TPWD changes passed for MLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
    Awesome. So what extra work is our state biologist gonna do for us with this extra $$? Conduct the helicopter survey? Wait, we do that. Maybe take care of the several habitat management practices that need to be done each year? Wait, we do that. Oh, I guess he will come up with our Wildlife Management Plan? Nope, we did that too. Silly me, he will surely print out our tags and mail them to me? Silly me again, I have to print my own tags. Remind me again what this $300 is for?
    LOL made me spit my red bull out! I don't know exactly what it's for but for a "government run" program I suppose I have to agree with you. My biologist is a super nice guy don't get me wrong but he hasn't been on my ranch is three years. I do everything. I guess I am paying for the "rights" to the tags maybe? I have no idea but I don't make money off the program, It helps us keep the deer population down. If I didn't get extra tags each year the ranch would be overrun.
    I have always assumed others are utilizing the program more than I am but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Folks will be screaming from the rooftops about paying a small fee for a government program they enjoy ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We do way more than most, and spend a lot of money and time to be in this program. Tpwd should pay us!

Comment

I'm not one to complain about first world problems but this doesn't excite me.

As sportsman, we fund most of the state outdoors programs which everyone enjoys already.

I pay $500 for a small lease to myself and have limited interaction with the local biologist. One or two emails a year which gets me 3 doe tags for the 450 acres I hunt. I can pay the $300 and continue as is or drop MLD and kill 2 does during bow season or Thanksgiving weekend....Hmmmm.....Basic economics tells me that 3 doe ain't worth $300 when I have other places to hunt as well.

I'm all for supporting the resources I use but it's not an equitable deal for me so I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Is that a yearly fee?
          Yes

Comment

The way it’s set up now. We the hunters do all the work. I was told the fee will hire more biologists. No idea if that is ultimately what will happen with the money.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
              We do way more than most, and spend a lot of money and time to be in this program. Tpwd should pay us!
              Whats the benefit? More tags,longer season? Tax savings? Just curious.

Comment

Maybe they'll hire more GW's with the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Maybe they'll hire more GW's with the money.
                  I certainly hope not. Too many cocky young ones out there now, harassing honest people.

Comment

I wish they would **** can then MLD system

Comment

Awesome. So what extra work is our state biologist gonna do for us with this extra $$? Conduct the helicopter survey? Wait, we do that. Maybe take care of the several habitat management practices that need to be done each year? Wait, we do that. Oh, I guess he will come up with our Wildlife Management Plan? Nope, we did that too. Silly me, he will surely print out our tags and mail them to me? Silly me again, I have to print my own tags. Remind me again what this $300 is for?

You really think the admin of this program is “free” ?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                        You really think the admin of this program is “free” ?

You seem to have quite a beef with the program, or at least with those of us on it. Why?

No I don't think the admin is free. But for what our state biologist does for us, it isn't worth $300 either. And when TPWD sent out emails to us for opinions I stated that to them. I also stated that I could see a fee of some sort for new-comers to the program to get set-up, but why should those of us that have been on it for 20 years now be subject to a fee? The state biologists literally do NOTHING for us other than enter our numbers into a formula and tell us how many tags we get. This same thing could be accomplished with an online formula/link thingy where we enter our numbers and "it" tells us how many tags we get.

I believe when the program was started the additional tags and additional season length were the incentives to get landowners to better manage their own deer herds and habitat. Landowners and hunters benefitted, and Texas benefitted. Now it's just a BS tax. They asked for our opinions and I know of NOT ONE participant who was on board with the fee...and I know a lot of them. Our opinions obviously didn't matter to the state as they likely already had the wheels in motion for the tax to go into effect. Total BS.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          I wish they would **** can then MLD system
                          So a program that was implemented by the state, that is watched over closely by the state, to insure that future generations can enjoy whitetail deer...should be dropped.... gotcha!

Comment

I'm telling yall.. quit the MLD, don't pay the fee, in a few years the state will be OVERRUN with deer. Then tpwd will partner with another govt organization to pay you to enroll in a program to decrease the deer population.

That's chess, not checkers.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              They already decide on the change and then ask people's opinion
                              13 inch rule
                              4 day doe season
                              Flounder restrictions
                              And on and on and on

What gets me is you have to buy a fishing license but you can't fish unless you also buy a fresh or saltwater endorsement.

Comment

You seem to have quite a beef with the program, or at least with those of us on it. Why?

No I don't think the admin is free. But for what our state biologist does for us, it isn't worth $300 either. And when TPWD sent out emails to us for opinions I stated that to them. I also stated that I could see a fee of some sort for new-comers to the program to get set-up, but why should those of us that have been on it for 20 years now be subject to a fee? The state biologists literally do NOTHING for us other than enter our numbers into a formula and tell us how many tags we get. This same thing could be accomplished with an online formula/link thingy where we enter our numbers and "it" tells us how many tags we get.

I believe when the program was started the additional tags and additional season length were the incentives to get landowners to better manage their own deer herds and habitat. Landowners and hunters benefitted, and Texas benefitted. Now it's just a BS tax. They asked for our opinions and I know of NOT ONE participant who was on board with the fee...and I know a lot of them. Our opinions obviously didn't matter to the state as they likely already had the wheels in motion for the tax to go into effect. Total BS.

I don’t have any issue with the program as it was intended when we all signed up 20 years ago. Instead of a management tool it’s now a courtesy. Too many are on the program that shouldn’t/don’t qualify as originally intended. There should have been an admin fee from the start for all of us on it. The software admin costs and state employee time should be covered by those actually using the program. That’s not a “hard” concept to grasp.

Comment

Working...
                                X