No announcement yet.

Car Buying Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my last two without face to face BS. The older I get the less patience I have for that jackassery. If one doesn't come down to where I want, I'll go to the next one. Most are as full of S*** as a Christmas goose. Yes, I realize they have to make a profit, just don't try to skin me to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
      Give me your best stories on someone going into a dealer and getting an awesome price for a vehicle!

Been looking at getting a new silverado, ive watched videos on how to negotiate with dealers and how to watch for bogus fees, etc. Hearing some of the stories online was really interesting. Post up your story.

And specifically if you bought a 19 or 20 silverado send me a pm if you think you made a good deal. I dont want to get ripped off and I dont want to rip anyone else off either.
      I buy a new truck at least every year:

Shop online... trust me...

First and foremost, pick out exactly what you want. You may need to go in for a drive to figure this part out.

Once you have what you want, shop online. Find several dealers that have what you want. Make the compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogwild84 View Post
        I buy a new truck at least every year:

Shop online... trust me...

First and foremost, pick out exactly what you want. You may need to go in for a drive to figure this part out.

Once you have what you want, shop online. Find several dealers that have what you want. Make the compete.
        I would think buying a new truck every year you wouldn't have to drive no where, we work our deals over the phone or online then we send them their unit and pick up the trade. But the best advice I can give you is someone on here must have a good relationship with one of your local dealers and know a salesman or manager that has been around the same dealer more than 10 years, and that's the person that can help you quick and easy. And again if you need my help be glad too help.
        Last edited by no bait; 04-02-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          No, I have long been aware of the holdbacks, but not the exact amounts. Simply said, I have always been satisfied with using the invoice as my “benchmark” and have been satisfied with EVERY new car/truck I have bought. As I said, I believe it should be a win/win deal. If I am satisfied with the deal, it is a good deal! I posted my long suggestions because I see posts all the time asking about how much off the window sticker should they pay.

Did you negotiate your survey prices?
          Yes, sometimes.

If you thought you got a good deal that's all that matters. I was just saying you don't really know though. Holdback could have been 10k

I want a new Tacoma. Can I take you with me so I can buy one $500 over dealer invoice? And have you there so they don't get me with all the other BS charges.

Comment

Originally posted by no bait View Post
            I would think buying a new truck every year you wouldn't have to drive no where, we work our deals over the phone or online then we send them their unit and pick up the trade. But the best advice I can give you is someone on here must have a good relationship with one of your local dealers and know a salesman or manager that has been around the same dealer more than 10 years, and that's the person that can help you quick and easy. And again if you need my help be glad too help.
            Where is your dealer located, and what brands do you sell?

Comment

"The person you need to watch out for at the dealership is the Finance guy/gal.

Particularity watch out for dealer fee in the sales agreement."

This, absolutely.

Helped our daughter buy a used car a couple years ago. She found it & the price was a little below book. Car salesman didn't want to budge on price, but I finally got him to come down a couple hundred. Then we had to wait for the real salesman - the finance guy. We had to wait for this particular finance guy because the dealership was loosing a a few hundred at the sales price (their buyer had paid too much) and he had like a 90% take rate on extended warranties. He goes into his sales pitch about all the different extended warranties, being very careful to never mention words like optional. He completely mislead my daughter into thinking she had to take (& pay for) one. I simply told the finance guy, NO - of course several time, since once was not enough. But it was easy to see why he sold most customers the extended warranty. He admitted the plan on the car we bought was to take a small loss on sales price & make it up by selling an overpriced extended warranty. Plan just didn't work that time, but it did most of the time.

Buying my wife's car a couple years before that and the finance guy also puts in some dealer fee we hadn't agreed to. Again, sales price was probably a bit too good. I simply said, No not paying it. Make a new sales contract without that in it or we leave.

Of course he wasn't happy, but he didn't let us leave either.

Yeah, the finance guys are the ones you really have to watch. Understand everything that contract says, before you sign.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Yes, sometimes.

If you thought you got a good deal that's all that matters. I was just saying you don't really know though. Holdback could have been 10k

I want a new Tacoma. Can I take you with me so I can buy one $500 over dealer invoice? And have you there so they don't get me with all the other BS charges.
                I can make that happen but it will have to be when all this travel issues are over.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                  Just make sure they dont steal it 10 days later because they added a rebate by mistake.
                  How did that work out?

Comment

Theres NO such thing as getting a good deal on a vehicle from a dealership. If I find one im interested in at a dealership I call and ask the price a million times till I get the same salesman twice. I call again and ask for the guy that gave me the lowest price and deal with him. When I sit down with the finance guy I always do backward math. I don't want to know my payments I want to know how much the vehicle is costing me.

Comment

Back when Larance Marshall was open , I had a great relationship with the sales manager, I would just call ,tell him exactly what I needed, and he would call me back with the price ( usually under my budget) and ask for the mileage on the last truck I bought from them and ask what day I wanted it delivered, he would call my bank with the finance guy they would agree on my trade in price and new truck price then call me and ask what address , time , day to swap out, if I was in encinal we would meet at the sheriffs department swap keys they would pull any equipment I needed from old truck install and we would go separate ways
                      Did this on five trucks and was always happy, banker happy, and I guess they were happy zero haggling and always great price

Even wrecked and totaled one , called him after it happened and he sent a brand new truck to me all decked out and with gap insurance and a rebate was back at work in sarita tx with brand new truck (even delivered with same bfg m/t tires) , never needed to get a rental during the insurance claim

Full disclosure one of the owners was my dad’s business partner In another company
                      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-02-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        Yes, sometimes.

Certainly you can take me with you, but you will need to compensate me. We can figure out the appropriate remuneration after the purchase 🤭; mileage, per hour rate for my (expensive) time, travel expenses, etc. I can just bill you. I trust you to pay it, so you should trust me to bill you fairly! 🙄😉😂

Forget about the holdback. You have no way of knowing precisely what that is, so don’t complicate things. Would you want your customers asking what your labor costs, expenses are when you quote them a price for your surveys?

Just start with the invoice cost and go from there.

Why would you buy a pos Saturn if you want a good deal. Cheap junk is not a good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                          Randy stated the only way to know a deal was good. He (the buyer) was satisfied, nothing else matters. I always feel like I took it in the shorts!
                          Robin, you are correct. I probably could have negotiated them down a few hunnert dollars, on a $40m-$50m vehicle...why? I understand their need to make a profit, but I am confident that I got a good deal on every vehicle I have bought. Others may have gotten a GREAT deal. The last two trucks I bought, I dealt with the owner. I don’t want to leave his dealership thinking I am a jerk who tried to cut into their fair profit.

Seriously, call me next time you are in the market. I will walk you through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
                            How did that work out?
                            this was answered in an earlier post.

Comment

If anyone is in the market or needs a vehicle now is the time. I have been in the business for 28 yrs and will advise that its a buyers market no doubt. And if I can help anyone put a car deal together feel free to reach out even if you buy from someone else, just offering free advise and guidance.
                              thanks for the offer no bait!

Comment

I'm not near whitesboro, TX but I always check with Holiday auto group on the web because they consistently post the lowest internet prices right on their page. It's a good bargaining chip.

Comment

Working...
                                X