NW Houston living advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NW Houston living advice?

I wouldn’t live south of the beltway on 290, 249, 45, or 59.

If I were him I would look into the cypress area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I get up right on Pinemont at Antoine as well. My parents still live there. I wouldn’t think a kid right out of college will enjoy that area at all. One of the suggestions above about the big apartment complex with pool is right on. His commute to work would be easy and probably wouldn’t even need to get on a freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
        I appreciate the advice so far. He will be renting an apartment and cost is a factor. I will help him some if it means he can live in a safer area. Advice from you guys familiar with the area is priceless. Thanks.
        Just dont live in the area he will be working...not very safe, even the apartments arounf oak forest are sketchy at best.. timbergrove is the closest i would look, like tc jester and 11th or the washington area. If not, cypress.. but be careful up there as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would go with Llano. Far enough North and West to live a great life.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
            I grew up at antoine and pinemont..and commuted for work at 290 and antoine for 5 years. The drive in the mornong from cypress is 20 to 30 minutes, afternoon was about 25 minutes. Dont live in the pinemont/290 area, its the hood. Oak Forest is nice but super expensive and is right on the edge of the hood (welcome to screwston). If he is going to be renting an apartment then look in areas like timbergrove or the galleria. I also commuted from the galleria to 290 and antoine and it was like 15 minutes in the moring 25 in the evening. The Washington area isnt bad either and there is a lot for younger folks to do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
            I agree, for a young professional, he will likely want to be in the "action" like the Heights, Galleria, Midtown, etc... These areas are prime with tons of other young professionals so the bar scene, restaurants, hang outs, etc... are all prime locations for "hunting".

Comment

Another note, if renting, have him sign a 6 month lease at first. This way he can figure out the lay of the land, and have a better idea of if he wants to move, or stay.

Comment

Cypress. I grew up at pinemont and Antoine and my parents still live there. My wife and I bought in cypress and you won’t see me going back into town

Everything in the heights is to flippin high and there’s lots of sketchy stuff around. There’s plenty to do around here. Lots of scenery at the boardwalk here in Towne lake
                Last edited by kd350; 04-19-2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

As a recent college graduate who grew up in Cypress, I would recommend living in town and commuting "against the grain" out to the burbs for work. Social scene for young professionals is not much in Cypress. Have many friends my age who love living in Heights, Montrose, Midtown areas. Even living in Cypress it will take 20-30mins to go anywhere anyways so may as well live somewhere fun around people his age. Just my $.02, totally understand some people may not care about living in a more fun area if they have other priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                    What is your ideal price range?
                    He probably needs to stay around 800$ per month on a one bedroom apartment if possible

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                      I agree, for a young professional, he will likely want to be in the "action" like the Heights, Galleria, Midtown, etc... These areas are prime with tons of other young professionals so the bar scene, restaurants, hang outs, etc... are all prime locations for "hunting".
                      He will be working six days a week and has an awesome girlfriend that he needs to marry soon. The local scene isn’t too important for him. Will have him look at the areas you mentioned. Thanks.

Comment

We left El Campo in 1960 and rented a home in Oak Forest. From there we moved to Spring Branch right off of Bingle and Kempwood. Lived there 14 years before graduating and going into the Marine Corps. That area got very bad for a while. My old neighborhood is predominantly Mexican nationals now. Some keep their homes up but appears most dont. Most if not all those apartment complexes around Spring Branch are low rent rendezvous now. As mentioned Cypress, Jersey Villiage may be a good option as well as Katy. 290 can be a nightmare as well as I 10.

Comment

Right at 290/Pinemont most of your apartments are going to be sketchy at best. Don't even think about tidwell/antoine/bingle. Oak Forest/garden oaks proper is really nice but expensive. Rentals are going for $1600 at minimum for the original 3/1 homes. The area is typical Houston. Eastern Garden Oaks is a bunch of new mcmansions, farther west in Oak Forest where I'm at is mostly the original houses. Go a couple miles north or west and you end up in Acres homes or the barrio part of Spring Branch, some really rough areas. Either go outside the Beltway, or just inside 610 would be my suggestion. I lived in apartments for years out of school. They're all the same, just depends on the price range, and then you're still in Houston so it's a crap shoot.
                          Last edited by jdg13; 04-20-2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X