School Me on Pontoon Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying to find a good pre owned pontoon for my family. I am looking for something that’s been taken care of, and really looking for fuel injected 90hp+ engine.

What’s smallest you’d go? I’d like to be able to haul around 4 adults and 4 kids pretty well. I like the idea of the fishing option on them(if I do this im thinking I could bring along my big coolers with cushions for more seating?)

Never had a pontoon boat before but I’ve had plenty of other boats and my advice on boat buying is get the biggest boat and highest horsepower motor you can afford.There’s no such thing as too much room or too much horsepower

Comment

I "used" to have one....................
      Bad mistake selling it.........
      24' with 100 horse.......
      What ever you get.. Make sure, it has a bimini top......
      And if possible, a changing station/porta-potty....
      Both come in awful handy.... Especially if you have ladies,and kids aboard.......
      The more comfy you make them..... The more they're apt to enjoy going out..
      And will stay longer.........

Comment

If anyone on here has one they’d part with, let me know also!

Comment

My father in law has a good size one probably 25 footer he has a 200HP on it and it flys.

Comment

Don't mess around with them bass pro tin cans.

Go big or go home

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I see that you are looking for used, but new ones are 12 weeks out. I’ve tried to find used on Boat Trader with not a lot of luck.

Comment

I have a 20 ft pontoon with 90hp merc and I wish I had a bigger engine. Me alone on flat water can hit maybe 25 mph. Four buddy’s with cooler and gear it’s hard to hit 18mph. Not even fast enough for a fun tube ride imop.

Comment

I've only been on a few but with that group i'd go no less than 24 ft and 150 HP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                    I have a 20 ft pontoon with 90hp merc and I wish I had a bigger engine. Me alone on flat water can hit maybe 25 mph. Four buddy’s with cooler and gear it’s hard to hit 18mph. Not even fast enough for a fun tube ride imop.
                    I’ve found a deal on one that’s a 20’ G3 with 90hp Yamaha and he’s telling me it runs 30 light and 25 loaded all day. Maybe due to different setup?

Comment

We have a 22' and wish we had a bigger boat, and we normally have 6 people ( 4 adults, 2 kids. For a group of 8 I would defiantly recommend a longer boat.

There's not much to change on a pontoon set up to get more speed. Unless you get a big block inboard, but for that money you could get a tritoon and get better results.
                      Last edited by BassMaster13; 06-04-2021, 07:54 AM.

Comment

It may Justin, I can only speak from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post

My FIL has the same setup and is getting about the same results. We’ve had 6 adults and 2 small children and it was tight. I would go bigger than 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bigger is always better for a family boat. Especially if you plan to take extended family, friends, or your kids' friends. Plus once you get a boat somehow you meet new friends.

Comment

My 20 footer with 70 yammer tops about 22mph. If I ever see a good deal on a 115 I'll upgrade but for me the more important part is the layout. I have fishing seats for and aft but still have a sun deck that lifts up with a changing room for the girls. I do wish there was a better option for location of the trolling motor as I is just a constant trip hazzard in the stowed position but I installed a QR mount for when it's just family cruising time.

Previous pontoon was all long couch seats and big rear sun deck. Makes fishing less comfortable.

Last edited by TexaRican; 06-04-2021, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X