Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Elk Hunt Anyone?

Howdy Everyone,

My Colorado Elk hunting buddy is going to be a first time dad this summer, so he's unlikely to join me in our annual DIY public land elk hunt. So....I figured I'd turn to the green screen to see if anyone would be interested in letting me be a 3rd or 4th wheel.

Couple quick notes about me:

I'll be willing to drive--got a comfortable KR F150 with a topper for all our gear. We could probably take up to 3 of us.

Got one of the last Brute (now Bison) 150qt coolers--perfect for an entire deboned wapiti

I'm fairly good shape and have made this hunt before and I've got all the gear necessary to be self contained.

Happy to provide TBH references as well of several guys I've shared leases

So...anyone interested or know of folks I could reach out to? Sure would hate to have to sit out this year.

As always...sincere thanks for the feedback.

Good luck !

Comment

I know there are people here interested in this, and a group might be interested. I think the Trad guys went last year.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
        I know there are people here interested in this, and a group might be interested. I think the Trad guys went last year.
        We did, there were 5 of us from the trad forum. Some of us are kicking around going back, but it's a little early to commit. We had a blast!!

Comment

I'm hoping to get drawn for Wyoming later this week. If not, I may be contacting you!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
            We did, there were 5 of us from the trad forum. Some of us are kicking around going back, but it's a little early to commit. We had a blast!!
            We'll let me know if you're interested. I'm still running training wheels, so don't hold that against me.

Comment

Where at and what season, depending on the time id be up for glassing and carrying meat. Maybe snag a cow tag.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorider View Post
                We'll let me know if you're interested. I'm still running training wheels, so don't hold that against me.
                LOL no judgement here!! If I go back this year I may take a compound too. I'll definitely keep it in mind though if things work out for me to go back!!

Comment

Originally posted by mojorider View Post
                  Howdy Everyone,

My Colorado Elk hunting buddy is going to be a first time dad this summer, so he's unlikely to join me in our annual DIY public land elk hunt. So....I figured I'd turn to the green screen to see if anyone would be interested in letting me be a 3rd or 4th wheel.

Couple quick notes about me:

I'll be willing to drive--got a comfortable KR F150 with a topper for all our gear. We could probably take up to 3 of us.

Got one of the last Brute (now Bison) 150qt coolers--perfect for an entire deboned wapiti

I'm fairly good shape and have made this hunt before and I've got all the gear necessary to be self contained.

Happy to provide TBH references as well of several guys I've shared leases

So...anyone interested or know of folks I could reach out to? Sure would hate to have to sit out this year.

As always...sincere thanks for the feedback.
                  I'd be interested, except I'd want to rifle hunt.

Let me know.

Comment

You shouldn't sit out a year because you don't have a hunting buddy! Next year there will be another excuse, next thing you know, you waited 10 years for your buddy, and you lost 10 years worth of experience!

Comment

I had a partner that couldn’t make it one year. I ended up getting in with a group of guys from the Realtree hunting forum. I had never met any of them in person until we got to camp. It turned out to be a really good hunt. Most of them were older guys (late 40’s and into 50’s). One from Alaska was one of the original Realtree Team members. Really good group of guys. Super nice.

I started going up hunting with Dad when I was 14. Back then, we packed camp in on horses. It was some of the best hunts I’ had ever shared with him. Wonderful memories.......

Seems like most of the guys I know love to sit around and talk about how cool it would be to go up and hunt, but when it comes time to actually set dates and make plans, they always have yet another excuse on why they can’t go. I have one friend that has been making excuses for 15yrs +.

I’d love to hook up with some guys on a rifle hunt. If anyone hunts around Dunton, I have a pretty good feel for that area.
                      Last edited by Trevor73402; 02-18-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I'd be in to go
                        I have alot of diy time in southwest Colorado by grand junction. I'm putting in for new mex and if I dont draw(very unlikely I will) then I am going otc in Colorado again

Comment

I hunt pagosa area every year

Comment

Agreed....that's why I'm starting this search early.

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            You shouldn't sit out a year because you don't have a hunting buddy! Next year there will be another excuse, next thing you know, you waited 10 years for your buddy, and you lost 10 years worth of experience!

Comment

We've been hunting during archery season the Southwest corner of Colorado in the Weminuche Wilderness area (GMU 751), near Durango. We saw plenty of elk last year, but never could close the distance to bow range.

Now, with all the wildfires and calf losses, I’m not sure SW Co would provide the best opportunities. I'd only be good for a solid week, maybe up to 8 or 9 days.

I believe for archery, you have to purchase an either sex tag. Could be wrong about that.

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                              Where at and what season, depending on the time id be up for glassing and carrying meat. Maybe snag a cow tag.

Comment

Working...
                              X