Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Panhandle Hunting Thread (7th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd get him on the ground. I have a big 6 pt around... Has a huge body. I'm after him but he's mostly nocturnal. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here in Hall trying to get my boy his first deer. Came close yesterday, but the buck boogered a few seconds before the moment of truth.

Seeing more mule deer than whitetail, including the biggest muley buck I've ever seen on my property.

And too many danged hogs taking over the feeders and keeping the deer on edge.

For those still out, best of luck and hunt safe!

Comment

It’s been very slow for me in cottle county. Just got here yesterday so hopefully things will improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello everyone. I need a little help or advice. So I'm hunting in mexico at the current time, I've been down there the last couple years. All the recent activity down there has got me a lot nervous. So i might have the opportunity to lease a place northwest of Childrees about 15 miles and or 5 miles south southwest of Esteline. Give you a little info about the place. It is 4 sections and I'm going to put 4-5 men on it. About 1/3 of it is crp and wheat fields. The rest is canyon and rolling hills. I'm not to concerned about the mule deer it has plenty, ranch hand and owner says you can see 100 mule deer on the wheat. I've asked about the white tail and they say they are there. I'm more of a white tail hunter and would like to know if anyone has hunted this part of Hall county. Would like to know about white tail deer numbers and quality. I've always wanted to hunt north Texas and this seems like a good place. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

Comment

Based on what you are telling me I would not hunt more that 3 people on the place. Whitetail in that area will probably be running a deer every 40-50 acres. Assume a 1-1 buck doe ratio and think about age classes there will be 1 mature buck every 400-500 acres and mature certainly doesnt mean shooter. It's a great area know for producing very big deer though. You just can stack folks on places up there like you can in other areas of Texas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
              Based on what you are telling me I would not hunt more that 3 people on the place. Whitetail in that area will probably be running a deer every 40-50 acres. Assume a 1-1 buck doe ratio and think about age classes there will be 1 mature buck every 400-500 acres and mature certainly doesnt mean shooter. It's a great area know for producing very big deer though. You just can stack folks on places up there like you can in other areas of Texas.

Yes sir i would like to only put 3 men on it but don't think our wallet can afford that. Trying to go with 4 men. This place hasn't been hunted in two years. They had 6-7 men on it before. I won't lease it if I have over hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post

Deer number estimates are in the ballpark for really good country, and that's a vast overestimate on mature bucks.

Johnson, I Totally agree with JBJTX, that's pretty heavy on hunters, and I wouldn't use hunter density on neighboring properties as a measuring stick of appropriateness. That's likely one of the root causes of antler restrictions on mule deer in that region. If landowners continue to rake in top dollar for hunting leases, then the issue continues to exacerbate through over harvest, decrease in age structure and antler quality, strained neighbor relations, defensive hunting, high hunter turnover, and more govt regulations.

I know it's rare, but hunter density should be based on deer density and age structure, which can only be estimated through scientific survey methodologies.

Sorry Kry, just trying to help the group as a whole. Climbing off soapbox.

Comment

I have gotten 2 doe, and worked the new pup.
                  Loving the jerky!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    Deer number estimates are in the ballpark for really good country, and that's a vast overestimate on mature bucks.

Johnson, I Totally agree with JBJTX, that's pretty heavy on hunters, and I wouldn't use hunter density on neighboring properties as a measuring stick of appropriateness. That's likely one of the root causes of antler restrictions on mule deer in that region. If landowners continue to rake in top dollar for hunting leases, then the issue continues to exacerbate through over harvest, decrease in age structure and antler quality, strained neighbor relations, defensive hunting, high hunter turnover, and more govt regulations.

I know it's rare, but hunter density should be based on deer density and age structure, which can only be estimated through scientific survey methodolog
                    I agree 100%. The problem is there so much demand for hunting leases. The landowners can get what they want most of the time. And it is sad because the deer numbers are down because of the 2011 drought and a lot of land owners are still stacking hunter on the leases. I'm probably going to pass on this place.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

I know it's rare, but hunter density should be based on deer density and age structure, which can only be estimated through scientific survey methodologies.

No worries!

Nothing to add to the lease discussion, but to update, I feel like I haven't seen a whitetail in days. Been hunting every day since the 24th and I've seen more and bigger mule deer than ever. Not sure exactly when the MD rut peaks here but they seem to be hot and heavy right now.

I did kill a 200 lb hog a few nights ago, so at least that's some consolation.

Back on stand and still looking for a 1st buck for my boy. I'll report back with any success.

Best to all.

Comment

Coyote number 40 this year.

I get to...

Comment

Finally got a deer on the ground Sunday. Has been so tough this year. We had a huge B&C showing up earlier, and I like six other guys were after him hard. A rifle hunter got him 3 weeks ago, so I was real bummed. My back up plan came in Saturday and had his whole left side broken off. [emoji22] Then, one of the great gentlemen on the lease said he had a mature 8 coming in really regular. He has killed his trophy and said I was welcome to try it. Went and looked at his setup, there was no bow stand. One of the other great guys said he had a tripod nearby and he'd help me move it. Spool we moved in a tripod at 3pm, by 3:45 I was in said stand with 35mph wind and cold front coming in. At 5 I had a young 8 stomping and starring from about 50 yards out. I thought no way is this gonna work. 15 min later 3 does are in and feeding. Trying to draw from 15 yards with very little cover and 4 sets of eyes wasn't looking good, then he is just there, walked in like he owned the place. Checked all three does like the second rut is on, then started eating. Took about 20 min to get the angle I wanted and pretty much shot under him. BUT HE DUCKED!! Ran about 75 yards and was done. Arrow went in right where the dark coat meets the white. Exited higher than entrance. He really ducked and rolled away. He was a gift from several good guys and God.

pray for rain

Comment

Excellent recovery! Great deer!!!

Comment

Great yote and buck, guys! Congrats!

ETA, I did kill another jumbo hog and a dang porcupine last night.
                              Last edited by kry226; 12-31-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Nice buck! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X