No announcement yet.

Does your kid mow the grass????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mowed for years and our home was on a hill. The mower was the spinning blades type, back in the sixties and early seventies, no gas, no electric. I thought I was in Heaven when my dad bought a gas mower, not power assist, but still awesome in 1974. My step boys did the yard until they moved off to college, no pay. Man, I miss them.

Comment

I don’t pay mine for chores around the house, but the dang grandparents pay them really good. I just roll my eyes when my dad pays my son for doing things that I wouldn’t have gotten a nickel for. My payment was not getting a swift kick in the azz. It’s funny watching your parents with their grandchildren, I’m sure I’ll be the same way.

Comment

I remember telling my dad that i should get paid to mow the yard. He quickly responded with, "I am fine with that, I will calculate how much you owe me for room and board" Shut me up real quick

Comment

Does your kid mow the grass????

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          BTW, I’m not questioning anyone’s methods, I know better. I worked my tail off, and I appreciated it....more now than then. I didn’t ask mom and dad for money very often (when I did it was a loan) and they more than made sure I didn’t go without what I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely understand and agree. Instead of using the rent and food I just buy him stuff he wants. Kind of like a new bass lure set up, new camo, new snake boots (dude went from 120 to 155 in a few months[emoji2957]). My son is completely understanding but I push hard the motto of having nice things requires hard work. My 16 yo daughter on the other hand expects everything. We butt heads quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            For those that don't pay anything how do you handle when they want a toy or game or want to go do stuff with there friends or something like that? Do you just buy it for them or ??????

They used my mower, weed eater and my gas to mow the neighbors yard for spending money.

Comment

My kids were dragging cedar and burning brush since they were old enough to carry a branch. Smaller they were the smaller the brush they drug to pile. Both have been mowing or shredding on tractor since they turned 10 or so. It was never really a question around my house. Figure Mom and I worked so kids did too. Both kids help remodel 2 houses as well. Sure they gripped and complained at times but it fell on deaf ears. They both made their money elsewhere for the most part. If we worked an entire weekend Id throw them some cash.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                My kids were dragging cedar and burning brush since they were old enough to carry a branch. Smaller they were the smaller the brush they drug to pile. Both have been mowing or shredding on tractor since they turned 10 or so. It was never really a question around my house. Figure Mom and I worked so kids did too. Both kids help remodel 2 houses as well. Sure they gripped and complained at times but it fell on deaf ears. They both made their money elsewhere for the most part. If we worked an entire weekend Id throw them some cash.
                This is pretty much how we raised ours. If they did work for our businesses I’d pay them same wage I’d pay to have it done. Our kids did grow up in a town where we have a lot of family and friends so they were able to find paying work very early outside of our house and always had a source for “their money”. Work is a really good thing for kids and them understanding that early is a real big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  Uhhhh no. Daddy’s princesses don’t mow grass. [emoji849]. However, my wife has had a stable of housekeeping workhorses for over 20 years. They do laundry, dishes, garbage duty, etc. They get paid every time they put their feet under my table.

I always wanted a son to work into the ground like my dad did me. Starting at about 8years old, I had to mow 5ac...1/2ac push and 4.5ac with lawn tractor. Had to weedeat around at least a hundred trees, two houses and a barn. Had to edge 1 driveway. Had to do it before I had a lick of fun. I got paid in room and board and hugs and discipline. Best childhood I could have ever asked for.

Daddy's princess may not mow, but grandpa's does.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I cut grass for my dad and didn't get paid...this was in the 90s...my son isn't old enough to cut grass yet but he will be doing it...my 15 yr old daughter helps my wife with the laundry and dishes and doesn't get paid for it...we've both kinda agreed how well our children have it compared to how we grew up and with all the stuff we do for them, helping around the house is the least they could do for us....

Comment

I just got done mowing and weed eating and dang, I wish I had some kids to do it for me. I grew up on 180 acres in OK. About 2 if that was our yard and then about 30acres we had to brushog. Had to do all of that growing up, granted it was on riding mower and tractor so not manual labor but not what I wanted to be doing. Did not get paid. I would do my Grandpas yard, 2 acres and he did pay me.

Comment

I didn't get paid for mowing our yard when I was a kid. But I mowed two homes that were elderly couples. I got paid with cookies and milk at both of them.

Comment

I started when I was about 8 and never got paid a dime. I worked for my neighbor that did land clearing, spreading dirt, and laying sod when I was 11 all summer every summer until I was 15. I did get paid but back then it was like $2.50 per hour. My parents never told me to go to work or ever had to tell me to go to work. I just did.

Comment

NO, because they tear up stuff, or run over it.

Comment

On occasion, yes. The pet kid will mow the yard.

Thing is, I've always liked mowing the yard. I started when I was 5 or 6. I started mowing yards for money when I was 7, because my folks were tired of me breaking parts on my bike (I loved dirt jumps)

Mowing is my time to put in my earbuds, and be alone uninterrupted for a while. This year has been extra fun for me, I bought a riding mower from one of the members here, did a little tuneup work on it, and zoom around the yard. I've started mowing the neighbor's yard too, since he never does it anyhow, and it makes things look a little nicer. I've been mowing twice a week here lately

When I don't feel like it, I send out Twerpy. She's mowed it plenty, and knows how to do a good job.

I usually reward her with a trip to the ice cream store, or something like that. I've never paid her for it, but she's never done without anything. She has had a job since she turned 16, she has to pay half for the upkeep of her animals (cows and sheep)

Comment

My 15 year old boy has been mowing the yard for a few years now. No direct pay but he gets a lot more things than I did growing up so that counters it. I would use the edger and the blower. Last month I decided I will not be doing yard work anymore and now he does it all. I forgot to mention he’s grounded all summer so that’s that.

Comment

Working...
                                X