Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #101
sectxag06
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

he got what he deserved. he murdered a guy and was found guilty of murder. good. the system worked.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #102
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
There was no need to kill the man.. I'm all about stopping a threat but when he passed out it and stopped resisting it was time to stop choking him.. If I was on the jury and saw that video I would have found him guilty of killing that man too and I'm as far from a LWL as one can get.. Wrong is wrong.

But would you have found him guilty of Murder? They charged him with murder which means he intended to kill him.

I would of found him guilty of manslaughter but not murder.

So the lesson in this thread is to mind your own business, just leave, call the cops, dont get involved, do nothing and continue to hide in the corner.

Our society has changed and not in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #103
bubba joe
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Thats a plan identifier under a henway.
or Himalayin
bubba joe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #104
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
Iím thinking things changed when Terry decided to confront a drunk guy when he didnít need to.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but this is something worth thinking about ahead of time. The ultimate goal is to protect the family day in and day out, not just one night at 2am at a Dennyís. With that in mind he had two options. He could have waited inside with the women and children until the cops got there or the drunk guy left. In that case the drunk guy goes to jail and everyone goes home 30 minutes later than they wanted.

Option 2 is to go confront him when you donít have too and put yourself at risk. If Terry had taken the former route heíd still be a hero to the kids he protected and heíd still be around to continue protecting his family. Instead he took the latter choice and is at best financially ruined, at worst in jail and financially ruined. Plus he has a manís death weighing on his mind for the rest of his life.

A lot of what is wrong today..... just dont do anything and dont get involved. Wife is a police officer pretty sure she can't just stand buy and let some one relive themselves in public. Guys he should have let her handle it....smh
RWB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #105
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Sure something should be done. The cops were on the way and he would have been arrested immediately. No matter how you slice it, we already know how this ended, with a dead drunk guy and Terry on trial when the alternative would have been the drunk guy going to jail and Terry going home. You canít just blame that all on Kim Ogg (no I didnít vote for her).

Didnít this happen at like 2am, or am I mistaken? Iím still trying to figure out why there are kids at a Dennyís at that time of night.

No the cops were there....his wife is a police officer is she not? He was detained until the on duty police officers showed up. I thought you were a police officer in uniform or not. Am I wrong?
RWB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #106
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Hernandez was rushed to Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital where he was placed on life support and slipped into a coma. He died 3 days later at the age of 24 when his life support was removed.

I just dont get how the Thompson "murdered" the guy 3 days after the altercation.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #107
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Terry Thompson Trial

Lock his *** up.

Last edited by J Sweet; 11-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #108
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
Hernandez was rushed to Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital where he was placed on life support and slipped into a coma. He died 3 days later at the age of 24 when his life support was removed.

I just dont get how the Thompson "murdered" the guy 3 days after the altercation.
Really?
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #109
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:

Not a lawyer here, but I assume if you shot someone and they died 3 days later, it would still be considered a murder. Not sure the time frame of of the actual death has much bearing on the charge.
LWC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #110
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Thats a plan identifier under a henway.
What's a henway??

TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #111
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
But would you have found him guilty of Murder? They charged him with murder which means he intended to kill him.

I would of found him guilty of manslaughter but not murder.
My 3 day comment was relating to this.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #112
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
My 3 day comment was relating to this.
I hear ya. But wouldn't it still be murder if you stabbed or shot someone and the actual death took 3 days? I don't think it matters how long it takes for your injuries to kill you....provided it was an actual murder. Not self defense, accident, etc...

Not to get too far off the subject. But why are penalties for Attempted Murder so much less than Murder??? Seems like the outcome shouldn't affect the sentence that much. Just because you are bad at killing shouldn't make that much difference.
LWC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #113
chadt1234
Four Point

None of us know what all was presented at trial. My un-lawyer opinion is that after the guy passed out and you continue to choke him for a few minutes, you intended to kill him and he no longer posed a threat to you. That's where the difference is. I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
chadt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #114
zbest_hunter
Four Point

What a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
zbest_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #115
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

If you have a guy in a choke hold you can tell when he goes limp and if you continue that choke hold I believe you know what is going to be the most likely outcome if you don't stop. Hernandez was being an obnoxious drunk that night for sure but i think Thompson went to far and should be found guilty of manslaughter at the least.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #116
batmaninja
Ten Point

But it was somehow different in this case?

Shooting someone and restraining someone via a choke hold, is different. If he wanted to kill the guy on the spot, he had top mount control, why not just bounce his head off of the concrete until he stops breathing. Dead guy had already thrown the first punch. I would wager Terrys body weight was more of a contributing factor than the choke.
Attached Images

Last edited by batmaninja; 11-08-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #117
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I find it concerning that same case, same facts with two dramatically different verdicts. 11/12 say not guilty and 8/12 say no crime at all. Next go 12/12 say murder and 25 years. Right, wrong or otherwise that bugs me. Seems too much like luck whichever go round you side with.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #118
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I find it concerning that same case, same facts with two dramatically different verdicts. 11/12 say not guilty and 8/12 say no crime at all. Next go 12/12 say murder and 25 years. Right, wrong or otherwise that bugs me. Seems too much like luck whichever go round you side with.

Kind of disturbing that two groups of 12 people presented with the same testimony can come to two radically different conclusions. Makes me wonder about the quality of our judicial process. Wonder how the one guilty vote from the first jury feels now.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #119
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

Quote:
If everyone who did something really stupid (drunk or sober) was worthy of being killed there wouldnít be a soul left on earth.
True statement.

I donít think itís murder. But, thereís better ways to subdue a drunk than using a choke hold.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #120
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchl View Post
Kind of disturbing that two groups of 12 people presented with the same testimony can come to two radically different conclusions. Makes me wonder about the quality of our judicial process. Wonder how the one guilty vote from the first jury feels now.
How do you know that they heard the same testimony?
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:07 AM   #121
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
But would you have found him guilty of Murder? They charged him with murder which means he intended to kill him..... x

TX law does not require intent.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #122
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

We ain't Florida, yet.

Actions have consequences good or bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #123
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
TX law does not require intent.
I stand corrected! Thank you for pointing that out.

Texas does not officially use the term "first degree murder" which can sometimes be a little bit confusing. Instead, the equivalent in Texas is known as "capital murder," which is murder for which a perpetrator can get a sentence of capital punishment. To convict a defendant of capital murder, prosecutors must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that:

The defendant intentionally and knowingly caused the death of another person;

The defendant intended to cause serious bodily injury and committed an act that was clearly dangerous to human life and this act caused the death of an individual;
or
The defendant committed or attempted to commit a felony (other than manslaughter) and in performing that felony, committed an act that was clearly dangerous to human life and this act caused the death of an individual.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #124
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
I stand corrected! Thank you for pointing that out.

Texas does not officially use the term "first degree murder" which can sometimes be a little bit confusing. Instead, the equivalent in Texas is known as "capital murder," which is murder for which a perpetrator can get a sentence of capital punishment. To convict a defendant of capital murder, prosecutors must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that:

The defendant intentionally and knowingly caused the death of another person;

The defendant intended to cause serious bodily injury and committed an act that was clearly dangerous to human life and this act caused the death of an individual;
or
The defendant committed or attempted to commit a felony (other than manslaughter) and in performing that felony, committed an act that was clearly dangerous to human life and this act caused the death of an individual.
You are kind of crossing two laws, Murder and Capital Murder.

Murder is intentionally or (not and) knowingly killing a person.

A person acts knowingly if he reasonably aware that his conduct will cause a result. In this case would he reasonably know that choking a guy out for more than a few seconds will cause death? I havenít read the case but apparently video shows 4-5 minutes of a chokehold. A jury had to make the decision in this case if the defendant knowingly killed the guy by cutting off his breathing for 4-5 minutes. It doesnít matter if intent can be proven.

Capital Murder is the exact same crime except additionally it was committed:
Against police or firefighter performing a duty
During a robbery, burglary, sexual assault, arson, etc.
More than one person
A child under 10
For hire

First you have to prove Murder and if the DA can then prove one of the special circumstances it then becomes Capital.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #125
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

A case for him "not knowingly" realizing he was killing someone could easily be made as hes seen that same method of rear naked choke used hundreds of times on tv during mma fights and it never once killed anyone..

That being said.
Doesnt take a genius to know you dont use the hold for ten minutes and expect a good outcome.

Also.. the hold..doesnt cut off breathing. It cuts off blood to brain.

Last edited by systemnt; 11-09-2018 at 07:17 AM.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #126
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
............... Also.. the hold..doesnt cut off breathing. It cuts off blood to brain.
IF done correctly.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #127
Captain39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Either way you feel; both families will now suffer for this for ever. I am no saint for sure; but just shows you should always think before acting. Had he just called the cops and stayed out of it, this would have never happened. I finding it disturbing that some of you are saying the guy who died got what he deserved, wow. Most of us have been drunk and done dumb things; I have probably urinated somewhere drunk when I was young to that I shouldn't have. But if you think that deserves death you have some other real hatred in you.
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #128
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
You are kind of crossing two laws, Murder and Capital Murder.

Murder is intentionally or (not and) knowingly killing a person.

A person acts knowingly if he reasonably aware that his conduct will cause a result. In this case would he reasonably know that choking a guy out for more than a few seconds will cause death? I havenít read the case but apparently video shows 4-5 minutes of a chokehold. A jury had to make the decision in this case if the defendant knowingly killed the guy by cutting off his breathing for 4-5 minutes. It doesnít matter if intent can be proven.

Capital Murder is the exact same crime except additionally it was committed:

Against police or firefighter performing a duty

During a robbery, burglary, sexual assault, arson, etc.

More than one person

A child under 10

For hire

First you have to prove Murder and if the DA can then prove one of the special circumstances it then becomes Capital.

Thank you! That was explained perfectly.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #129
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
Sadly, these days is much safer to turn a blind eye and not get involved. Get involved because of your moral compass and you go to jail or get sued. God, I feel sorry for my kids growing up in this insanity.
No wrong. He was peeing outside and was drunk. Not a fair fight. Moral compass???? Are fkng kidding me. The "good guy" killed a drunk guy for taking a leak. Where are your moral compass pointing too. I totally agree he was wrong for taking a leak where people can see but definitely didnt warrant him dieing
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #130
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Quote:

Are you serious with this question?? No air no brain.......smdh
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top