Long Term Effect of 13" rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
    Yes sir, we ran game cameras before antler restrictions and we've run them after and the results for our area have been nothing less than outstanding. Its the single best thing tpwd has done to grow bigger bucks on low fence and its also balanced the buck doe ratio for us, its close to 50/50 but we actually have more bucks than does now.
    What benefit are you seeing on your place on cams? More deer? Larger bucks?
    How big is your place?

Seems like 50/50 the benefits. More deer vs bigger deer?

Comment

We have seen bucks in Wise county the last 5 years better than we have ever seen. Been ruining cameras for 15-20 years. The only thing I can directly attribute it to is the 13” rule and somewhat lighter hunting pressure. You will always have narrow bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
        Yep, my area of my county has gotten a lot worse since the inception. I was excited about it at first but quickly changed my mind. Too much junk allowed to live.... not just less than 13” deer either. If I have one 13” + tag, why would I waste my tag on a short tined, wide , older 8pt? I won’t and many others aren’t either. Too much pressure on the very best bucks and not many of them are living to see another year. My deer herd has gotten progressively worse over the years, despite my best efforts to shoot does, harvest the right bucks, and feed protein heavily. I could show you many, many examples of old, narrow, junk bucks that cannot be shot. And for the first time since owning the property in 12 years , I am starting to notice genetic traits in deer today that I saw years ago. Scary similarities.

For the record, I am in favor of the rule . Just not in my area of the county. I’ve seen the huge benefits in East TX, west of Houston and on my old lease counties Bosque & Hamilton.
        I said this exact thing was going to happen when they implemented this for Mills county.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
          True.
          But the inverse of your statement also must be true.
          The benefit we will see from the 13" rule is complete, to change a genetic code would take millenia minimum.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          The 13” spread rule is not to alter the gene pool, it’s to simply let bucks live longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            Haha... yes we can be friends if you bring the beer

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
            Gladly! I’ll bring some rum as well

Comment

If you’re that concerned with your herd, put the work in and get into the MLD program. Then you can shoot those narrow deer. IMO, the 13” rule has greatly increased the amount of decent sized bucks across the board. It is far better than shoot anything you want.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                How many mature bucks did you have before antler restrictions?
                The answer is probably “not many.”

Antler restrictions are the best thing to happen to deer hunting in (specifically) East Texas since the q-beam.

Comment

What do the 3 year olds look like? And how many are getting shot?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                    I think you missed 10 to 20 really important points of his statement.
                    I think that’s enough to pass the ‘star test’. Fortunately the SAT was easy enough.

Comment

This is a dead horse subject. Pros out weigh cons BIG TIME. If I had a place loaded with narrow deer I wouldn’t even bother going MLD, I’d just find a better place. I HATE narrow bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                        The 13” spread rule is not to alter the gene pool, it’s to simply let bucks live longer.
                        That's what I'm saying, any benefit has already been realized. Its been around long enough the bucks are living to 3.5 years before being legal.

Comment

I’m pretty certain if you showed the warden in your area those few deer he would give the green light. They are all mature.

A civil conversation is worth a try.

Or do like someone else recommended and get a biologist out there and try for the MLD program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Its been a good addition to the place I hunt in Trinity County. We had fewer deer and basket racks mostly. Im on a small private property surrounded by a large lease and bordered by DCNF. The last 5-6 years has doubled our numbers and quality. I took my first buck off the place just this year. He was 5+ years old and 17 1/2” inside spread with double split brows. For the first time ever, i still have another 5 Year old and a great up and coming 4 year old that i hope makes it to next year, all frequenting the same set.

There is one exception that i doubt will ever be legal. Its a little buck whos first set of antlers go straight up about 10” and have 3 pts each side with maybe 2” per tine. Weird little thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                              That's what I'm saying, any benefit has already been realized. Its been around long enough the bucks are living to 3.5 years before being legal.

Agreed. But I hope they keep it in place here in East Texas for the remainder of time. It has been a game changer on every East Texas place I’ve hunted.

The more and more people that see the results and the satisfaction of killing mature deer, it’s just going to get better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                                What benefit are you seeing on your place on cams? More deer? Larger bucks?
                                How big is your place?

Seems like 50/50 the benefits. More deer vs bigger deer?
                                Both. Hunting has become so much better in our area over the last decade. Everyone I talk to agrees.

I have 3 places: 160 acres, 45 acres, and 165 acres. Across the board bucks are better.

Comment

Working...
                                X