No announcement yet.

The Old Man and the Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone gave me a first edition copy for my 50th Bday.. Special gift.

Comment

I downloaded it to read it for my first time. I was working nights, and was pretty excited to have this great story to read for the next few days. Well about 1/4 the way through the night it was over. I was pretty disappointed. Not at the story, it was great, but the fact that its a short story and I wasnt aware.

If you have not read The Old Man and the Boy you should. (not a hemingway)

Comment

We had to read it in high school english class.

I agree that it is a great story

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
          What did your grandson's have to say about it?
          The books are in the mail to two. My youngest (10) is local and he'll get it tonight. He's a fishing maniac.
          The other two older boys need to get in touch with nature and I figure the book may do the trick.

In the link I provided there's a link to an article that debates actually killing huge Marlin.
          Last edited by Bluesman; 04-13-2021, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Great book, lots of life lessons can be found in it!!

Comment

I always liked his books but as I got older the life behind the books became as interesting as the stories it produced. What a life that guy lived.

In Key West years ago we toured his casa there. If you go be sure to do it.
              The story of the house & how it was built was jacked up like everything else in his life but gives off a vibe of how cool it must have been back in his day doing the things he did.

Comment

While not a role model, it is hard to argue that EH lead an incredible life. For those that have not read it, I highly recommend reading The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5McTBGvvd0"]The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber - Ernest Hemingway (full audiobook) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

one of the 1st "grown up" books i read...was a great story! May have to re-read it now that you brought it up!ha

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                    While not a role model, it is hard to argue that EH lead an incredible life. For those that have not read it, I highly recommend reading The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber - Ernest Hemingway (full audiobook) - YouTube
                    I read that in college, it was great.

Anybody have thoughts on the Hemingway documentary that aired last week?
                    It seemed quite negative to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post

I really really liked the first 2 episodes about his early life and career, the third about his down fall and loses in Cuba where kinda depressing,
                      Eh short stories and novels are very good, snows of kilamjaro short happy life are my favorites

“” Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the Masai 'Ngaje Ngai', the House of God. Close to the western summit there is a dried and frozen carcas of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.
                      ””
                      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-13-2021, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I read a huge Biography about Hemingway before I ever read a book written by him. He was a complicated fella, like a lot of writers tend to be. I'm more of a fan of his life story than I am his writing.

The Old Man and the Sea is my favorite of his books I've read. I do have an old copy of The Green Hills of Africa. As far as my books about Africa go, it's just middle of the road IMO.

Comment

I read it first in 2019. Great book. Im gonna get my 8YO to read it.

Good push Bluesman.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            Great book. Hemingway was a complicated tortured genius. Check out the Ken Burns documentary on him currently running on PBS
                            My wife just watched this and said it was fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post

For a Ken Burns documentary? I agree, it was a bit negative.
                              Hemingway seemed bound and determined to destroy himself but a few others in that family seemed that way as well. As late as 1996 with Margot Louise "Margaux" Hemingway and drugs.
                              I guess there were 7 suicides in that family.
                              Last edited by Bluesman; 04-13-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/hemingway/

link to Ken Burns 3 part documentary.

Old Man and the Sea is one of my favorites, and Hemingway was an original bad a**

Comment

Working...
                                X