First try at beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First try at beef ribs

On a whim (& because the whole chicken my wife bought this morning was frozen solid) I got a rack of beef ribs from my local grocery store.

Smoked them at 275-290 for about 4 hours. They turned out better than I expected for my 1st attempt. Only regret was they weren’t that “meaty” to begin with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9B061238-18B9-4978-BCE3-0C11F627B506.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	25239293

Will definitely give it a go again with better cuts

Nice and tasty, and I’m gonna say those ribs look a lot better than that chicken would have turned out. Enjoy that dinner.

Comment

Those are called back ribs. The big ones, with a ton of meat, are plate ribs. Plate ribs will need about 8 hours or so.

Comment

I have done a ton of plate ribs. AKA Dino ribs, low, slow and very long. They have more internal fat than most briskets. Done right they are like butter.

Comment

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have not found any plate ribs around here but would try them if I could

Comment

I actually saw these at an h.e.b. the other day...gonna give em a try
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
                Those $25 a pound at Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor. One rib will cost you about $50. But they are good and one rib feeds 2-4 people.

Comment

If you get those Dino ribs, I usually cook mine a little hotter than brisket at about 300-325°.
                  At about 6-8 hours.

Comment

Plate ribs seem to be the best when cooked for about 11-12 hours at 225 degrees.

Comment

Beef ribs are my favorite to cook .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                        Beef ribs are my favorite to cook .
                        Same here.
                        Nothing like some smoked beef short ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
                          Picked some of those up yesterday.
                          Haven’t smoked any beef ribs before. Looks like I got lucky and picked up the right ones.
                          Just unloaded a half a cord of mesquite so I’m anxious to try them.

Comment

At the house it's 225 for about 10 hours wrapped about half way through they turn out amazing..... When I'm at the lease & wanna do ribs I'll smoke em at 225 for about 4 hours then throw em in a crock pot on low while we are out filling feeders & what ever else ( nobody to mind the pit ) Then when we come back after the eve3ning hunt bamm they are fall off the bone delicious... A big hit at the ranch

Comment

Dino ribs “first 3 ribs on cow” are wonderful. Cook like a brisket and don’t wrap. Will cook pretty quick due to bones, 5-6 hours. I don’t wrap, like butter. Typically cook 250-275, pending what the cooker wants to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X