Game camera location possibly causing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game camera location possibly causing problems

Just curious, if anyone has mounted game cameras, at different heights and angles in the same place and gotten different results.
    I have had cameras out on our place since last October. I have had some of the cameras in the same place ever since. Typically I get about 1100 to 1700 pictures in a weeks time from the camera pointed at the feeder. It was mounted about 3' off the ground on a oak tree 20' from the feeder. Last weekend I moved that same camera up about 10' off the ground, in the same tree, pointed at the feeder. I just got 3792 pictures from one week.

I have another camera, near the feeder, pointing down a trail, that goes to the feeder. I have typically gotten between 15 and 70 pictures in a week on that camera. I mounted it up about 10' from the ground, in the same oak tree, pointed the same direction. I got 354 pictures since last weekend.

I have suspected that there are some bucks that avoid my cameras. I have gotten many pictures of bucks and doe, looking straight at the cameras. After I moved the cameras 10' off the ground, I don't have any pictures of deer looking at the cameras. They seem to spend a lot more time at the feeder. I have quite a few pictures of critters that I rarely got pictures of, from the same two cameras. I thought it was odd, that I almost never had pictures of coons at my feeder, but I have seen coon tracks going towards the feeder on some of the trails heading towards the feeder. I also never got pictures of foxes at the feeder. Now I have a lot of coon pictures from the feeder camera. Multiple fox pictures from the feeder camera. Then a whole lot more pictures of squirrels at the feeder. I am wondering if it was a case of the cameras were just not taking pictures often or are the animals showing up more because of lack of cameras or lack of cameras they notice.

Part of the reason I moved the cameras up high and angled them downwards, was I have had problems with some of my camera lenses getting wet when it rains, then I get distorted pictures for hours after it stops raining. Last week, we had some rain come from the east or south east. I have a camera pointed towards the east, the lens go soaked. So for many hours, all of the pictures it took were worthless. But I noticed my cameras that were pointed towards the west, all had perfectly dry lenses and took good clear pictures during the same rain storm and afterwards. So I decided that maybe getting the cameras up high and angled downwards would help with the lenses getting wet, then also possibly not spook the deer as much. So far the idea seems to be working. I am going to go get some more camera mounts and mount the rest of my cameras up high, then see what happens with those pictures. I suspect there is still one or two older mature bucks in the area, that are camera wary. It seems when I first put up a camera in the back of our place I got one or two pictures of a buck that looked pretty nice. But shortly afterwards he disappeared. There was another buck around as of last year, that has disappeared. I have not heard of that deer getting killed, I would suspect I would hear about it, if someone got that deer. I am thinking all of my cameras are spooking the older wiser deer away and also making the doe and younger bucks somewhat wary of the cameras.

The pictures I got from this week, look a whole lot different from what I have been getting from the same places for quite a while now. I am really thinking more deer are showing up and staying at the feeder longer. Then in the past, I have been surprised about the lack of deer at the feeder at night and lack of coons at the feeder at night. Back in July through October, when it was hot. I expected there to be a lot of deer activity at night, at the feeder. I would have expected there to be quite a bit of activity at the feeders at night, since October, but still virtually no deer at the feeder, at night. Now, since moving the cameras, there are lots of deer at the feeder at night, then coons every night and a fox or two, every night. Either the cameras have a problem taking pictures at night, or very few critters have been showing up. I do get night time pictures, but a lot less than I would have expected. 90% of the pictures I got from this week are deer pictures, so the big jump in picture numbers is not a result of lots of coon, squirrel, fox and bird pictures. But the numbers of picture of each of those critters has gone way up. In the past no pictures of some of those critters to 25 or so pictures. So not a big contributing factor in the over double the number of pictures I got from this week.

I have a water trough, with a camera pointed at it. At times, I have lots of activity at night, other times, there is virtually no activity at night. What activity I do get at the water trough at night, is usually coons or foxes, occasionally a coyote or two. Again, the deer will show up at the water trough during the day, for a short period of time, then take off. But virtually never come to the water trough at night, even during the summer, when it was hot and dry. I have lots of pictures from the water trough camera, of critters looking straight at the camera, like they are about to bolt or are nervous. I have not moved the camera pointed at the water trough yet, but it's going to get moved tomorrow, along with two other cameras.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 01-25-2020, 09:34 PM.

Eat. Following. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve had cameras on scrapes in the past, at a normal height, and get one pic of a buck looking straight at the camera, then have the scrape go dead. Had it happen several times, then I stopped doing that. I started standing on my cart and putting them as high as I could reach. That cured the one pic and gone thing. I had ten bucks in front of me this morning with pics of only two on the camera when I took it off the tree. The rest of them simply went to the food plot and never got in the feeder pen. Cameras don’t tell the whole story. Putting them up high is a good idea that I need to use more often.

Comment

I wonder if they make any sound that we cannot hear. Or, do they emit any light. I have noticed that the deer have looked right at a camera I had in the woods for awhile. That camera would have an led on sometimes.
        Oh well, it's the person that stole its problem now.

If I ever put up another one, you will need a ladder to reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
          I wonder if they make any sound that we cannot hear. Or, do they emit any light. I have noticed that the deer have looked right at a camera I had in the woods for awhile. That camera would have an led on sometimes.
          Oh well, it's the person that stole its problem now.

If I ever put up another one, you will need a ladder to reach it.
          I am pretty sure I have heard at least some of mine make a noise when it takes pictures. But it's very faint, could be my imagination. But I thought I heard a noise a couple times, most of the time I can not hear anything. All of mine have a red LED that lights up when they take pictures. That baffles me as to why it does that. I did not realize that part for quite a while. Then one night, I was out on the back of the property, I don't remember if I was hunting or working. But it got dark and I decided it was time to get back to the house. As I walked past the feeder in the dark, I saw two red things that looked like eyes flash for a second. I did a double take, looked back and saw it again, then a third time. I realized it was my camera pointed at the feeder. I had it set up to take three pictures every time it's triggered. But found that at the feeder that was a bad idea, way too many pictures. So I went to one picture per triggering, quite a while back. Then being outside at night near the water trough, I have triggered that camera and one I have on the driveway, they both have red LEDs that flash, when they take pictures.

Comment

Majority of pics I get of coyotes, they have an OS look on their face

I am guessing they pic up the IR flash?

On a side note, I read on another forum about a guy using a single climbing stick, safety harness and lineman's belt to get cameras 8-10' off the ground
            Last edited by BTLowry; 01-27-2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Most cameras have visible IR flash at night. I have one that does not, it is the Browning Dark Ops Extreme. The weakness in the "No Glow" flash as they call them is you loose some distance and clarity at night. The Dark Op advertises 80ft at night but 50 ft is pretty dim. Great for surveillance areas though, if needed, so humans can't see the flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I’ve had cameras on scrapes in the past, at a normal height, and get one pic of a buck looking straight at the camera, then have the scrape go dead. Had it happen several times, then I stopped doing that. I started standing on my cart and putting them as high as I could reach. That cured the one pic and gone thing. I had ten bucks in front of me this morning with pics of only two on the camera when I took it off the tree. The rest of them simply went to the food plot and never got in the feeder pen. Cameras don’t tell the whole story. Putting them up high is a good idea that I need to use more often.
                I had one of my cameras set up at a intersection of deer trails. back before the season started. Turns out that just to the left of that intersection, there is a oak tree that drops lots of acorns. So I got numerous pictures of deer and coons eating acorns, took a while to figure out what they were eating, because it was in some grass. At one point, I got a picture of a nice buck on that camera, but only once.
                Then somewhere a few weeks into the season, I discovered a cedar tree that looked like a buck had made a scape under it. So I moved the camera that had been at the intersection of the trails, over to where it was pointing at the cedar tree, mainly where the scrape is. Sure enough, there are multiple bucks using that tree as a scrape tree. Shortly after setting up the camera on that tree, I got one more picture of that nice looking buck. That's the last time I got that buck on camera. Also there was another buck I knew of from last season, that I planned on trying to get this season. When I moved the camera to the cedar tree, I got one or two pictures of that buck, then I never saw him again. Since, all I have gotten pictures of, under that cedar tree are young bucks and doe, then oddly coons marking the base of the same tree and foxes also marking the base of the same tree, but no more decent or big bucks.
                I picked up some more camera mounts today. I am going to move the rest of my cameras up high this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X