Feeder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder question

Before the end of season its always ends up being a pond under my feeder and I end up having to hand throw corn around the perimeter of the pond making the point of a feeder pointless....the deer seem to stand under there and trample a hole when its muddy and then comes the mud pit pond under it....havent had many pigs this season so I can't blame it on them....has anyone ever found a remedy for this?...I thought about adding a mound of dirt packed down under the feeder so once they trample it down some, its still not so low and holds water....
    Attached Files

I just move mine over a bit.

Comment

Don't think it will do much good, just move it about 5 yards. JMO.

Comment

Mine slings corn well away from the the feeder so the deer aren’t having to stand right under it. I never have that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea....because of the varmit cage it tends to drop quite a bit below it....I have another entire 12v spinner I can run without the cage im gonna attach to it and see if that helps any...the one thats on it was a freebie at the time so I utilized it....

Comment

Remove varmint guard. Add eliminator plate with this spinner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some folks claim success using a cattle panel below the unit placing the legs in the holes to keep it in place. Ive never tried it but have seen it mentioned on here a lot.

Comment

Just move the feeder a little bit is what we do

Comment

Cut a cattle panel in half and lay the halves on the ground. Set the feeder over them and the critters can't dig a big hole under it.

Comment

I built a 6'x6' platform under a couple of mine---but they just walk into the muddy around the platform and when they walk away there is lots of mud on their feet/legs. After a month or two of damp/wet weather and many many hogs/deer at the feeder, another hole will develop. Only way to completely eliminate it is to pave/concrete the ground under/around the feeder.

Comment

Get a few bags of Quickcrete and pour it in the water.

Comment

I have one of four feeders with same problem. Every other year it seems we bring dirt in with fro t end loader. I need to add gravel at some point I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I tried the cattle panel idea and they just stomped it down in the mud. The only thing I have done that worked reasonably well was before they were able to dig a hole I put down a sheet of treated plywood. I drilled holes around the edge and staked it down and it lasted a couple of years. It eventually warped and I found a snake living under it which ended that experiment.

Comment

1. Loose the coon cage
                            2. Cattle panel laid down under feeder
                            3. when setting a new feeder cut a tree down 2” above ground level. The roots will help eliminate a hole

Comment

My deer just go snorkeling for corn underwater.

Comment

Working...
                              X