No announcement yet.

WWII ship models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. I’m headed to the back doctor for the first time in 65 years. I figure I’ll wind up getting the spine shots and ride that out as long as I can. The knee doctor told me no go on replacement surgery. They won’t pay for it as long as I have cartilage so I’m relegated to arthritis in both knees and cortisone shots for the foreseeable future. I’m thankful I’m above ground folks but sure wish this body would have aged like fine wine instead of sway backed horse waiting on the glue factory.

Comment

Found a pic of the model I gave my dad.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	410yG1RY4LL__AC_SX425_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	24653280

Comment

So did he finish it? Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          So did he finish it? Pics?
          Yes he did. He passed a few years ago and it was given to the grandson that helped him. I do not have any pics.

Comment

I don't build models, but I love the older battleships with those big 16" guns! Here's the USS Iowa destroyer.. Maybe, I'll get into doing this one day?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	24653286

Comment

Originally posted by Spino~ View Post
              I don't build models, but I love the older battleships with those big 16" guns! Here's the USS Iowa destroyer BATTLESHIP .. Maybe, I'll get into doing this one day?

[ATTACH]1051543[/ATTACH]
              Fixed it for you....

On a sidenote, in my search for the Oklahoma I found a model of the USS Texas.

Comment

I think the whole model building started fading years ago. I know when I was a kid in the 80s, most of the models available were snap together, not nearly as accurate in many details as the older stuff, you had to glue together. That was the point, I quit building models. In recent years I have found a few places that sell models, it seems most are the similar to the stuff that caused me to quit building models. There are a lot of planes I would like to build, but if they have multiple very obvious mistakes or omissions to the model, I don't want any part of them.

As a kid I mainly put together model planes. We did one large battle ship, one time. That was definitely a one time only deal, never did that again. When we did that one, it was back in the 70s, when I was probably only 7 years old. The thing was almost as big as the coffee table. So there were thousands of tiny pieces to glue on the ship. Back then the Testors model glue was some strong stuff, one the fumes were very stout and two the glue would melt the plastic, if you put too much on. I remember trying to put those tiny pieces on that ship with all of the fumes coming off of the ship. I wound up getting the most ungodly head ache, I was rolling on the floor screaming. Then the next day, we tried to get back to the ship and found a lot of the pieces were melted. That was the last battle ship I ever tried. Some years after that, Testors model glue was tamed down a lot, it did not ever work as well as that older stuff, but at the same time, it did not melt plastic near as bad, or if at all. The fumes were nowhere near as bad as the older stuff, I was glad it had a lot less fumes and the stuff did not melt pieces near as easily. But too often the stuff never cured, it would always be on a model I really wanted to come out nice.
                I remember there was lemon and orange scented Testors glue. I remember multiple of the models I put together with the weaker, newer glue. The glue never cured, it would stay in a gel state, so pieces would lean over, sag or fall off. That was another reason I quit building models.

I remember the battle ship looked great from a distance, with all of guns all over it, but up close, it looked like the ship was near ground zero of a atomic bomb explosion or something, that caused much of the ship to start to melt.

If I could find another ship with the detail of that ship, then a glue that would not eat my brain up like that old Testors glue, and the glue would cure properly and not melt the plastic. I would love to build another one of those ships. I would have to build it outside, I know there would be fumes of some degree, with that much glue.

I never realized how many guns the biggest of the old battle ships had on them, until we built that model. I remember thinking, you would have to be stupid to attack one of those battle ships, much less a fleet of them and some destroyers, along with carriers loaded with planes, ECT. But the Japanese were that type of stupid.

I would guess there are some model companies, that build kits for old farts that are very good quality and very accurate in the details. I would get irritated, if I bought a model, got it home and found it was a low quality with poor attention to details.

My wife knows I am a big fan of many WW II aircraft and would love to have many models and then quite a few of the jets. She has tried to get me to buy some, but when I really look over the boxes, I see things that tell me the model is not very accurate, so I won't buy it. If I ever find a company that only makes very accurate model planes and ships, I will definitely buy a few.

Comment

There are a few links on this thread that are good. Modeling has come a long way. You can buy resin with less assembly required or full assembly required. The paint schemes can be as difficult as you want em as well. Check out the hobbylinc link on here as well

Comment

I built several model ships, trucks and car when I was a kid. I even mixed up parts to create my own designs. After I painted then a couple of time and reinforced them with super glue I would blow them up with black cats. It was fun.

Comment

Ive built a few wooden ship models over the years. Fun and relaxing, but they do take a bit of time

Comment

The rigging on those ships are a nightmare

Comment

They can be for sure. I have one that i finished the hull and all about a year ago. Need to start the rigging to finish it ha. But I also built one of a wood planked fishing trawler. Very little rigging on it

Comment

Working...
                          X