• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Question

Do you shoot Jakes?

Absolutely.

Comment

If he’s not with bigger more mature birds I’m shootin.

Comment

Yep! They are just as tasty!

Comment

Sometimes. Depends on the size of the others I've been seeing around.

Comment

In a heartbeat! I shoot any turkey with a beard!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Been known to shoot one or two

Comment

Not any more....there are some bigger birds somewhere. I used to mow ‘em down though

Comment

I have, but not lately. That was more of a thing when I had less time to hunt and a taste for fried breast filets.

Comment

It’s like shooting 1.5 year old spikes. I try to let them grow up a little before I kill them

I have shot one jake. Had a run of bad juju turkey hunting in Kansas one year. And broke the bad karma on a jake

Comment

I shot one by accident last year. Three big gobblers - trailed way behind by a jake - were out in a greenfield chasing a hen - a really big one in the lead. I hustled around and got in front of them and 30 minutes later the hen brought them right by me. I just had a hole in the brush to shoot through. The hen went by and I blew the head off the next turkey that appeared thinking it was the biggun’. When the smoke cleared I realized the jake had charged ahead of the older birds. Not a trophy but he fried-up real nice

Comment

No .....I'd rather pass simply because today's jakes with nubs are tomorrow's longbeards with good spurs. I love to hunt/shoot turkey with good hooks and a good beard. They can't get there shooting them as a jake so I pass them. That's just a personal choice for me though. To each their own...

Comment

Haven't yet.

Comment

I would say depends on if you’re a beginner or veteran turkey hunter. When I first started almost 30 years ago I would shoot a jake in a minute. As time went on I started to let them walk and age a bit. They both eat good. Good luck hunting!
                            Last edited by topher; 04-11-2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

No

Comment

Working...
                              X