Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #201
mtnbucks26
Spike

Hunt In: Clay County Tx, Push Co Ok

Okay , so here are few pictures of a good buck that were taken around Christmas time last year. Photos came off the trail camera the other hunters never returned for. How old do you guys think he is? I was thinking a 4 1/2 yr old as of last year in the photos. I was thinking he would make a nice shooter this year and hoping to get a few photos of him on the trial cameras.

Name:  IMG_0411.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0409.JPG
Views: 645
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0404.JPG
Views: 652
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0401.JPG
Views: 645
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0400.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0408.JPG
Views: 651
Size:  33.5 KB

Also here is the pic of the bear on 8/22 ... glad he isn't around anymore but man he looks huge to me. Is this typical size for the area or would this be considered a trophy bear?

Name:  IMG_0412.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  40.4 KB
mtnbucks26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #202
Texahoman
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Okie, Central Texas

Just made it back from setting up camp and scouting, we’re located on the very western edge of Honobia WMA a couple miles north of Cloudy and the pigs have showed up big time this year. The few guys we’re friendly with that camp just north of us shared a picture of a large black bear with two cubs still hanging around at the beginning of September. In my experience there that’s quite odd this far west and close to town but I know they’d show up eventually. Apart from that, the woods are probably more torn up with scrapes and rubs, two mature bucks on camera, just moved two more cameras to post and white oak flats that are loaded with acorns. Very excited for muzzleloader season! Wish everyone luck and more importantly safety!

Last edited by Texahoman; 10-06-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Grammar
Texahoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #203
caseys95m3
Six Point

Hunt In: A new place every year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelabs View Post
I also hunt near there. Watch out for your cameras. I had 4 stolen last fall...
Thank you for warning me. Because our property borders Honobia WMA, I don’t leave anything out I’m not prepared to lose. It’s truly sad that this is a real topic even on private property. Have you had any other issues like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texahoman View Post
Just made it back from setting up camp and scouting, we’re located on the very western edge of Honobia WMA a couple miles north of Cloudy and the pigs have showed up big time this year. The few guys we’re friendly with that camp just north of us shared a picture of a large black bear with two cubs still hanging around at the beginning of September. In my experience there that’s quite odd this far west and close to town but I know they’d show up eventually. Apart from that, the woods are probably more torn up with scrapes and rubs, two mature bucks on camera, just moved two more cameras to post and white oak flats that are loaded with acorns. Very excited for muzzleloader season! Wish everyone luck and more importantly safety!
Sounds like we’re very close to one another. I’ll be up a couple times each month this season if you’d like to meet up.
caseys95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #204
B G
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Pushmataha OK

I got up there Wednesday afternoon in time for the evening hunt. Saw deer all but 1 sit thanks to the Indian horses for eating all the rice bran and mineral at that stand location. Actually spooked them off of it the second morning. Got busted by a doe and twins at less than 10 yards one sit and had deer within 20 yards 2 other sits but they would give me a clear shot, just watched them through the brush. Took a shot at a hog Thursday evening but the arrow hit a branch I didn't see in the peep and went just over his back. Friday evening I got a 2 1/2 year old 8 point inside 15 yards and double lunged him quartering towards me. Then the real adventure began... Lets just say a call to the Game Warden to get a good wrecker driver as my truck decided to leave me stranded in the boonies until Whakm got there. The people at Kiamichi Tire are top notch honest, thanks to Warden Eric Barnes for that recommendation. Wife got a rental truck and came up Saturday morning to get me and all my camping gear along with the quartered up deer, thanks to Whakm for the help with that. My wife will be dropping the deer at CCR when she gets off work today as I am working a 12. Should get up to Antlers to retrieve my truck later this week. I will say I am glad I spent the money on a cell phone booster this past year, it allowed me to have enough cell service to make phone calls and texts where I normally have no service.
B G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #205
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push County Oklahoma

The mountains kicked my butt this weekend. To start out Friday morning Get 3 miles from camp and have front end problems on my ranger. Got it rigged up and limped back to camp.

Head from clayton to antlers to get parts from the Polaris dealer and my truck throws the belt on 271. Had a local stop and give me a ride to kiamichi tire services and got a tow back. Couldn't find any issues so we put a belt on (this kicked out butt for 2 hours). That's when we determined a idler pulley needed replacing, no parts in town so had to get it in the morning.

Saturday morning skip the hunt to repair ranger, thankfully we camp at a local guys property so we pulled it in his shop and made short work of the repair with his air tools. Got the call truck was ready so got it picked up. Cant say enough about kiamichi tire services they did me a solid and the prices weren't bad for a emergency.

Finally got to hunt Saturday evening and Sunday morning and got skunked both hunts. Just glad I made it home in one piece at this point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #206
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by B G View Post
I got up there Wednesday afternoon in time for the evening hunt. Saw deer all but 1 sit thanks to the Indian horses for eating all the rice bran and mineral at that stand location. Actually spooked them off of it the second morning. Got busted by a doe and twins at less than 10 yards one sit and had deer within 20 yards 2 other sits but they would give me a clear shot, just watched them through the brush. Took a shot at a hog Thursday evening but the arrow hit a branch I didn't see in the peep and went just over his back. Friday evening I got a 2 1/2 year old 8 point inside 15 yards and double lunged him quartering towards me. Then the real adventure began... Lets just say a call to the Game Warden to get a good wrecker driver as my truck decided to leave me stranded in the boonies until Whakm got there. The people at Kiamichi Tire are top notch honest, thanks to Warden Eric Barnes for that recommendation. Wife got a rental truck and came up Saturday morning to get me and all my camping gear along with the quartered up deer, thanks to Whakm for the help with that. My wife will be dropping the deer at CCR when she gets off work today as I am working a 12. Should get up to Antlers to retrieve my truck later this week. I will say I am glad I spent the money on a cell phone booster this past year, it allowed me to have enough cell service to make phone calls and texts where I normally have no service.
I was picking my truck up when the tow truck was leaving to get your I believe Saturday around noon, josh said he was going to rattan trail, I laughed and said go save some Texas boy on the mountain! Guess I was right. Lol

Old 10-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #207
B G
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
I was picking my truck up when the tow truck was leaving to get your I believe Saturday around noon, josh said he was going to rattan trail, I laughed and said go save some Texas boy on the mountain! Guess I was right. Lol

Yeah that was me. Mountains definitely kicked our butts this past week. Another lease member was headed into Antler Wednesday night and had a flat on Rattan Trail. Whakm called me Saturday evening and said he tried to sit out the rain until lightning struck near his stand. He quickly un-assed the area and headed home. Oh and MWW982 shot and lost a bear. Tough week.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #208
bttsj1
Four Point

Hunt In: public, Co, backyard
Default Looking for advice from Oklahoma hunters

Guys
I joined a large Weyerhaeuser lease this summer to bowhunt. I've been running several cameras all summer and I'm still clueless on these Oklahoma deer. This lease is very large and of coarse primarily pine forest but it has several creeks with hardwoods.
Spot #1 that I was initially enthusiastic about is mostly hardwoods with some pines, a nearby river and several hundred acres of private hardwood border it. This area is huge and seems like a bowhunters dream. Although upon walking the area over I was struck by the lack of deer trails or much sign.
So I put out a few cameras and waited. Well I'm getting very few deer pics and have gone a week or so without a deer picture at times. Although I definitely had a nice shooter buck picture a couple of times. About a week ago I put out 3 gravity feeders but there are tons of acorns so no action yet, maybe that was a waste. Also I have put out rice bran and hand corned but I'm only getting mostly coons and a few pigs.
Spot #2 is more typical of what the lease consists of. It's kind of rocky, has some elevation change and is near mostly pines with a few post oaks. What attracted to this spot was the deer droppings along with a few deer trails and I also found a couple of decent sheds. I put out a few cameras and have gotten a few deer pictures but not many. At least no pigs so far!
I don't know if I need to move to a totally new area or hold tight. This is the 1st lease I've been on in ovee 10 years. I primarily bowhunt public land in Texas. I'm just used to seeing a lot more activity. Maybe the deer numbers are just less than I'm used to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yea those are some big bodied bucks once you cross the red!

Thanks
bttsj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #209
B G
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttsj1 View Post
Guys
I joined a large Weyerhaeuser lease this summer to bowhunt. I've been running several cameras all summer and I'm still clueless on these Oklahoma deer. This lease is very large and of coarse primarily pine forest but it has several creeks with hardwoods.
Spot #1 that I was initially enthusiastic about is mostly hardwoods with some pines, a nearby river and several hundred acres of private hardwood border it. This area is huge and seems like a bowhunters dream. Although upon walking the area over I was struck by the lack of deer trails or much sign.
So I put out a few cameras and waited. Well I'm getting very few deer pics and have gone a week or so without a deer picture at times. Although I definitely had a nice shooter buck picture a couple of times. About a week ago I put out 3 gravity feeders but there are tons of acorns so no action yet, maybe that was a waste. Also I have put out rice bran and hand corned but I'm only getting mostly coons and a few pigs.
Spot #2 is more typical of what the lease consists of. It's kind of rocky, has some elevation change and is near mostly pines with a few post oaks. What attracted to this spot was the deer droppings along with a few deer trails and I also found a couple of decent sheds. I put out a few cameras and have gotten a few deer pictures but not many. At least no pigs so far!
I don't know if I need to move to a totally new area or hold tight. This is the 1st lease I've been on in ovee 10 years. I primarily bowhunt public land in Texas. I'm just used to seeing a lot more activity. Maybe the deer numbers are just less than I'm used to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yea those are some big bodied bucks once you cross the red!

Thanks
Took us a few years to get it dialed in. The bigger bucks rarely come to feeders but will hit hand corn and trophy rock. Find those trails with a decent opening that gets sun and put in a small food plot once you have deer on camera. Transitions from tall pins to shorter pines have been a good area to find sign for us. Top of a ridge last year got a lot of doe bedding on camera until they cleared out most of the pines taking our camera with them. I have noticed that several of the deer that have come to my sets come from a higher elevation to the set up or they stick pretty tight in the lower areas.
Good luck to you.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #210
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hammer down. Fellow lease member got a good en yesterday evening.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #211
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

That is a stud bro! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #212
caseys95m3
Six Point

Impressive! Congrats to your buddy.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #213
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Quote:

Heck yeah!
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #214
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:

Yes Sir!!!!!

And this, gentlemen is why we choose to hunt this area!

Thanks for sharing.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #215
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

I gut shot a 200-250 lb. bear on Tuesday. First time bear hunting, didn't calm my nerves and rushed the shot. We tracked that night for about 30 yards and marked the last little bit of blood we found and backed out. A buddy hunted the morning, I was frustrated at myself and did not. Waited for a dog tracker that came from McAlister and we picked up the trail around 10:30am. After about a half a mile the dog hit water and his actions changed, like he was on a different trail. Tried to the trail for a little longer with no luck. We tracked overall for about a mile and several hours, no recovery.

Disappointed in myself to say the least and my confidence is a bit down at the moment. Need to get a doe in and harvest it to build it back up a bit. Bear was only 17 yards from me, perfectly broadside. A dream shot, but I let my nerves\excitement get the better of me. Need to be more patient and make sure may aim is true. I hate wounding an animal and not making a recovery.
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #216
caseys95m3
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
I gut shot a 200-250 lb. bear on Tuesday. First time bear hunting, didn't calm my nerves and rushed the shot. We tracked that night for about 30 yards and marked the last little bit of blood we found and backed out. A buddy hunted the morning, I was frustrated at myself and did not. Waited for a dog tracker that came from McAlister and we picked up the trail around 10:30am. After about a half a mile the dog hit water and his actions changed, like he was on a different trail. Tried to the trail for a little longer with no luck. We tracked overall for about a mile and several hours, no recovery.

Disappointed in myself to say the least and my confidence is a bit down at the moment. Need to get a doe in and harvest it to build it back up a bit. Bear was only 17 yards from me, perfectly broadside. A dream shot, but I let my nerves\excitement get the better of me. Need to be more patient and make sure may aim is true. I hate wounding an animal and not making a recovery.

It takes a respectable hunter to admit to such a mistake. Sorry you couldn’t recover.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #217
mww982
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseys95m3 View Post
It takes a respectable hunter to admit to such a mistake. Sorry you couldn’t recover.

Thank you

Old 10-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #218
Okiehunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Push county OK

Arrowslinger did not tell the rest of the story. Sunday I tangled with a feeder winch that broke and unwound on my left hand. Only one broken bone but will be in a cast for at least 4 weeks, no bow shooting till then. Looks like I may have to dust off the MLer.
Okiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #219
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:

What a giant! Love seeing this! Congrats to your buddy! Makes me even more anxious to get back out next weekend and keeping fingers crossed for the lower temps.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #220
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiehunter View Post
Arrowslinger did not tell the rest of the story. Sunday I tangled with a feeder winch that broke and unwound on my left hand. Only one broken bone but will be in a cast for at least 4 weeks, no bow shooting till then. Looks like I may have to dust off the MLer.
That sounds terrible! Very sorry to hear that happened. Sounds like a good excuse to shoot a giant this yr with your muzzleloader. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you, I'm sure you will be back at it soon!

Second thought... I have two large deer feeders to put up using worm gear winches and a hex drive bit, planning on running chains between two trees with pulley in center. In the back of my mind Ive been worrying what could happen if there was a failure at some point and this makes me second guess even more if this strategy is best

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 10-09-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 AM   #221
monsterspike
Eight Point

Quote:

HEY NOW!

160 what?
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #222
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiehunter View Post

I separated my shoulder this few weeks ago. Had to switch to a crossbow for the year. Can you hunt with on of those. They have a crank mechanism to pull back or a hook it around the tree to a belt loop on each side and take off running to pull it back. I have not looked at the regs about them up there yet either.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #223
Split_Brow
Six Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County, SE Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Dark Side of the Moon

Arrowslinger, congrats to your leasemate! Was wondering what the scenario was when he shot him. Was it on hand corn, feeder, acorns, trail. Just curious because we are hunting north of you and have buddies hunting in your area. We haven't seen anything mature yet on feeders or hand corn. And that buck is a stud!

On the winch up feeders, those things are widow makers. I've been hit under the chin and once on the elbow, and we've had the cable break as soon as the full feeder reached the top and fall and crush the mechanism. Done with those for sure.
Split_Brow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #224
RogerBTX
Spike

I was fortunate to get to hunt in Choctaw County for 10 or so years. After my wife's uncle passed the son that got that 1100 acres immediately leased it out. That land was loaded with deer and turkeys and I miss hunting up there. Following this thread brings back memories of going up there. The week of muzzleloader season was usually the week to be up there. Bucks were busy then. Good luck.
RogerBTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #225
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split_Brow View Post
Arrowslinger, congrats to your leasemate! Was wondering what the scenario was when he shot him. Was it on hand corn, feeder, acorns, trail. Just curious because we are hunting north of you and have buddies hunting in your area. We haven't seen anything mature yet on feeders or hand corn. And that buck is a stud!

On the winch up feeders, those things are widow makers. I've been hit under the chin and once on the elbow, and we've had the cable break as soon as the full feeder reached the top and fall and crush the mechanism. Done with those for sure.
He had him on camera in a area he had minerals out, he hadn't checked that camera in a month. He was living in there lots of daytime pictures. The stand he had hung wasnt good for the wind he had so he grabbed his climber and tried to play the wind best he could. He come by at last light, after he shot him he went to look for him and he jumped him up. So Kevin went to camp and waited a couple hours when he was driving back out to look he was piled up in the main road.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #226
Terrell_County
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Terrell county

Great buck
Terrell_County is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #227
B G
Six Point

Name:  IMG_0786.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0803.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0804.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0805.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  101.6 KB

This is the one that I got Friday evening before my truck left me stranded. Came in to a bran mix from the south on a south wind. Quartering to me less than 15 yard, I was 17 feet high. Best blood trail I've ever followed on him. He isn't huge but the biggest I've taken with a bow. Pressure is off now so I can focus on a larger one now.

Will be going up to Antlers on Friday to get my truck out of the shop, they got the parts in yesterday.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #228
Okiehunter
Ten Point

Quote:
I separated my shoulder this few weeks ago. Had to switch to a crossbow for the year. Can you hunt with on of those. They have a crank mechanism to pull back or a hook it around the tree to a belt loop on each side and take off running to pull it back. I have not looked at the regs about them up there yet either.

We can but I should be back with the Mathews in 4 weeks. I will just hunt MLer week with the 50 cal and then back to a real bow. Cross bow will be a last resort for me.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #229
Okiehunter
Ten Point

Quote:
I hate em too. screwed up my finger and my hunting plans.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #230
mww982
Eight Point

Forecast looks great for the beginning of the week! Not sure if I will be able to get up there though.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #231
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Attachment 928124

Attachment 928125

Attachment 928126

Attachment 928127

This is the one that I got Friday evening before my truck left me stranded. Came in to a bran mix from the south on a south wind. Quartering to me less than 15 yard, I was 17 feet high. Best blood trail I've ever followed on him. He isn't huge but the biggest I've taken with a bow. Pressure is off now so I can focus on a larger one now.

Will be going up to Antlers on Friday to get my truck out of the shop, they got the parts in yesterday.

Congrats BG. Meat in the freezer!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #232
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
Attachment 928124

Attachment 928125

Attachment 928126

Attachment 928127

Nice buck man. Looks tasty too.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #233
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle Co., Antlers, OK., Salem, Mo.
Default 2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Sorry to hear some of you guys had vehicle issues. Not a good thing in country where cell service is limited.

Pumped to see some giants hitting the ground arrowslinger. Heck of a deer, your buddy knocked it out of the park.

Well I finally stuck a buck after about 10 years of bow hunting and it felt GREAT. At least 6 of those have been in Oklahoma for the entire season. Have had shot opportunities of decent bucks and had some really good ones hang up in the brush, grateful for the encounters. I’ve had a lot of great responses with bleat “can” calls as far as having them come in hard, but getting them to fully commit and step out once they were in close range has proven to be a challenge. Maybe if I had used a decoy they would have committed.
My recent hunt started this past Friday evening and went though Wednesday morning and I happily started my walk back to camp around 7:40 AM after I got my buck.
That comes to 5 days sitting in the tree, no sightings of mature bucks except for night time camera captures. On our last morning over coffee before the hunt my cousin and I where cutting up and laughing. Playing out a parody of the Drury outdoors videos we had been watching in the evenings, “Here we are, it’s come to our last morning here in Oklahoma. We’ve seen lots of does and young bucks, but no shooters. Sat many hours waiting though light rain showers and one torrential down pour that forced us to come in early. Let’s make the best of this morning and make something happen.”
When this deer stepped out and started munching on hand corn my heart got to thumping and I knew this would be a great first buck with the bow. He needed to make another step forward to clear a limb. In the meantime he stopped to check the air four times and I was praying he wouldn’t detect me. He took one half step but the limb was still in my way. I had a couple inches to step forward on my platform and that’s all I needed. He ran about 20 yards.

Wishing you all the best of luck this season. Post up them LDP’s!

Last edited by Vantage Point; 10-11-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Vantage Point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #234
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Attachment 928124

Attachment 928125

Attachment 928126

Attachment 928127

Congrats on the buck! Nice looking deer! This cooler weather thats moved in has got me itching to be in the woods. Of course my work schedule all the sudden is the busiest its been in 6+ months! Couldn't be worse timing!
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #235
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage Point View Post
Sorry to hear some of you guys had vehicle issues. Not a good thing in country where cell service is limited.

Pumped to see some giants hitting the ground arrowslinger. Heck of a deer, your buddy knocked it out of the park.

Well I finally stuck a buck after about 10 years of bow hunting and it felt GREAT. At least 6 of those have been in Oklahoma for the entire season. Have had shot opportunities of decent bucks and had some really good ones hang up in the brush, grateful for the encounters. I’ve had a lot of great responses with bleat “can” calls as far as having them come in hard, but getting them to fully commit and step out once they were in close range has proven to be a challenge. Maybe if I had used a decoy they would have committed.
My recent hunt started this past Friday evening and went though Wednesday morning and I happily started my walk back to camp around 7:40 AM after I got my buck.
That comes to 5 days sitting in the tree, no sightings of mature bucks except for night time camera captures. On our last morning over coffee before the hunt my cousin and I where cutting up and laughing. Playing out a parody of the Drury outdoors videos we had been watching in the evenings, “Here we are, it’s come to our last morning here in Oklahoma. We’ve seen lots of does and young bucks, but no shooters. Sat many hours waiting though light rain showers and one torrential down pour that forced us to come in early. Let’s make the best of this morning and make something happen.”
When this deer stepped out and started munching on hand corn my heart got to thumping and I knew this would be a great first buck with the bow. He needed to make another step forward to clear a limb. In the meantime he stopped to check the air four times and I was praying he wouldn’t detect me. He took one half step but the limb was still in my way. I had a couple inches to step forward on my platform and that’s all I needed. He ran about 20 yards.

Wishing you all the best of luck this season. Post up them LDP’s!

Congrats man! Awesome Buck! I bet all those years and many hours of waiting and waiting for the perfect opportunity made that buck even more special. And I can imagine it took a lot of patience! Thats what makes a trophy in my opinion! I bet you had one big smile on your face walking back to camp at 740am! I haven't killed a deer with my bow in about 5+ years so I'm super excited and hope to get some opportunities this season! Again congrats !
Old 10-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #236
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Another lease mate got one

Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #237
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

The big boys are starting to move it seems!!!!

Congrats to him. Nice deer!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #238
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Grayson, and Collin counties

Nice bucks starting to hit the ground. still undecided on if I am headed up this weekend. lots of rain on the way. I'll be up the entire MZ season and the first and last five days of rifle. Bow hunting is tough in our area (one creek road north of Finley) so I've nearly converted to an Oklahoma gun hunter only these days. Still use stick and string in TX where I hunt the most though. I've got a few cameras running. hope to be able to contribute to the game cam and LDP pics soon like in years past..

great deer vantage point
PSE-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #239
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

nice bucks!
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #240
arrowslinger
Ten Point

He did his part by showing up while I was at work.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #241
mtnbucks26
Spike

Arrowslinger thats one heck of a nice looking buck! Love the black on his forehead. Nice knowing a buck like that is at your stand during daylight... only if we didn't have to work during hunting season We would all kill bigger deer more often!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #242
steve morton
Ten Point

Mercy, what a toad
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #243
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve morton View Post
Mercy, what a toad

This, except spelled TOAD.

Wow. What a tank.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #244
ghost
Eight Point

Hunt In: In the woods

Here is one of my hit list bucks.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #245
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Here is one of my hit list bucks.

That's a good one!

Old 10-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #246
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Triple main beam shows up when I'm on my way home. Josh will be sitting in this spot the next 2 days. I wish him luck.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #247
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

On his feet during shooting light!!!!!!

Go get’em!

Good luck
Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 AM   #248
mww982
Eight Point

Just out of curiosity who hunts Push near Rattan?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #249
mtnbucks26
Spike

Name:  IMG_0440.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  25.7 KB

Here is one I'm after.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #250
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Grayson, and Collin counties

my place is in-between one creek and rattan road. rattan actually cuts our place in half.
PSE-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top