Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22” 6.5 PRC 130 grain pills— Realistic velocity????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
    I'm loading the 130 Accubond in my CA Mesa and getting 3100 with a 24" barrel. 58.5 grains of H1000 and a Rem 9-1/2 primer is my recipe. I'm almost at published max load, but I don't see any signs of pressure as of yet. I haven't pushed the envelope for more velocity because I'm getting .5 MOA and better, but I don't see the point.

Have you done any testing with H4831sc? I heard it works a little better with the lighter bullets.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
      Have you done any testing with H4831sc? I heard it works a little better with the lighter bullets.

Thanks for the info.
      No, I have not tried anything other than H1000 mainly because its what most everyone has recommended to use. I've seen folks use Retumbo, RL26, IMR 7977 and H1000. I may have to go to H4831sc because the others I've listed are getting darned hard to find. I've got one pound of H1000 and the guy had to dig to find it. It wasn't cheap either.

Have you tested H4831sc? If so, what's your load recipe? Thanks

Comment

22” 6.5 PRC 130 grain pills— Realistic velocity????

I’m getting 3072fps from my 6.5-284 (very close to PRC in terms of capacity) with 140 Bergers. This is with a 26” barrel.

I would expect conservatively 100fps faster with 130 grain pills so let’s say 3175.

Whack 30fps off for every in less barrel that has you +/- 3055 fps with a 22” barrel.

Of course all of that is speculation but I think what you want is achievable. You will probably have to play with powders to figure out what works best.

I could run you some better scenarios in Quickload but my computer is down for the count right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
          No, I have not tried anything other than H1000 mainly because its what most everyone has recommended to use. I've seen folks use Retumbo, RL26, IMR 7977 and H1000. I may have to go to H4831sc because the others I've listed are getting darned hard to find. I've got one pound of H1000 and the guy had to dig to find it. It wasn't cheap either.

Have you tested H4831sc? If so, what's your load recipe? Thanks

No sir I have not, well not in a 6.5. My 270 win loves it. I have read alot of people using it in short barrel 6.5 because it is faster burning that H1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I’m getting 3072fps from my 6.5-284 (very close to PRC in terms of capacity) with 140 Bergers. This is with a 26” barrel.

I would expect conservatively 100fps faster with 130 grain pills so let’s say 3175.

Whack 30fps off for every in less barrel that has you +/- 3055 fps with a 22” barrel.

Of course all of that is speculation but I think what you want is achievable. You will probably have to play with powders to figure out what works best.

I could run you some better scenarios in Quickload but my computer is down for the count right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Thank you. And yep I think your right. I'd be right there with the saum 4s as it is roughly 100 fps faster than the prc and 284.

Comment

I have a saum reamer and gauges if you wind up going that route. Let me know and I’ll loan it to you or work something out.

Comment

Originally posted by colestaton View Post
                I have a saum reamer and gauges if you wind up going that route. Let me know and I’ll loan it to you or work something out.
                I’m definitely leaning this way. What’s the specs of your reamer?

After a ton of reading I’m thinking I want the .120 freebore and .298 chamber that doesn’t require neck turning. I definitely don’t want to fool with turning the necks on my brass.

Comment

This one is the original 4s. .081 free bore .298 neck. Works great with 140’s in SA box. My next one will be .120 for 156’s. May see what 156’s look like in the .081 freebore this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X