6.5CM or .308 in AR platform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5CM or .308 in AR platform?

Wanting to purchase an AR for pig and deer hunting. Planning to put a Wraith Nightvision scope on it. This guns primary focus will be hog hunting at night, with some day time target shooting mixed in. Which caliber would you choose, .308 or 6.5CM? Im a bit leary of the 6.5CM as I have heard mixed reviews on blood trails etc.. Having said that, the 6.5CM's low recoil characteristic does interest me.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by marshhunter; 01-10-2020, 03:08 PM.

Of those 2 308 for ammo cost and common parts... unless you currently have a manbun then your obligatory to go the other route

(I personally would still with ar-15 platform for options, cost and weight)

Comment

Easy choice because of the hog hunting. .308. Get some wolf soft points and let her eat on some hogs.

Comment

DPMS gen 2 recon(somewhat). most everything has been changed out.

LaRue tactical trigger
        Hogue grip
        Midwest Industries rail
        Magpul PRS Gen 2 stock
        Craddock Precision 6.5 creedmoor barrel
        Silensor Co break on it
        hogue grip
        Tubbs flat wire spring

also have Magpul CTR stock and buffer if want to go adjustable

Original 308 barrel included.

why pick one when you can have both.
        Attached Files

Comment

308 all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
            Wanting to purchase an AR for pig and deer hunting. Planning to put a Wraith Nightvision scope on it. This guns primary focus will be hog hunting at night with some day time target shooting mixed in. Which caliber would you choose, .308 or 6.5CM? Im a bit leary of the 6.5CM as I have heard mixed reviews on blood trails etc. Having said the 6.5CM's low recoil characteristic does interest me.

Thanks in advance.
            Lol at that bold part. Either will be fine for what you are wanting to do. Pig hunting with nightvision handicaps both rounds as far as distance you are shooting because you just cant see that far.

Comment

Ar

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
              Wanting to purchase an AR for pig and deer hunting. Planning to put a Wraith Nightvision scope on it. This guns primary focus will be hog hunting at night, with some day time target shooting mixed in. Which caliber would you choose, .308 or 6.5CM? Im a bit leary of the 6.5CM as I have heard mixed reviews on blood trails etc.. Having said that, the 6.5CM's low recoil characteristic does interest me.

Thanks in advance.
              We kill a ton of pigs and I wouldn't shoot anything other than a 308 We beat our record the other night and killed 22

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                Of those 2 308 for ammo cost and common parts... unless you currently have a manbun then your obligatory to go the other route

(I personally would still with ar-15 platform for options, cost and weight)
                I agree with the second part about the AR15 but disagree with the comment about the "common parts". The 65 grendel or 68 spc would get my vote.

If you look at 5 different manufactures of 308 gas guns you will most likely see 5 different blue prints. Contrary to some people's beliefs, the AR10 platform is not like the AR15 and most manufacturer's parts are not interchangeable from one to the other unless you are certain of specs that you are trying to match.

Comment

Lots of support for .308. My hasn't taken any pigs yet... But as soon as I've been here 6 months and can get a hunting license, GAME ON!

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                    I agree with the second part about the AR15 but disagree with the comment about the "common parts". The 65 grendel or 68 spc would get my vote.

If you look at 5 different manufactures of 308 gas guns you will most likely see 5 different blue prints. Contrary to some people's beliefs, the AR10 platform is not like the AR15 and most manufacturer's parts are not interchangeable from one to the other unless you are certain of specs that you are trying to match.

I found that out quickly. It is unfortunate that they aren’t interchangeable. I’m currently look at PSA. They came out with their gen3 for the AR-10/AR-65.

If I am wanting to purchase a suppressor in the future for this build, would your opinion on which caliber change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

.308 if for nothing more than the sheer amount of Ammo choices from 110 grains to 220 grains.

Suppressor wouldn’t change my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

308 is easier for ammo for sure. I have both and use 308 cause its cheaper. 6.5 is like the man bun of calibers right now haha

Comment

308 for everything you listed.

Comment

My AR of choice for thermal work is in the powerhouse round known as 7.62x39. Get mags that feed reliably and put it to work. The AR 10 is just too heavy. I have 3 of those, so I speak from experience.

Comment

The advantages of the 6.5 are low recoil and extra long range accuracy. Not exactly what the AR10 platform was designed for.
                              So, its the .308 for power throughout the range you will be pig hunting with this platform. If you need the long range, you need a different platform.

Comment

Working...
                              X