Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Idaho
Default NW Houston living advice?

One of my sons is graduating from A&M next month and he took a job in NW Houston. Itís close to 290 and Pinemont Dr. He has never lived in a big city before. I donít know anything about Houston. Is that a decent part of town or should he look for an apartment further out towards Cypress. How bad is traffic on 290 in that area? He wants to live within 20 minutes of work if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Oak forest subdivision, garden oaks are all good. Right east of 290 & pinemont. Lived here for 55 yrs. 290 is bad in aM & Pm during rush hours. If he has any questions, be glad to help him out.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Oak forest subdivision, garden oaks are all good. Right east of 290 & pinemont. Lived here for 55 yrs. 290 is bad in aM & Pm during rush hours. If he has any questions, be glad to help him out.
Yep, I'm in the same area. Lots of good restaurants/bars to keep him occupied as well.
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
Davoh
Ten Point

Hunt In: In my imagination...

I spent a lot of years living in the NW side(249/belt, champions, spring, out to Magnolia).

I wouldn't live inside the belt on any side of Houston. but that's just me. I would definitely encourage him to look in Cypress.
Davoh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

My mom lives in the oak forest/ garden oaks on pinemont area and it is becomeing a very nice area now than what it used to be. As long as he has no problen being surrounded by white middle aged hipter blue state migrants.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #6
bignick612
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Lee, Victoria Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoh View Post
I wouldn't live inside the belt on any side of Houston. but that's just me. I would definitely encourage him to look in Cypress.
This. I grew up near Jersey Village and that area has gone downhill. Cypress would be his best bet.
bignick612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
One of my sons is graduating from A&M next month and he took a job in NW Houston. Itís close to 290 and Pinemont Dr. He has never lived in a big city before. I donít know anything about Houston. Is that a decent part of town or should he look for an apartment further out towards Cypress. How bad is traffic on 290 in that area? He wants to live within 20 minutes of work if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
I grew up at antoine and pinemont..and commuted for work at 290 and antoine for 5 years. The drive in the mornong from cypress is 20 to 30 minutes, afternoon was about 25 minutes. Dont live in the pinemont/290 area, its the hood. Oak Forest is nice but super expensive and is right on the edge of the hood (welcome to screwston). If he is going to be renting an apartment then look in areas like timbergrove or the galleria. I also commuted from the galleria to 290 and antoine and it was like 15 minutes in the moring 25 in the evening. The Washington area isnt bad either and there is a lot for younger folks to do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
AZST_bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post

In Oak Forest tear down & rebuild lots are going for $400K. Higher in Garden Oaks.

I would direct your son into looking at some of these huge apartment complexes that are already built and twice as many more going up.

Start your search from Washington as the south starting point.
Use Studewood as your east border & 610 as your west & north border.

Tell him to focus on the one with the best pool setup. When summer hits the pool looks like a Vegas party every weekend. They are very social and do tons of activities together. Grilling at the pool, bike rides, running, pub crawls.

They are co-ed dorms for adults. Don't go with him or your gonna want to move in with him.

Cypress social scene is a bunch of old drunks watching sports together.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Lived near Fallbrook and Beltway 8 for 5 yrs. Ditched that crap hole due to the horrible schools.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #10
speck1
Ten Point

I appreciate the advice so far. He will be renting an apartment and cost is a factor. I will help him some if it means he can live in a safer area. Advice from you guys familiar with the area is priceless. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #11
Scubasteveo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

I would have him look ay Cypress and Tomball area. Lot's of ground to cover in that area. I live in Rosehill area and work at 290 and 610 area. Takes me about 30 minutes to get to work and home. since 290 was redone traffic is usually a breeze.
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #12
Browning270
Four Point

Hunt In: Frio,Zavala

I live in the area as well as Pinemont and Ella area. I would suggest he look in the garden oaks area or look closer to 290/610 area. Lots of great places in the area to eat/drink. PM if your looking for any more info.
Browning270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #13
JHT
Pope & Young

What is your ideal price range?
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #14
txbowkill
Ten Point

Hunt In: East TX

Cypress area is my vote also. Good area and plenty to do, 290 isn’t that bad since it’s been redone.
txbowkill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #15
Ginja Ninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

JV
Ginja Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #16
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county
Default NW Houston living advice?

I wouldnít live south of the beltway on 290, 249, 45, or 59.

If I were him I would look into the cypress area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #17
vmont
Four Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Garwood

I get up right on Pinemont at Antoine as well. My parents still live there. I wouldn’t think a kid right out of college will enjoy that area at all. One of the suggestions above about the big apartment complex with pool is right on. His commute to work would be easy and probably wouldn’t even need to get on a freeway.
vmont is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #18
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
I appreciate the advice so far. He will be renting an apartment and cost is a factor. I will help him some if it means he can live in a safer area. Advice from you guys familiar with the area is priceless. Thanks.
Just dont live in the area he will be working...not very safe, even the apartments arounf oak forest are sketchy at best.. timbergrove is the closest i would look, like tc jester and 11th or the washington area. If not, cypress.. but be careful up there as well.

AZST_bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #19
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I would go with Llano. Far enough North and West to live a great life.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #20
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
I grew up at antoine and pinemont..and commuted for work at 290 and antoine for 5 years. The drive in the mornong from cypress is 20 to 30 minutes, afternoon was about 25 minutes. Dont live in the pinemont/290 area, its the hood. Oak Forest is nice but super expensive and is right on the edge of the hood (welcome to screwston). If he is going to be renting an apartment then look in areas like timbergrove or the galleria. I also commuted from the galleria to 290 and antoine and it was like 15 minutes in the moring 25 in the evening. The Washington area isnt bad either and there is a lot for younger folks to do.

I agree, for a young professional, he will likely want to be in the "action" like the Heights, Galleria, Midtown, etc... These areas are prime with tons of other young professionals so the bar scene, restaurants, hang outs, etc... are all prime locations for "hunting".
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #21
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Another note, if renting, have him sign a 6 month lease at first. This way he can figure out the lay of the land, and have a better idea of if he wants to move, or stay.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #22
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Cypress. I grew up at pinemont and Antoine and my parents still live there. My wife and I bought in cypress and you won’t see me going back into town

Everything in the heights is to flippin high and there’s lots of sketchy stuff around. There’s plenty to do around here. Lots of scenery at the boardwalk here in Towne lake

Last edited by kd350; 04-19-2021 at 05:15 PM.
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #23
Gigem2019
Spike

As a recent college graduate who grew up in Cypress, I would recommend living in town and commuting "against the grain" out to the burbs for work. Social scene for young professionals is not much in Cypress. Have many friends my age who love living in Heights, Montrose, Midtown areas. Even living in Cypress it will take 20-30mins to go anywhere anyways so may as well live somewhere fun around people his age. Just my $.02, totally understand some people may not care about living in a more fun area if they have other priorities.
Gigem2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 07:16 AM   #24
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
What is your ideal price range?
He probably needs to stay around 800$ per month on a one bedroom apartment if possible
Old 04-20-2021, 07:19 AM   #25
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBowHntr View Post
I agree, for a young professional, he will likely want to be in the "action" like the Heights, Galleria, Midtown, etc... These areas are prime with tons of other young professionals so the bar scene, restaurants, hang outs, etc... are all prime locations for "hunting".
He will be working six days a week and has an awesome girlfriend that he needs to marry soon. The local scene isnít too important for him. Will have him look at the areas you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #26
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

We left El Campo in 1960 and rented a home in Oak Forest. From there we moved to Spring Branch right off of Bingle and Kempwood. Lived there 14 years before graduating and going into the Marine Corps. That area got very bad for a while. My old neighborhood is predominantly Mexican nationals now. Some keep their homes up but appears most dont. Most if not all those apartment complexes around Spring Branch are low rent rendezvous now. As mentioned Cypress, Jersey Villiage may be a good option as well as Katy. 290 can be a nightmare as well as I 10.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #27
FVR JR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret

Right at 290/Pinemont most of your apartments are going to be sketchy at best. Don't even think about tidwell/antoine/bingle. Oak Forest/garden oaks proper is really nice but expensive. Rentals are going for $1600 at minimum for the original 3/1 homes. The area is typical Houston. Eastern Garden Oaks is a bunch of new mcmansions, farther west in Oak Forest where I'm at is mostly the original houses. Go a couple miles north or west and you end up in Acres homes or the barrio part of Spring Branch, some really rough areas. Either go outside the Beltway, or just inside 610 would be my suggestion. I lived in apartments for years out of school. They're all the same, just depends on the price range, and then you're still in Houston so it's a crap shoot.

Last edited by FVR JR; 04-20-2021 at 07:42 AM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top