on with these pirates.

So is that a prescription? Iíve never had motion sickness but I donít want to throw up for two days haha. Just want to cover all my bases

Old 09-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #74
Wits_End
Eight Point

Quote:

I thought some of the guys felt weird due to dramamine on the trip. Get some more feedback before going that direction. I found it best to immediately go up top on the boat and plant my butt in a bean bag facing forward. The fresh air and ocean view for miles will help get you prepared for later in the trip when you have to move around and then sleep. Even had a few cold beers as the sun came up.

Stay cool and don't lay down.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #75
Wits_End
Eight Point

Next year I'll be joining again and ill try to convince my brother again. Maybe rig up a net gun for those live flyers.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #76
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
So is that a prescription? Iíve never had motion sickness but I donít want to throw up for two days haha. Just want to cover all my bases

Yes sir, itís a prescription.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #77
TXJon
Ten Point

Very interested, PM sent to Atthewall.
TXJon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #78
dpatterson1976
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeBerry, Bettie

If you have never been and its on your wish list this is trip to go on.

I landed a 103# YFT on the last trip and had the time of my life. Lots of good guys on this trip. Listen to what they say to bring and dont over think it.

GET IN ON THIS TRIP!! You will not regret it!

dp
dpatterson1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #79
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatterson1976 View Post
If you have never been and its on your wish list this is trip to go on.

I landed a 103# YFT on the last trip and had the time of my life. Lots of good guys on this trip. Listen to what they say to bring and dont over think it.

GET IN ON THIS TRIP!! You will not regret it!

dp
Deep sea (true deep sea) fishing is not for everyone. But I agree 100% that if you want to catch fish and go deep sea then this is THE trip to go on. Best boat, captain, deck hand, and fishing crew you will ever find...ever.

I need/want some fresh tuna. Who will be driving back through Leander area after this trip
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #80
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

One day I will have to make this trip
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #81
glen
Pope & Young

Tim I’ll call you and get you some tuna. I always have more than I can eat raw and just can the rest anyway. I’ll hook you up
Old 09-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #82
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Tim Iíll call you and get you some tuna. I always have more than I can eat raw and just can the rest anyway. Iíll hook you up
Sweet. I'd be very grateful. Can't wait to eat 5 or 10 pounds of raw tuna again!
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #83
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
One day I will have to make this trip
I say that every year. I have fished with some of these guys, and cant wait to go again.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #84
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas and Franklin County (Unit 11), Kansas

Man I so want to do this, but already booked up this year. May have to try and make it next year..
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #85
Dushon
Ten Point

Can I get that email again? I accidentally deleted it when I went to reply haha

Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #86
NDN98
Eight Point

Looks like a fun trip
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #87
Biggs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Dakota

So... Flying Fish lures.... pink, blue, or white? Rigged or not rigged? How many?

Diamond jigs... Which colors?

Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #88
Burnadell
Pope & Young

I need to get my tackle bag out and sell some of my lures. I ain't getting any younger!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #89
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
So... Flying Fish lures.... pink, blue, or white? Rigged or not rigged? How many?

Diamond jigs... Which colors?

Flying fish lures. AKA birds. Pink are usually the color everybody throws but blue works too. Can never have enough tackle lol but 3 or 4 would probably do you. They usually make adjustments to the rigging so it really doesn't matter.

You can usually catch all blackfin you want on plain silver or glow in the dark jigs. Sometimes they get a little picky and maybe want something with a little pink in it. I would just stick to a couple of sizes in glow and silver and you should be fine.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:15 AM   #90
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Flying fish lures. AKA birds. Pink are usually the color everybody throws but blue works too. Can never have enough tackle lol but 3 or 4 would probably do you. They usually make adjustments to the rigging so it really doesn't matter.

You can usually catch all blackfin you want on plain silver or glow in the dark jigs. Sometimes they get a little picky and maybe want something with a little pink in it. I would just stick to a couple of sizes in glow and silver and you should be fine.

Doug, what was that black and silver jig that you gave me called?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #91
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Might consider a couple of Halco 130s
Purple and black, and Bonita have been good to me

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #92
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I need to get my tackle bag out and sell some of my lures. I ain't getting any younger!

Iíd buy a handful if you have some of what gear these guys are talking about.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #93
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Doug, what was that black and silver jig that you gave me called?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I dont have a clue Curt.

I forgot about the Halcos Dale. A couple of those would be good too!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #94
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Okay fellas. I know this is a guy trip and you all have the best time ever. That yellowfin tuna is the best sushi ever. If someone in the Dallas area needs a little sponsorship for a nice piece or two of fresh tuna for me to make some fresh sushi... I'd be happy to help with some cash.... not the same as catching myself. but I can count on ATTHEWALL to post great photos and great action stories. You guys have a great annual event going on for sure.... Keep up the tradition....
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #95
glen
Pope & Young

Got an email that we are full. Welcome aboard all everyone. Don’t overthink anything and be ready for another epic adventure. If you are out there and missed it always reach out as we have had someone have to cancel before and someone else got to sail

Tight lines amigos
Old 09-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #96
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Looking forward to following along... as every year.
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #97
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #98
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechgrubworm View Post
Okay fellas. I know this is a guy trip and you all have the best time ever. That yellowfin tuna is the best sushi ever. If someone in the Dallas area needs a little sponsorship for a nice piece or two of fresh tuna for me to make some fresh sushi... I'd be happy to help with some cash.... not the same as catching myself. but I can count on ATTHEWALL to post great photos and great action stories. You guys have a great annual event going on for sure.... Keep up the tradition....
Angie, you should do this trip! Get a friend (for emotional support ) and get onboard!
Old 09-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #99
ganngus
Four Point

Hunt In: Crockett/Guadalupe/Gillespie/Webb Counties, Colorado, & New Mexico

I have fished all over the world and, without any hesitation, I will affirmatively say that Captain Timmy (one of the captains for your charter) is the best I have ever fished with.

I would kill to go on this trip, but sadly I will be in Colorado chasing the mighty Wapiti...
ganngus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #100
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganngus View Post
I have fished all over the world and, without any hesitation, I will affirmatively say that Captain Timmy (one of the captains for your charter) is the best I have ever fished with.

I would kill to go on this trip, but sadly I will be in Colorado chasing the mighty Wapiti...
Timmy is great! Lots of experience and definately wants you to catch fish! Its fun to watch him run around the deck when the bite is on! He gets fired up about catching fish!!!!