Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another contractor problem/advice thread

I need some help folks.

I’ve been teaching construction for 20 years and have always done everything I need around the house. At 61, I decided I was going to let someone else help. I hired a guy/crew to install 2- 20x50 awnings on my shop. He gave me a price and I agreed to it. He wanted half down and although I was weary, I did it. We discussed extensively how it was going to be done and in a few days he bought the framing materials. Last Monday he started.

Day 1- he digs holes 2.5 feet deep for the footings. I say not deep enough and he tells me that was the deal. I explain a 1000 sq ft awning at the top of a 30 acre pasture needs deeper footing. He turns his back on me and starts working. I explain ignoring me ain’t going to make me go away. After some arguing I tell him pack his stuff and leave even though I’m underwater on the job. After a little more discussion, I agree to pay for an auger rental and extra concrete. BTW, I wanted 4’ deep. My deck is 2.5’ deep in the ground.

Day 2- I help dig the holes with his crew. Ground was hard and the auger wouldn’t cut it. We get them dug and set so I leave him alone. He pours the concrete and puts in posts but leaves the concrete 1’ down from ground level with no rebar or wire to hold when the rest is poured.

Day 3- he gets the framing set on the uphill side, looked ok and he goes to the downhill side and installs the framing. Again, I’m trying not to be a d*** so I leave him alone. When he gets the frame up I look at it and say “that’s not a 2/12 pitch”. I didn’t notice it on the uphill wall because of the optical illusion of roof going down and the ground going up. He says he changed it because I told him I wanted 10’ clearance on the long wall. I tell him I never said that but I did say 10’ on the short wall which is the pitch end, but that only comes into play if I install gables to close in the ends. He says there was a miscommunication and it’s not his problem. He leaves and I get out a tape and measure clearance of the shallowest part of the long wall. 11’6” On the downhill wall, 14’2”. Massive openings so rain will readily be blowing in. The roofing tin was also delivered today.

Day 4- I call him on the pitch problem pointing out his 10’ opening theory didn’t hold water and he admits he screwed up. My shop has a 5/12 pitch and I tell him worried water is going to back up on the 1/12 pitch while roaring off the 5/12 and cause problems. Of course he says that’s not going to be a problem. Other than the massive opening all around, it looked OK and I figure I can add gables all around at some point so I say don’t worry about it, I can deal. On this day (yesterday) he installs one side of the roofing. It takes forever IMO and there is a lot of grinding and cutting. He gets done about 1400 and I look at it. The agreed upon 3” overhang goes from 2.75” at one end to 1.375” at the other end. I had previously told him I planned to install gutters so I need extra overhang and now if I have to install gables the roof won’t even cover the gable tin on that end. I call him on it and he packs up and leaves.
    This AM I’m over there and look up where the shop roof meets the awning and I see light. I climb up on the roof and low and behold he didn’t install flashing. It’s here, a package stretched wrap packed and unopened. He just didn’t put it in. The problem is there is no room for it.
    The building had tabs welded in and originally he stated he would have to cut some of the top of the existing tabs off to make it fit. He didn’t do that and now there is no room for flashing unless they have a flashing that fits R panel to R panel in shape.
    My question is, what I should do. They worked hard in some hot Texas heat but this won’t work. I’m going to have water pouring down my shop wall at the minimum and possibly worse. What do you all think i should do? I tried to give all info but if you need clarification, just ask. I took a video of it all.

Thanks for any responses, Pete

I sure hate to hear these stories. Curious if he/you drew up plans prior? Or was it all verbal?

Comment

In my opinion, if you have already paid him 50%, ( which was a mistake) , and you are ok with a little disagreement, I would tell him to pack up and leave and dont come back. I wouldn't give him another dollar. He will scream, threaten to sue and put a lien on your place. I would tell him if he's lucky you won't pursue him for any additional cost you're going to incur getting a contractor to fix it.

Did you have a plan or was it all verbal?

Just my opinion

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by junkmanhunter; 07-11-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        I sure hate to hear these stories. Curious if he/you drew up plans prior? Or was it all verbal?
        I hit send before I typed this same question.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

No, Mostly verbal. A small contract. IMO certain things like tapering roof line and not installing flashing he purchased for the job wouldn't hold up in court. Even someone who knows nothing could understand why a crooked roof is wrong. At this point I'm no longer underwater on this. I priced the materials at what I've given him. I had several bids all in the same price range but I wanted to give it to a local and he did come with a referral of a neighbor.

It's my though that his guys deserve something.

Comment

If you’ve been teaching construction for 20 years and still feel like you owe him something, maybe offer up some lessons. Sounds like he needs them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X