Hawaii hunting success!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaii hunting success!!

I have a new respect for the culture and hunting in Hawaii. I have been planning this hunt for a couple of years. I had some preconceived ideas and fears about this hunt. I also know this hunt is not for everyone.

I booked this hunt hoping I would not be disappointed and the hunt would be too easy or canned. I did a ton of research and spoke to several people that did this hunt that assured me that this is a real hunt for real wild animals but still I have to admit I had some reservations about it.

I chose to hunt a Vancouver bull because I don’t know anyone that has and all the other animals in Hawaii I can kill in Texas.

Now to the hunt!!

We took a ranger to around 7,000 ft elevation in an area that resembled a rain forest to me. Once we parked we got off on foot and started down some old logging roads. We could hear bulls sounding off in the distance. This reminded me of hunting elk. The bulls made a different sound than the cows and we would head toward the bulls. As we were heading toward where we heard a bull sound off we turned a corner and a monster bull stood feeding with two cows. We dropped down on the side of the road but was pinned down. Our guide had just got a fake cow decoy and wanted to try it out. So we unfolded it and made a move across the road to better set us up. I thought my hunt was going to end real fast. As the bull fed closer I got ready and as he got to 25 yards I had to stand up to shoot. There was an old fence in between me and him. He caught my movement and stepped for ward and screamed at me. The bad thing he stepped right in-front of two trees that blocked his vitals. He stood for 2-3 seconds and whirled and ran.

What a way to start the hunt!!

Over the next several hours I passed on one younger bull and had close encounters with two other monsters that offered no shot. It is nuts how a 1,000 lb animal can just disappear.

Just as the bulls started to quite down I got nervous I wasn’t going to get a bull because I only had one day to hunt. Once the bulls stop talking in the morning they are quite for the rest of the day making it real tough.

We heard a faint growl in the distance that we ran to it. As we got closer the roars got louder. We could see trees in the distance moving and we knew some bulls were fighting. Just as I crested the hill I saw 4 bulls all fighting each other. Good thing they were preoccupied but they were at 50 yards.

I waited for my shot and shot the 1st bull that gave me an opportunity. My first shot was back. My guide said shoot again if I have an opportunity. The bull was now at 75 and I shot and hit high this time. He took off and we went after him.

We tracked him with little blood for 1/2 a mile and found him still alive. I was able to make a great shot at 45 yards to finish him off!!!

That’s not it!! Give me a second to type up the afternoon hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on a good looking bull.

Comment

Since we got my bull that morning we asked the guide if I could chase a Spanish goat. We had to get the bull broke down and in the cooler then make an hour drive to another property.

This hunt I didn’t know what to expect either! Totally different terrain at sea level that resembles more of a savanna with rolling hills and some lava rocks.

We only had a few hours to hunt and started hiking and glassing as fast as possible. We had no problem finding goats but finding a mature billy was tough. I passed on a a few younger ones and after hiking a few miles I found what I was looking for. The only problem was he was a mile away and walking away from us. So we basically ran to catch up to him. Just as we did I created a hill and there he stood at 45 yards. Only problem
      Was I was out of breath and we had a 25 mph cross wind. I tried a shot but my arrow sailed wide left.

My wife and I was so tired I almost gave up at this point. We started glassing and I spotted a couple of nature Billy’s but again they were about a mile away in the other direction. So off we went. This would be the last stalk of the day.

We made our way to them and as we topped the hill we say him but when we ranged him he was at 80 yards. We sat and watched him a while hoping he would head our way. Which he did not. There was a small rocky canyon in between me and the goat so the plan was to drop into it and come up the other side and cut the distance. We left my wife there and took off.

Once we got down in the canyon I called my wife to ask her if he moved and he did just a little. She explained which direction I needed to go and I started crawling. The tall grass made it tough for me to see him. Once I finally spotted him He was at 19 yards. I drew and waited for him to turn. Then I hammered him!! He ran down the hill into a cave and died!!!

Comment

This was our 15 year anniversary trip and the 1st time my wife ever went on a hunt with me. She was a trooper. We hunted daylight to dark and hiked over 12 miles over lava rock that was covered in moss and grass.

It was an exhausting day but one I’ll never forget.

For the ones that don’t know the Vancouver bull and the goat has been wild on the island for over a 1,000 years. They absolutely were wild and you had to keep the wind in your favor and use what cover available to hide from them. If they spotted or saw you they were gone.

They are not farm animals in a fence.

Comment

Thats awesome.

Comment

That is absolutely awesome

Great adventure

Comment

Great hunt and to do it with the wife is epic.

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Cool
                    Did you say which island?

Comment

That’s awesome and definitely not the normal hunt.
                      Cingrats

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                        Cool
                        Did you say which island?
                        The big Island

Comment

That’s pretty darn cool! Congratulations on your bull.

Comment

Nahele Outfitters offers guided hunts and adventure tours on the Big Island of Hawaii. Hawaii is a year round hunting destination with a variety of game animals such as mouflon sheep, Spanish goat, Hawaiian ibex, Rio Grande turkeys, wild boar, and upland game birds. Our guided tours offer personalized adventures to remote parts of the big island. Hunting in Hawaii is really hard to beat.

Comment

That's awesome!!! Congratulations on getting some pretty cool critters.

Comment

Working...
                              X