Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #51
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push County Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakm View Post
Be hunting Push county( n/ w of Rattan) for the first time this year. Gonna be a big change from hunting in Coke county. Don't know what to expect exactly (deer,turkey,hogs and bears.....that's gonna be a hoot). Hoping for a good year.
Hunt the wind, be patient, hunt muzzleloader week if you can, hunt from Christmas to close of season over feed. This is my experience over the last 3 years in push co. The bucks will come to the feeders if they have been there a while. If you can put out minerals our deer hammer the mineral all summer then back on it around Christmas. Rifle season gets crazy up there after the first week the deer go away for a few weeks just disappear, that's when I see them bachelor back up and start hitting feed around Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #52
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
Hunt the wind, be patient, hunt muzzleloader week if you can, hunt from Christmas to close of season over feed. This is my experience over the last 3 years in push co. The bucks will come to the feeders if they have been there a while. If you can put out minerals our deer hammer the mineral all summer then back on it around Christmas. Rifle season gets crazy up there after the first week the deer go away for a few weeks just disappear, that's when I see them bachelor back up and start hitting feed around Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Someone should bronze this and when in doubt, refer back to it. This is 100% spot on my experience hunting this area since 2012, minus the feeders. We hand feed in hog paneled feed pens. Iíll also say, in my experience, all those pretty pictures you get of those bucks all summer long, say goodbye early because they disappear a few days before opening day EVERY YEAR! Itís like clockwork, they are still in summer feeding patterns leading right up to opening day and then BAM, theyíre gone like a fart in the wind.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #53
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
Someone should bronze this and when in doubt, refer back to it. This is 100% spot on my experience hunting this area since 2012, minus the feeders. We hand feed in hog paneled feed pens. Iíll also say, in my experience, all those pretty pictures you get of those bucks all summer long, say goodbye early because they disappear a few days before opening day EVERY YEAR! Itís like clockwork, they are still in summer feeding patterns leading right up to opening day and then BAM, theyíre gone like a fart in the wind.

Exactly. Iíd be hitting it hard the first week of the season and then again in ML season. You never know who may show up.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #54
arrowslinger
Ten Point

First week can be good, especially if the bucks are still grouped up or on somewhat of a feeding pattern. We didnt get a chance to set up feeders last year due to a last minute move, but we do have 13 throwing buck ration 16% this year and prob 20 mineral sites. It was a rough go our first year on the place but did learn alot, so hopefully with all the feed and a little knowledge i can get lucky. Rice bran is another attractant if you dont have to fight the cattle off of it. We put out cameras on the feeders last weekend so should have some pictures in a month or so.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 AM   #55
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

It needs to cool down! Need to hang some stands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #56
ghost
Eight Point

Hunt In: In the woods

Anybody up here have access to a Dozer or know anyone who is in the business? I have a days work of Dozer work needed just outside of RedOak.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #57
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Anybody up here have access to a Dozer or know anyone who is in the business? I have a days work of Dozer work needed just outside of RedOak.

How quick are you needing it done?
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #58
ghost
Eight Point

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
How quick are you needing it done?

No huge hurry. I have 10 acres with a new cabin build. Cabin sits about 300 Feet from county road. I cut down trees cleared road with a tractor however I need the road worked better as well as some other clearing to give me better access. With a good Dozer D6 or Front Loader should take a man who knows what heís doing about 6 hours.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #59
Darton
Ten Point

PM inbound
Old 07-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #60
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

In for this thread. We just acquired a small lease in Pushmataha Co. Gonna be just the family to hang out at. Looks like mostly 15yr Pine with a few large trees left. Across the road from the Little River. Should be some good bedding and open areas to hunt. Every one around still has big timber. Anxious to get up and put some cameras and stands out.

jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #61
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunting39 View Post
In for this thread. We just acquired a small lease in Pushmataha Co. Gonna be just the family to hang out at. Looks like mostly 15yr Pine with a few large trees left. Across the road from the Little River. Should be some good bedding and open areas to hunt. Every one around still has big timber. Anxious to get up and put some cameras and stands out.

Sounds promising. Should be fun. In for the updates.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #62
acearrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nashoba, Ok

Quote:

part of our place is bordered by the little river.
acearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #63
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by acearrow View Post
part of our place is bordered by the little river.

Great to hear someoneís in the neighborhood. How is it out that way decent? We are a ways East of Hoshoba. North side of the highway.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #64
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Grayson, and Collin counties

glad to see this thread. im in! just put my cams out at my TX places yesterday and will likely be heading to Push in a week or two in order to do the same. Also need to work on my camper since apparently it has a leak.
PSE-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #65
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Great to hear someoneís in the neighborhood. How is it out that way decent? We are a ways East of Hoshoba. North side of the highway.

Did you mean Nashoba here? I ask because we are East of Nashoba just North of Little River.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #66
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
Did you mean Nashoba here? I ask because we are East of Nashoba just North of Little River.

Yes I did mean Nashoba.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #67
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes I did mean Nashoba.

Then howdy neighbor. Welcome. About how many miles East of the School?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #68
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Thatís kool we got some folks close by. I will post up some pics next week or so after I get up there and see what I got us into here. Should be kool.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #69
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thatís kool we got some folks close by. I will post up some pics next week or so after I get up there and see what I got us into here. Should be kool.

Forgot to mention we are about 6 miles East of the school.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #70
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
Forgot to mention we are about 6 miles East of the school.

We are about twice that far from the school.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #71
acearrow
Ten Point

we are about 3-4 miles east of the school and on south side of road. At least that is where camp is. river runs through property we camp on. Other part of lease is a little further south of the highway right where the river turns south and forms the western border to our place there.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #72
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Awesome. Looks like we got a few good neighbors at least. We should get together and cook a hog or something soon up there. Will be goin up at least 1 weekend a month till I get stands/camp setup the way we want.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #73
acearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Awesome. Looks like we got a few good neighbors at least. We should get together and cook a hog or something soon up there. Will be goin up at least 1 weekend a month till I get stands/camp setup the way we want.

plenty of hogs to be had up there. They disappeared off our lease for awhile but they are back now and need thinned out. Our land owner said he never saw them three years ago but they are trying to take a hold of the place now.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #74
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
plenty of hogs to be had up there. They disappeared off our lease for awhile but they are back now and need thinned out. Our land owner said he never saw them three years ago but they are trying to take a hold of the place now.

Good, I think. I was curious how thick they were in there in there. Did plenty of O&G work around Ardmore/McAlester and everywhere in between and never saw a whole bunch of them. Just a few groups here and there back in the 2000ís.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #75
asttbe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My yard

I was on a lease there for a few years. Nashoba Hunting Club. Big ole deer up there, pretty hard to hunt though
asttbe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #76
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Default 2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by asttbe View Post
I was on a lease there for a few years. Nashoba Hunting Club. Big ole deer up there, pretty hard to hunt though

The deer are wise and crafty in that part of the country. Been through many a season where I wondered why in the world I was still bowhunting.....then BOOM, a big old, nasty, swolle up beast materializes from the thick tangle, within bow range and I am reminded that the Kiamichi mountain donít give up their trophy deer without a fight.

If a man will put in the work to scout and hunt smart he can have success if things come together.

I wrote this a few years ago and will repost.

The Disease

I've got a sickness and the only antidote can be found in the rugged, rock and brush choked valleys of the Kiamichis, delivered by a swollen, stinking, testosterone filled beast so wiley and elusive that his cedar and pine polished antlers have yet to be spied by human eyes. Like a fever this disease assaults me in the night as my thoughts and dreams turn to flashes of a brown coat and faint glimpses of white through the shadows. The alarm's unrelenting whine plucks the ghostly silhouette and misty calm from me as I fumble to a semi conscious state. My blurry gaze clears and once again I stand at the familiar corner of business need and domestic responsibility. The clock and calendar, defeated enemies of a recurring nine-month's war are resurrected once again. Until I am released from this wallless prison the beast of my dreams shall live a few weeks more.....completely oblivious to the impending threat from above that awaits.

Opening weekend feels like a lifetime away.

Micah

Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-28-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #77
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Thatís a good read bro. Are yíall each buying new license/tags for each season (archery,gun,muzzleloader) as a non-resident or yíall just buying an archery tag and using it all year for all 3 seasons? I read somewhere I think you can do that. If thatís not correct please someone me.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #78
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Thanks. Have a lifetime hunting and fishing in OK from the 90ís. Will have to defer to others on that.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #79
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

Quote:
Thatís a good read bro. Are yíall each buying new license/tags for each season (archery,gun,muzzleloader) as a non-resident or yíall just buying an archery tag and using it all year for all 3 seasons? I read somewhere I think you can do that. If thatís not correct please someone me.

Since muzzleloader and rifle are so short we just bow hunt during for all the seasons off the archery license. No need to buy the other two. May buy a bear license this year, still undecided but had a bear last year I could have shot on opening day.

mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #80
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
Since muzzleloader and rifle are so short we just bow hunt during for all the seasons off the archery license. No need to buy the other two. May buy a bear license this year, still undecided but had a bear last year I could have shot on opening day.

Kool. Thanks

Old 07-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #81
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

My experience has been that some of the best hunting has been from muzzle loader to first week of November. Not super scientific but Iíve seen the most chasing activity then.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #82
acearrow
Ten Point

one guy on our place has the lifetime but the rest of us just buy the archery and only hunt with it during all the seasons. I can't afford to buy the rifle, muzzleloader, and archery.
I just wait till after deer season(or before), and use the AR to hog hunt. No need for a licence to hog hunt. You can even rifle hunt hog during deer season if you get a special tag or permit from the game warden.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #83
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

The hogs have come and gone on our place. When the bears moved in it seemed like the hog sign dropped to near zero. This might have been coincidence. In 20+ years of hunting this place Iíve never seen a hog while on stand and have only ran across them while walking once. That said, I donít hunt feeders on this place and have only begun using them in the last few years with my kids.

Between the hogs and bears I really donít know which Iíd take if I had to choose one. Donít like either.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #84
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
My experience has been that some of the best hunting has been from muzzle loader to first week of November. Not super scientific but Iíve seen the most chasing activity then.
This is when i plan to focus my main hunting time, witch i think is the most chasing. It just gets crazy with people up there for the rifle season and kind of shuts the deer down seems like to me. But the late season hunting feed from Christmas until end of season should be good also after the bucks bachelor back up.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #85
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

It is going to be a little different for me this year. We will be splitting time between Nashoba and our new place near Quinton this year. About to start running feeders up there to try to get my 10 year old his first deer.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #86
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Thanks for the help. Good info. Iím excited to get up there and check it out, start putting some time in.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #87
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Default 2018 Pushmataha County Oklahoma

Quote:
we are about 3-4 miles east of the school and on south side of road. At least that is where camp is. river runs through property we camp on. Other part of lease is a little further south of the highway right where the river turns south and forms the western border to our place there.

This is the guy that was running the river just East of your place a few years back. Aged out at six and a half years.

Having a set close to the river could pay off.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #88
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:
This is the guy that was running the river just East of your place a few years back. Aged out at six and a half years.

Having a set close to the river could pay off.

Dry nice indeed!

Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #89
Darton
Ten Point

Beautiful buck taken by a very dedicated hunter This is why we hunt Oklahoma gents!
Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #90
B G
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Pushmataha OK

If this keeps up I may have to sweat talk the wife into budgeting for a bear tag if MWW982 doesn’t get one!

https://youtu.be/CZIIamWiHd0
B G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #91
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

They are certainly persistent.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #92
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by B G View Post
If this keeps up I may have to sweat talk the wife into budgeting for a bear tag if MWW982 doesnít get one!

https://youtu.be/CZIIamWiHd0

When I watch this and see him pause and look off camera to the right I get the feeling that he had three redneck bear buddies egging him on and giving pointers about getting it to topple.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #93
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Went up and looked at our little spot. Gonna have to put some work. Found one spot that could have a set-up. The rest of it is super thick 15yr old clear cut overgrowth. The road cutting threw it is the best place to hunt but the rules say no-no on that (I think). Also I got a huge lease behind us that is gonna be using our road going in and out. Plenty of large tracks in 3 spots crossing and walking up and down the road. Gonna have to get creative with this one. I can see a monster hanging around in that thick crap not moving around a lot.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #94
Thehogwild23
Nubbin' Buck

Iím looking for a place up there or in push co or Bryan co but all I can find is subleased land seem way higher than what a lot of people I know are paying..
Thehogwild23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #95
Darton
Ten Point

Quote:
Went up and looked at our little spot. Gonna have to put some work. Found one spot that could have a set-up. The rest of it is super thick 15yr old clear cut overgrowth. The road cutting threw it is the best place to hunt but the rules say no-no on that (I think). Also I got a huge lease behind us that is gonna be using our road going in and out. Plenty of large tracks in 3 spots crossing and walking up and down the road. Gonna have to get creative with this one. I can see a monster hanging around in that thick crap not moving around a lot.

That country is like East Texas with hills! Find the windrows and bald spots to plant or bush hog and you will be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehogwild23 View Post
I’m looking for a place up there or in push co or Bryan co but all I can find is subleased land seem way higher than what a lot of people I know are paying..
Nature of the beast and you are still a nubbin so hang tough and mature and you may indeed find a place
Old 08-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #96
B G
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Pushmataha OK

Quote:
When I watch this and see him pause and look off camera to the right I get the feeling that he had three redneck bear buddies egging him on and giving pointers about getting it to topple.
Wonder if these 2 were cheering him on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcvmIFviHQ
B G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 PM   #97
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle Co., Antlers, OK., Salem, Mo.

Bears wiped out 2,400 lbs of corn in a couple months from our giant gravity feeder. They destroyed a barrel feeder and timer near by that had been empty. I donít think we will feed early in the year again.

Vantage Point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #98
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

151" 8 My FIL killed up there last year.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #99
locknload
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Hamilton Counties

Lots of action, good luck this season
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #100
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B G View Post
Wonder if these 2 were cheering him on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcvmIFviHQ

Yep. Gotta be what happened. That bear looked too clean cut to be such a vandal. Must have been bear buddy peer pressure. Those two look like a bad influence.