Said Goodbye to Rowdy - the Red Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Said Goodbye to Rowdy - the Red Devil

Today we said goodbye to the best dog and partner and the best deer dog I’ve ever had the privilege of owning. I loved her more than any dog I have ever known. I spent more time in the truck and woods with her than my own family. Rowdy wasn’t just my dog…we were a team.

She was beautiful - as most crazy females are. Her eyes set wide on her face like a shark…and she had the personality to match. She was a difficult dog to manage. You wouldn’t dare stick your hand in the truck with Rowdy perched on the console like a sentry. But she had a sweet side that would come out... especially when she knew it was time to go find a deer. She taught me about patience and compassion and how to read a dog.

Two weeks ago Rowdy started acting lethargic and weak. She no longer wanted to go on her beloved walks in the evening. Followed by a refusal to eat anything at all including her favorite raw deer burger.
    Initially, our vets struggled to understand why she was anemic but, after several rounds of tests and two ultrasounds we found out she had bleeding tumor on her liver. We made plans to try to remove the tumor early next week but she didn’t make it that long.

Rowdy, I always thought you would go down in a blaze of glory. I’m sorry it had to be like this. You’ve been gored by deer, shot, blinded in one eye, and broke down by a torn Achilles tendon, only to come back each time running like the wind.
    It’s so unfair that the toughest dog I’ve ever known - a warrior capable of overcoming any obstacle - lost to cancer at a young age.

Rowdy found well over 150 deer in her short life. Last season was our best in terms of recoveries. We had several difficult tracks where we pursued deer a mile or more and one we ended up coming in 24 hours behind and still catching after a 900 yard track and chase.
    It got to where I could predict the outcome of almost every track based on the sign. She was that reliable.

Dammit it, Rowdy, we had a lot more deer to catch. Five seasons with you…we were just getting started.

To those that put their trust in us, I thank you for the opportunity. To those that helped and supported us along the way - we couldn't have gotten there without you.

Goodbye sweetheart. I know you’re up there chasing them deers in heaven.
    You did a good job. I’m so proud of you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_05_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	25211153

Name:	rowdy4.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	25211154

Name:	photo_06_sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	25211155

Name:	photo_08_sm.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	25211156

Name:	photo_11_sm.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	25211157

Name:	photo_22_sm.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	25211158

Name:	photo_38_sm.jpg
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	25211159

Name:	photo_42_sm.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	25211160

Name:	photo_44_lg.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	25211161

Name:	rowdy2.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	25211162

Nothing better than a really good dog.
    I am sorry for your loss!

Comment

Sorry about your loss

Comment

Comment

So sorry for the loss of your family. There is another Rowdy out there right now waiting to be found. None are exactly the same, but I promise there is another dog out there waiting for you..

Comment

Its not fair that dogs don't live forever. They should so we all could have that one forever pet. So sorry for your loss.

Comment

So sorry to hear that. I believe it was Rowdy that helped find my dad's first bow buck out near Lometa a couple of years ago. He still tells the story often, and Rowdy made that story have a happy ending, so we are very thankful for the team of you and Rowdy.

Comment

That sure must be hard. I know y'all were partners. I had to put my Jake to sleep in January and it really took a toll on me. I will keep you & Rod in my thoughts & prayers. I actually found solace in a Winnie The Pooh poem.

“How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

Comment

Prayers Up Courtney. Losing a pup sure hurts.

Comment

Aw man! I hate that for you! It hurts.

Comment

Aw man hate to read this. So sorry for your loss mam!

Comment

Absolutely hate to hear this! The good one’s always go way too soon. So sorry ma’am.

Comment

Prayers sent sista

Comment

So sorry for your loss. We just lost our yellow lab due to blood in her lungs and a clot breaking free. She died in my brother hands at home after spending 6 hours in the vet that day..

Comment

Sorry for your loss. I absolutely hate this.

Comment

Working...
                              X