Solo Hunting Western States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo Hunting Western States

How many of you guys solo hunt elk and mulies in the back country? Just curious to hear from you guys on some of the bigger challenges you faced. With the right fitness, preparation, and gear I'm confident I can get it done, I just know it's going to have its challenges.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've solo hunted mulie, but wasnt backcountry. Biggest problem was keeping myself fed, as I'm terrible about stopping to eat a quick snack. And keeping my stuff from burning down cause some dipwad nearly burned the whole federal park down...
    Going bear hunting out west, bigger difficulty this trip will be narrowing area to hunt and how to hunt it. With a little effort, logistics of eating/sleeping and where aren't too bad.

Comment

I’ve hunted deer and elk solo. Hunted deer for 9 days solo. I’ve found that I am more successful when I hunt more aggressively. When I was solo I was more reserved and less aggressive. If you can deal with not having anyone to talk to and bounce ideas off of, then solo is great because you are your only limitation. Now that I have an inReach and sat phone I feel like I wouldn’t change my hunting style as much as when I didn’t have any mode of communication.

Comment

Done it three years now. Only spot I struggle is finding that first elk while glassing. Once I spot it, my eyes get trained what to look for, and then I see them all over the hills in the trees. But it always takes a minute to find that first one. Hard to believe, but spotting an elk in Montana is very different than spotting one in Colorado.

The hardest part is the part you can't control, the draw process. Finding a unit you can consistently get into year after year is difficult. Working out is easy, researching units easy, packing your gear, all easy. But having a reliable unit is a crap shoot.

Comment

I use to at the king ranch but not anymore

Comment

I would do it if all my buddies backed out on our group elk hunt we do every year but man the pack out would be a beast for an elk... I would say it’s still worth it though, chasing elk with a bow is definitely my addiction right now!!

Obviously physical preparation is huge but I think the mental preparation is just as or even more important. I know in September after 5 days of some blown opportunities I had to regroup mentally and stay focused on the prize. Ended up shooting my bull on the last day before I had to leave

Comment

You can do it, lots folks we know hunt solo.
              Take precautions; watch the weather, have a way to contact someone in case of emergency, hunt smart- stay out of iffy areas and be prepared for the pack out.
              You would be surprised what you can hunt within 1 mile or 2 of a road, roads are pretty much everywhere on the NF.
              You will also find locals are willing to help when you need it.

Comment

Been doing it for 30 yrs.
                Killed my first antelope solo at age 11, almost died that day.
                First deer solo before the age of 8.
                First elk solo at 14.
                I have 0 interest in hunting with anyone.
                Our Colorado group ranges from 4-10 just about every yr.
                I pack in the day before the opener and don't see anyone until I kill something.
                Been following that routine for 26 yrs now.
                Nothing quite like the solitude the back country offers, or even just some small woods for that matter.

Comment

You can do it. Great you are researching now. I would recommend you check out Rokslide website for information and help.

Are you driving or flying?
                  My experience is flying and a lot of obstacles that I can help with if that route. I will say, after doing it 3x I am driving I think from now on if I can help it

Are you camping out over night?

How are your woodsman skills?

A satellite phone isn't necessary but is a great tool to have for peace of mind

I bring 2 to 3 of important things in case something breaks or I lose it. That has come in handy for me. I would bring an old school compass and not rely strictly on your phone or gps device in case batteries die, you lose it, or it breaks in a fall.

Will there be a chance for snow? I have advice on what to get for that

What elevation are you hunting at? 5 to 7k is not bad. 10k plus will wear on you even if in shape, especially if packing in a big bag to camp. If going light, still will kick your butt climbing elevations but you can do it.

Just take breaks, plan on walking A LOT

Packing out... that was brutal. It took me 19 hours... or maybe 21 I don't remember off hand. I wrote it down somewhere. Anyway, it was about 210 lbs I packed out of boneless meat except for one front shoulder. It was 9 degrees at night while skinning and I left the front shoulder for the next day in which it was frozen like a rock.

I packed the meat out in 3 trips in a foot of snow. The head and hide were the heaviest part as I had left intake that night and frozen. I wanted the head mounted and was inexperienced caping so I left more hide than needed.

Randy Newberg needs to be your best friend. Listen to his podcast and go to his website. The name escapes me but google it. Good information and helpful people.

If you give me more specifics of your trip I can help you get in right direction

I would start climbing on a treadmill at the tallest incline. Don't use hands to hold the rails when you can. Stairs would be another great thing to incorporate. Anything to build up your lungs and leg strength.

Now do you have to workout? NO. It would make hunting easier and you more effective if you can. Especially with your recovery on day 2, day 3, day 4 etc of your hunt when you are sore and wearing down.

Comment

I haven't hunted solo but I have climbed solo in Colorado. Mostly 14ers. A lot of good advice up above. If I were to assume this was your first time I would add to not just work out on pavement. Spend a good amount of time hiking on uneven trails with weight in order to build up your core balancing muscles. You will expend more energy dealing with those issues than you will with moving up and down.

And learn the signs of edema. Hunt high and sleep low.

I will be going back for solo hunts to areas I am familiar with in the next couple of years. I have 4 elk points in Colorado, which doesn't mean much, I know, but will get me a decent archery tag. At 61, I haven't climbed in about 5 years and I'm way out of shape. But you don't need to be in tip top shape. My last climb was a 19 mile 6,000 ft elevation gain trek. I took an extra day at 12k feet to acclimate before the final ascent. I am 5' 8" and weighted 230 when I did that climb. It was tough but I had worked out and I knew my limitations. I took it slow and allowed for the extra time I would need.

Comment

Might be helpful:

Well 2020 has rolled around I am possibly on the verge of my first ever solo archery elk hunting experience....for other solo hunters - What is the one tip, strategy, suggestion you wished someone would have told you prior experiencing your hunt? What was the most surprising thing you just...

For me, my buddies didn't want to go with on my first elk hunt. So I cut my teeth hunting elk solo with my bow. Hunting with others is somewhat awkward now. After that first season, I was hooked! I knew nothing about elk. But I knew I wanted to know about elk. I've had mucho help along the way...

Comment

Hunted mulies in the backcountry solo multiple times. Honestly I didn’t notice a difference in anything other than not having someone to talk to and BS with to pass the time when things were slow. I plan to solo sheep, goat, and bear hunt here in the next few years.

Comment

I base camp with a couple friends.. they like to sit in stands like they are deer hunting so I go off by myself.. the area we hunt people either hunt within a mile of camp or 4 or 5 miles in . So I try to hunt between.. I usually make day trips but I'm planning on spike camping this year.. walking 6 to 10 miles a day isnt easy.. you can always be in better shape. Pace yourself and you will be fine..

Comment

Working...
                          X