New project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project.

I ran across a deal I couldnt pass up the other day. A snagged a like new in box Seekins Havak PH1 in 6.5 Creedmoor for $1200 shipped. I’ve already got a Havak PH1 in 6, and have bought a few more, as well as shot a handful more. They’ve all been fantastic shoot rifles, and I have pretty high standards when it comes to accuracy.

So fast forward to Tuesday night, and I pick up my new rifle from my buddy (he’s my FFL). Open the box, and can’t tell the rifle has ever been handled. Go to pull the trigger after checking the action, and immediately notice something I like. I’ve got a Timney Calvin Ellte installed. Score. So I finger bang it for a while, and I’m thoroughly pleased with my score. I message the seller up, and ask him if he meant to sell it with the Calvin Elite. He said he was going to replace it with the factory 510 again, but ran short on time and just sent her as is. Told me he’d mail me the 510 if I’d like, which I politely refused.

Now here comes the fun part. I don’t have much usage for 6.5 currently, and prefer smaller calibers when possible. I was about to rebarrel a current rifle into a 22 Creed, but now I just ran across the perfect donor in this Havak. The intent upon purchasing was to spin a 22 creed barrel onto it, and sell the 6.5 barrel. Now after sitting around the lathe for a couple beers with one of my smiths (another good buddy of mine), he convinced me to turn this into a new project. Going to machine down the integral lug on the Havak action, and then drill and pin the action for a WTO SwitchLug. Then spin on a new barrel in 22 Creed (still undecided, but thinking a #5 contour fluted are 22-24” in a 7-8 twist), and have the tenion turned down on the 6.5 barrel to plug into the SwitchLug as well. I’m already decided on glass, so that just needs the funds. Thinking I’ll throw a NightForce NX8 2.5-20 with MILC on top to accompany my 6 Creed Havak topped with an ATACR 4-16 with MILC. Going to cerakote this on though so it’ll stand apart slightly. I’m kind of anxious to get this rolling.
    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 12-05-2019, 11:59 AM.

That sounds like an awesome setup. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

I have a 22 Creedmoor and 7mm-08ai in a WTO made Switchlug rig. Do you know a lead on some 22 Creed brass, I had to buy some junk azz Hornady brass for now.

Comment

Man I want a switchlug pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

It will just cost you money Mike.

I am still in the load tinkering mode on mine, but have noticed the zero change from one barrel to the other is about 2 inches. I will have turrets made for each caliber so I dont have a senior moment

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            I have a 22 Creedmoor and 7mm-08ai in a WTO made Switchlug rig. Do you know a lead on some 22 Creed brass, I had to buy some junk azz Hornady brass for now.
            I haven’t ordered from this place before, but they’ve got ADG in stock.
            Shop online for shotshell and metallic reloading supplies, shooting supplies, metallic presses, rifle reloading components, shotshell reloading components, shooting accessories, rifle reloading brass and Bullets.

Or Creedmoor Sports shows some as well.
            Shoot and Reload with the Pros! Creedmoor Sports has served the Precision Shooting Community for over 40 years in Centerfire, Small-bore, Air Rifle and Pistol Disciplines.

Comment

Or Alpha small primer here.

Comment

Sounds like a awesome build keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                  That is the brass I want, seems like its never in stock.

Comment

You obviously have more experience than me on building a precision rifle but man my 6.5 is a shooter. I didnt want on but my wife bought me one and it's now my go to. Cheap rugger american took 4 shots to zero and been on ever since. First kill was 2 hogs with one shot.

Comment

My buddy has about 600 pieces of new Alpha brass he took in trade, and he got rid of his 22 creed barrel. He’s giving me 100 pieces to start with. Going to check Ally in Midland to see if they have any more. I’ve seen it in there quite regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                        You obviously have more experience than me on building a precision rifle but man my 6.5 is a shooter. I didnt want on but my wife bought me one and it's now my go to. Cheap rugger american took 4 shots to zero and been on ever since. First kill was 2 hogs with one shot.
                        Nothing wrong with the caliber at all. I’ve had a few of them, and have setup several for first time LR shooters. I like light rifles though, and find the lighter the projectile I can push I can still have an extremely soft shooting rifle. Plus I like speed. I used to think my 7 lb 6.5 SAUM was a ***** cat on recoil, but this last year I didn’t shoot it all just cause I found myself favoring the lighter recoil 6 and 223. Now don’t take me as saying I think the recoil is harsh, because that’s not the case at all. I just keep a softer shooting rifle on target so much easier for quick follow up shots from unsupported or poorly supported positions. Plus I like speed

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

I’ve been itching for one for some time. I’m good friends with Jonathan and Clayton, and I’ve been eyeing it since it was still a prototype. Just couldn’t ever figure out what exactly I wanted to put one on or build out.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            My buddy has about 600 pieces of new Alpha brass he took in trade, and he got rid of his 22 creed barrel. He’s giving me 100 pieces to start with. Going to check Ally in Midland to see if they have any more. I’ve seen it in there quite regularly.
                            Does your buddy want to sell the brass?

Comment

Does your buddy want to sell the brass?
                              I’ll ask, but kinda doubtful. He hoards loading components like no other.

Comment

Working...
                              X