Question for Traeger grill owners.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Traeger grill owners.....

I bought one of their pellet grills last May, and it never worked well. I would set it to 225 degrees, and it would fluctuate between 170 and 240 then shut down and give an error code. I called Traeger and just replaced the controller and temperature sensor, started it up, and got the same fluctuation. Called them again, they are sending me a new temperature probe. I've used Traeger and other pellets, and it's pretty much the same deal. Is this normal? They say it shouldn't vary by more than 20 degrees, but even that seems like a lot.

Ive never had that problem with mine. I smoke 2 butts saturday, and set it to 250. it stayed between 240 and 255 all day. I checked it about every hour while I was trimming trees and clearing some brush.

Did you set it to smoke and let it burn for a while like the instructions say? The first time I used mine, I didnt bother to look at the directions, and just turned it to 225 and turned it on. It didn't work correctly when I did that.

Comment

Mine is Pit Boss...from set point it swings 20-25 deg either side...but roughly averages set point...It does a P setting that according to book(allows the cook to have fine tune control of their grill to compensate for ambient temp,humidity,wind,environmental changes ,pellet fuel type and moisture content and quality...
      Man I absolutely love my Machine.. Hope this helps

Comment

I have a rec tec . It stays within 5 degrees of the setting

Comment

Mine will fluctuate like 20 degrees, but have never had n error problem. I keep mine in the garage, so it is not outside.

Comment

I've had a Traeger for years, and have had good success with them. I've had similar issues in the past with using pellets that had expanded/gotten wet at some time. The pellets burn differently and will run at a much lower temp. Also had the ager stall out and give an error code with bad pellets as well. Other issue is not cleaning out the pellet tray often enough and had trouble starting. I've also used Wal Mart pellets, and they burn differently than Traeger pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              I bought one of their pellet grills last May, and it never worked well. I would set it to 225 degrees, and it would fluctuate between 170 and 240 then shut down and give an error code. I called Traeger and just replaced the controller and temperature sensor, started it up, and got the same fluctuation. Called them again, they are sending me a new temperature probe. I've used Traeger and other pellets, and it's pretty much the same deal. Is this normal? They say it shouldn't vary by more than 20 degrees, but even that seems like a lot.
              Mine fluctuated a lot in cold and wind. Got the blanket problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine holds temp pretty well, but it barely puts out any smoke at all. Just like a 10 sec burst of smoke like every 5 minutes. I added a pellet tube and that helped out quite a bit. If I attempt to smoke a brisket or pork butt for many hours (8+), I will get an error and it will shut down almost every single time, and I keep it cleaned out after use.

I'm about to get rid of it and go with a different brand.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  EXACTLY the same problem with mine, to the t. Over the course of about 6 months Traeger sent me a new fan, new controller and a new temp probe. I've tried every kind of pellet you can buy off the shelf and have tried every different P setting combination there is. After 2 years it still doesn't cook right. If set on 225 mine will fluctuate between 200 and 265 … which to me seems ridiculous. If i don't want it closely it may, at times, get close to 300 or drop too low and error. I even took the auger out cause they said it may be out of round, which could potentially cause issues. Turns out it wasn't so I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the issue is. I'm to the point that I just want to shove it into the back corner of the garage and buy a RecTec or something.

Frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by RDT View Post
                    I have a rec tec . It stays within 5 degrees of the setting
                    Way to tell them they made a poor buying decision.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                      Way to tell them they made a poor buying decision.
                      I think your absolutely correct. I'm hoping Academy will take it back.

Comment

Mine holds +/- 5 degrees about 95% of the time. The other 5% I would say is +/- 10%. Had an issue with moisture getting in...think I fixed it, but not sure if it is due to a sprinkler head getting in under the cover. Will see this summer when sprinklers are turned back on...if this is fixed tho, then no issues with my traeger that wasn't my own doing.

FWIW, I hear a lot of people complaining about Traegers when they purchase newer models. Seems the old adage, "They don't make 'em how they used to," fits the bill with Treager. I hear it's because they sold the company to a Chinese firm.

Mine was built in 2013.

Comment

Mine has worked well since I got it this past December. Put it together in January and read the directions and followed them step by step. I've had good luck so far with mine.

Like said earlier, the initial light up instructions has it set to smoke for awhile before you turn it up. This may be part of the issue.

Comment

No issues here

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
                              No issues here

Same here

Comment

Working...
                              X