Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #51
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Yep and the folks at the Alamo could have ran and saved their lives as well.
Boy there are a lot of computer ******es around here. We’re not talking about Texas’ independence here. We’re talking about protecting the women and children at a Denny’s. Picking a fight with an idiot sometimes makes you an idiot too.

So you’re telling me that you’d willingly pick the option where you go to jail and a guy dies intead of the option of protecting the women and children and the bad guy going to jail option? Sound thinking...
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #52
Dustinb09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
I’m thinking things changed when Terry decided to confront a drunk guy when he didn’t need to.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but this is something worth thinking about ahead of time. The ultimate goal is to protect the family day in and day out, not just one night at 2am at a Denny’s. With that in mind he had two options. He could have waited inside with the women and children until the cops got there or the drunk guy left. In that case the drunk guy goes to jail and everyone goes home 30 minutes later than they wanted.

Option 2 is to go confront him when you don’t have too and put yourself at risk. If Terry had taken the former route he’d still be a hero to the kids he protected and he’d still be around to continue protecting his family. Instead he took the latter choice and is at best financially ruined, at worst in jail and financially ruined. Plus he has a man’s death weighing on his mind for the rest of his life.
He didn't need to confront him for peeing in front of his wife and kids??? Do you have no backbone? Don't say oh here's tough guy on the keyboard blah blah blah.... I'm sorry I don't care if you're so drunk you cant walk or completely sober if my wife or little girl sees your **** because you have no class and respect we will have problems. And it goes the other way too, if I'm so drunk I pull mine out, which would never happen because I was raised better, Please choke me out.
Dustinb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #53
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
A drunk violent man driving around with a 3 year old in the car threatens a man with a .40 call gun then dies when someone has the balls to confront him about peeing in front of his family?
Put me on the jury and after I give my not guilty vote, I will shake Terry's hand for ridding the world of another nasty POS human.
But wait. He was a kind, loving kid with a bright future. Didn't you see the family interviews???

Sad situation, but "not guilty" is my verdict.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #54
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
5 words....

George Soros backed Kim Ogg

Yep, LWL's now own the Harris County District Attonerys Office. They fired all the conservative prosecutors and replaced them with LWL's. If the defendant hadn't been a conservative white guy the DA would not have filed charges.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #55
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Picking a fight with an idiot sometimes makes you an idiot too.
Saying anything to a drunk automatically insinuates you are picking a fight?

"Hey come on dude their are kids around here" = "I'm going to kick the ever living ***** out of you".
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #56
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Yep, LWL's now own the Harris County District Attonerys Office. They fired all the conservative prosecutors and replaced them with LWL's. If the defendant hadn't been a conservative white guy the DA would not have filed charges.
Lots of truth to this
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #57
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Well, thats not exactly how it works.....some folks drink and drive. Most have lived, some have died. When they die, they basically brought death upon themselves. Maybe didnt " deserve" it, but thats one of the possible consequences. When you expose yourself to children, it is possible someone will stop you. If you resist and fight you may be killed. You could possibly die any time you fight, drunk or not.
These are teo very different scenarios. Are you saying that peeing in a parking lot is as dangerous to you and others as driving drunk?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #58
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinb09 View Post
He didn't need to confront him for peeing in front of his wife and kids??? Do you have no backbone? Don't say oh here's tough guy on the keyboard blah blah blah.... I'm sorry I don't care if you're so drunk you cant walk or completely sober if my wife or little girl sees your **** because you have no class and respect we will have problems. And it goes the other way too, if I'm so drunk I pull mine out, which would never happen because I was raised better, Please choke me out.
Sure something should be done. The cops were on the way and he would have been arrested immediately. No matter how you slice it, we already know how this ended, with a dead drunk guy and Terry on trial when the alternative would have been the drunk guy going to jail and Terry going home. You can’t just blame that all on Kim Ogg (no I didn’t vote for her).

Didn’t this happen at like 2am, or am I mistaken? I’m still trying to figure out why there are kids at a Denny’s at that time of night.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #59
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Saying anything to a drunk automatically insinuates you are picking a fight?

"Hey come on dude their are kids around here" = "I'm going to kick the ever living ***** out of you".
There is a clear distinction between the two. Once again all I have to go on is the news. A CBS article says that Terry blocked the drunk’s way to confront him and then put him in a chokehold. Sounds like there are A LOT of details left out there but its pretty obvious thats going to get a bigger reaction than saying “hey there are kids around here.”
Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #60
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

How long before the confrontation had the other guy called 911?

Either way, eff that dead POS, and eff the crooked DA.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #61
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
How long before the confrontation had the other guy called 911?

Either way, eff that dead POS, and eff the crooked DA.
Agreed eff the crooked DA (DUMB AZZ)
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #62
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
These are teo very different scenarios. Are you saying that peeing in a parking lot is as dangerous to you and others as driving drunk?
Hmmm...ok, now I see why you feel the way you do.....
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #63
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
A CBS article says that Terry blocked the drunk’s way to confront him and then put him in a chokehold.
well ok...that is exactly how it happened then. No more to be said. Lock him up!
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #64
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

What some people appear to be failing to realize the media is only telling you what sells. And no it didn't happen at 2am, the fact the video is in broad daylight should tell you that's not the case.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #65
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
What some people appear to be failing to realize the media is only telling you what sells. And no it didn't happen at 2am, the fact the video is in broad daylight should tell you that's not the case.
In their defense, as buffet said, its 2am somewhere...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #66
Roy Munson
Six Point

Quote:

It occurred at 11:40 pm. Was not during day.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #67
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Round #2.

Guilty.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #68
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
To be honest walking away is the best answer I have. Drunks are drunks and I have been around a bunch. Calling out people is asking for trouble and he found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bad all around but why didn't he call law enforcement instead. He fought with a guy 2 to 3 times drunk the legal amount. Sounds like he was wasted. Didnt sound like it was much of a fight. DRUNK GUY WAS WRONG. But fighting with a drunk guy and killing him c'mon man. Give me a break. Sounds like bully messing with someone that realistically couldn't defend themselves.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #69
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Except it wasnt.....

" Courtney, Thompson's attorney, said the jury voted 11-1 not guilty on murder, 10-2 not guilty on manslaughter and 8-4 not guilty on criminally negligent homicide. He said all 12 jurors agreed that self-defense law applied but two jurors could not acquit Thompson"
Ok, so they voted not guilty on all counts. How is that a hung jury?
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #70
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Ok, so they voted not guilty on all counts. How is that a hung jury?
Cause it wasn't 100%.

Dont matter now. Second trial found guilty

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #71
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey Thumper, for those of us that don't know what a LWL is. Well what is a LWL?
Old 11-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #72
batmaninja
Ten Point

I am guessing left wing liberals or ladies who lunch?
Old 11-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #73
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Supposedly he held him in the chokehold for five minutes? The last 3:38 or so after he quit struggling? The prosecutors showed the full video without talking during their closing argument. I think that’s what made the difference this time. I don’t know if murder was the correct charge here, and I get all the people who say he got what was coming to him after exposing himself (while peeing, not as a perv) to women and children, and then hitting someone. But self defense stopped as soon as the guy went unconscious. If Thompson then choked the life out of him for 3 1/2 more minutes, I have a hard time saying that was justified.

Last edited by bullets13; 11-05-2018 at 06:25 PM.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #74
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

I can definitely see manslaughter but not murder. I can also see this one getting overturned in appeals.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #75
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Not suprised by the verdict.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #76
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Cause it wasn't 100%.

Dont matter now. Second trial found guilty

So they got the verdict they wanted?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #77
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
So they got the verdict they wanted?
If "they" means ogg. Yes.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #78
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
I can definitely see manslaughter but not murder. I can also see this one getting overturned in appeals.
I doubt it.

Verdicts on appeal are usually overturned on procedural and constitutional matters. Evidence was entered that shouldn’t have been, a confession violated his rights, etc. Decisions on who to believe and such is up to the trial court.

In this case the trial court/jury made their decision on the evidence from the witness stand. Not liking a verdict is not grounds for overruling. IMO
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #79
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
I doubt it.

Verdicts on appeal are usually overturned on procedural and constitutional matters. Evidence was entered that shouldn’t have been, a confession violated his rights, etc. Decisions on who to believe and such is up to the trial court.

In this case the trial court/jury made their decision on the evidence from the witness stand. Not liking a verdict is not grounds for overruling. IMO
Word is that it would be over evidence that was not allowed. But you would know, since you have a law degree and are an expert.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #80
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Word is that it would be over evidence that was not allowed. But you would know, since you have a law degree and are an expert.
Hopefully you are joking.

If they have evidence that should not be admitted then it will likely be overturned.

Do you know what evidence was objected to but allowed by the judge?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #81
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
The insanity of Harris county.
Yep, elections have consequences, Harris county elected who the LWL'S and their news media told them to elect. If Thompson wasn't white, HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #82
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Quote:
Yep, elections have consequences, Harris county elected who the LWL'S and their news media told them to elect. If Thompson wasn't white, HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED!
Huh????? You are correct... If he wasnt white he would already be charged with murder. Give me a break.....always bringing race into it. He killed a man.... he should have never been involved. Eye for an eye
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #83
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
If Thompson wasn't white, HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED!
I dont think he was charged at first. Then the cell phone video leaked and things changed.

Sure looks like Terry ate a straight right that night at Dennys. Not sure when that got added to the menu, but that sure ups the ante in my opinion.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #84
tvc184
Pope & Young

The jury could still basically find him guilty of Manslaughter.

TX law changed a few years ago. It used to be in order Murder, Manslaughter, Involuntary Manslaughter and Criminal Negligent Homicide. Murder was 1st degree felony, Manslaughter a 2nd degree and Inv. Manslaughter a 3rd degree.

The old sudden passion of Manslaughter was incorporated into Murder. What used to be called Involuntary Manslaughter was retitled as Manslaughter. That was to recklessly kill someone.

So they combined Murder and Manslaughter and then renamed Inv. Manslaughter

The way it is written now the sudden passion of the old Manslaughter is brought up in the penalty phase. So a jury in punishment deliberations can reduce the punishment to the 2nd degree felony (instead of 1st degree Murder) which carries as little as 2 years and a maximum of 20 instead of 99.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #85
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

There was no need to kill the man.. I'm all about stopping a threat but when he passed out it and stopped resisting it was time to stop choking him.. If I was on the jury and saw that video I would have found him guilty of killing that man too and I'm as far from a LWL as one can get.. Wrong is wrong.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #86
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

What is a LWL?

Is there some other video beside the defendant laying on top of the deceased?

Was the deceased quietly peeing outside in a dark corner? Why is the altercation INSIDE the Dennys? Did the defendant follow the deceased back into the Denny's after he urinated?

Who honestly cares that much about their wife seeing some drunk dude's junk?
BuckSmasher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #87
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Sadly, these days is much safer to turn a blind eye and not get involved. Get involved because of your moral compass and you go to jail or get sued. God, I feel sorry for my kids growing up in this insanity.

Last edited by tbgascorer; 11-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #88
txhunter007
Eight Point

Yep. A perfect example of not worth it.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #89
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Why was there a second trial?
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #90
fishinguy
Four Point

Quote:
Very doubtful there is any room to over turn this on an appeal. I would expect the judge to give a light sentence based on the situation.

This really illustrated the difference between 2 juries. I expected this to end in another hung jury.

The biggest problem Terry Thompson faced was that the lady is telling him that he is killing the guy and he just keeps holding the choke until he killed the guy. Not to mention the other guy that is trying to obstruct the video saying the lady recording is going to be arrested.
fishinguy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #91
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
There was no need to kill the man.. I'm all about stopping a threat but when he passed out it and stopped resisting it was time to stop choking him.. If I was on the jury and saw that video I would have found him guilty of killing that man too and I'm as far from a LWL as one can get.. Wrong is wrong.
Yep
Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #92
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Not exactly.

The jury had one or two that couldn't get with the program of the rest. I mean at least one juror thinkss he's guilty of murder???!!!

After being on a few juries, I don't know how they ever get 12 people to agree on anything.

I was on one where even though there was no doubt the fellow was guilty, a Baptist preacher wanted to turn him loose any way as he felt the guy had been reborn.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #93
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Can someone tell me what the HECK LWL IS?????
Old 11-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #94
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
Thats a plan identifier under a henway.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #95
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
I "think" its short hand for "left wing liberal" which I am not...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #96
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
I "think" its short hand for "left wing liberal" which I am not...
Thank you. I was googling it and coming up with 'life wide learning' and 'little white lies'.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #97
batmaninja
Ten Point

25 years.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #98
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
25 years.
Ouch! Stupid move, now 2 families torn apart.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #99
Bumpy
Ten Point

Terry should of called the cops which is what should of been done. He took the law into his own hands. Correct me if I'm wrong isn't his wife a police/sheriff deputy or something?
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #100
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
After being on a few juries, I don't know how they ever get 12 people to agree on anything.

Pay a couple bucks per day, poor food and you can go home when you all agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top