No announcement yet.

Any lawn service business owners here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is something me and my special needs son could do; however, at 65 being in a windless backyard in August would probably kill me. You should hit Dustoffer, on here, up. I think he had a yard business for at least a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
      Don’t mow my yard on Sunday
      Don’t mow my yard after 5:00
      Don’t mow my yard when it’s wet
      Don’t mow my yard when it doesn’t need it
      Don’t mow my yard and come back 3 days later to weed eat
      Don’t scalp my yard
      Don’t mow around “stuff”
      Don’t just show up....text me
      Stay away form this guy

Comment

Mention to your customers that you pay your taxes. (Not kidding) I recently started with a new lawn guy. Old guy retired. New guys business name was Something like Hernandez landscaping Inc. So, I write my first check after a couple of weeks using him and he had the balls to reject my check because it wasn’t written to his business name and not his personal name. Fired!!

Comment

Know your worth
          Set yourself apart
          Insurance
          LLC
          Licenses
          Web presence

Also best investment I’ve made has been box truck/ trailers and logos (nothing overpowering). Mobile billboards and keeps your equipment out of the elements and pawn shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            Mention to your customers that you pay your taxes. (Not kidding) I recently started with a new lawn guy. Old guy retired. New guys business name was Something like Hernandez landscaping Inc. So, I write my first check after a couple of weeks using him and he had the balls to reject my check because it wasn’t written to his business name and not his personal name. Fired!!

I own my own business, an LLC. I pay my taxes. My business account is in my personal name. Doesn’t matter from a tax stand point, because an LLC is viewed as a sole proprietorship in the eyes of the federal government. Who you write the check to is not an indicator of whether they pay taxes or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
              I own my own business, an LLC. I pay my taxes. My business account is in my personal name. Doesn’t matter from a tax stand point, because an LLC is viewed as a sole proprietorship in the eyes of the federal government. Who you write the check to is not an indicator of whether they pay taxes or not.

So you’d reject a check written to your business name?

Comment

Lawns

Originally posted by WildMatt84 View Post
                Not to recently I made a change in the fire department I work for. I went from one full time department to another, it just so happens the one im working for now used to be my side job. So not having a side job and a 48 on 96 off schedule has left me with a bunch of free time. SOOOOO I decided to start a lawn business.I have everything I need, zero turn, trailer, edger, 2 trimmers, back pack blower, all sorts of hand tools and a 33" walk behind. Now its just a matter of getting customers. Ive been grinding it out on social media and putting out flyers and business cards, just seems a little slow going. Looking for any tips and tricks from anyone in the business and how they built their client base
                I have been doing it for over 10 years now. The first was slow going and I to travel like 30 miles into Baton Rouge and do some forclosure deals for banks in some not so nice places. Went through some of my savings to stay afloat but it worked out well. Bust butt all summer just cutting around here now and off the winter to hunt when I want. Little tough getting started but don't give up. I don't do flower beds and stuff like to much trouble for the little money make. I'll fine a local guy to do that for me. Stay positive and it will work out. Good Luck

Comment

I have been using the same guys for years.
                  They do a few neighbors yards throughout the week.
                  The only thing that has changed in the last few years is they will show up and unload the trailer of any valuables and hide them behind bushes or they put them in a backyard out of site. They have been hit too many times by getting hit while they are working.

If you have all new stuff your going to be a target. Protect your investment.

Comment

Originally posted by DoveBlaster View Post
                    Know your worth
                    Set yourself apart
                    Insurance
                    LLC
                    Licenses
                    Web presence

Also best investment I’ve made has been box truck/ trailers and logos (nothing overpowering). Mobile billboards and keeps your equipment out of the elements and pawn shops.
                    I went DBA, but after speaking with a few people I am just going to file for the LLC and be done with it. Seems to be much more separation between personal assets and business

Comment

Unprofessional, yes but doesn't necessarily mean he isn't paying taxes.

He might not have set up a commercial bank account set up with the DBA he is using.

But when it quacks like a duck......

Comment

A lot of guys I know do lawn around here.

Don't be afraid to fire a customer....Some just are not worth it.

Commercial is where the money is at! But it can be a lot of work.

I saw an ad(in California) for a company that only uses electric. With all the imports for Cali, that might be a good business model(it's the future anyways) and you can charge more and set yourself apart from the rest.

Comment

Probably just trying to avoid any hassle from his bank with who the check is written to. I’m sure the way he handled it has something to do with your reaction also. In my case, I make it clear in my invoices who to make checks out to. I still have people write checks to my business name from time to time. I haven’t had any issues with my bank yet, but do get nervous trying to deposit those checks.

To answer your question, no I don’t reject those checks... at least not right off. If and when I have any issue depositing them, I will reject them.

Comment

I've been using the same people for 21 years now. The first time I was approached, I was pushing a lawnmower in my front yard in the middle of summer, while this Mexican guy was mowing my neighbor's house right next door. A 7 year old little boy gets out of the truck, walked up and I killed the mower. He said, "Mister, my dad will do your yard for $25". I pushed that lawn mower in the garage, got a cold beer out of the fridge, popped open a lawn chair and became a loyal client of Velasquez Lawn Care.

They've kept my business by doing great work, being honest, telling me when they've broken something and then fixing it, offering other services such as replacing dead plants etc., and having fair pricing. In those 21 years, I've watched their business grow substantially. That original little 7 year old now runs the company. His parents finally, and through a lot of dedication, proudly got their American citizenship. They run multiple crews, but Dad and son still mow and weedeat right along with their workers. They'd have to bury a body on my place to get fired at this point. I've come to love the people.

Comment

I wouldn't but my bank would, and I paid every penny of my share of taxes. Operated the same way for years and occasionally had to ask for checks to be rewritten.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Venmo, Cashapp, Apple Pay, etc are really popular now.

The more automation/convenience you can provide for your customers the better.

As far as checks, it depends on how the account is set up.

We have Inc, LP, and DBAs all under different names. Account is under DBA. Checks written to LP or INC wouldn’t be accepted. But then again they wouldn’t know anything other than my DBA unless they researched it.

Comment

Working...
                                X