Freezer Thawed Need Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer Thawed Need Advise

On my way home from work I called the wife to ask her to thaw out some axis. She called right back with terrible news that the freezer was cracked open and everything was thawed out and there was a smell. Its a big upright freezer that probably has 4 whitetail and 2 axis. Everything in the door is bad for sure and there's warm blood in the door trays. I figure thats where the smell is coming from. I had her pull a sample of every different kind of meat other than whats in the door, smell it and take the internal temp. Everything smelled just fine and had a temp of about 60. It feels like its been thawed and out of the fridge for about 15 minutes.

Timeline: I figure it started to thaw this last Friday morning at about 5 A.M. when I got some sausage out to take to the lease. Thats the earliest it could have happened. Kids could have done it later but I doubt it.

My plan as of now is to DEFINITELY throw out everything in the door as well as anything that is mixed with raw pork.

Is it safe to assume with red meat that if it smells OK inside and out then its safe? I figure it probably just got to that temp today. Any advise would be appreciated.

Ratchet strap the whole thing shut and drive it straight to the dump. Don’t attempt to save anything. Just cut your losses

Lol had a buddy ask me to help him clean out a freezer that went out. I’m traumatized for life. Never messing with that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
      Ratchet strap the whole thing shut and drive it straight to the dump. Don’t attempt to save anything. Just cut your losses

Lol had a buddy ask me to help him clean out a freezer that went out. I’m traumatized for life. Never messing with that again.
      The freezer is fine. It was just cracked open and still running. The meat is all still somewhat cold. The only thing that smells is in the door where it wasn't staying cold and it doesn't even smell that bad.

Comment

May be salvageable then. I’d just chuck everything in the door and give the rest the smell test when you go to cook it.

Comment

May be salvageable then. I’d just chuck everything in the door and give the rest the smell test when you go to cook it.
          Thats the plan as of now. Just kind of taking a poll. Thanks.

Comment

I did that with one once. It was rank and stuff oozing.

Comment

Last edited by waterdog; 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Get rid of the door pieces and refreeze the rest. JMO!

Comment

If its still cold I'd freeze it and keep it.. stuff in the door is probably bad.. once you start cooking it you will know if the stuff you save is bad or not.. it will smell bad when it's cooking..

Comment

Not worth the risk with internal temps around 60. Close it up, freeze everything, then throw it out. Clean your freezer and hope for better luck. I have a latch on my upright to prevent that From happening.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                      If its still cold I'd freeze it and keep it.. stuff in the door is probably bad.. once you start cooking it you will know if the stuff you save is bad or not.. it will smell bad when it's cooking..
                      ^^^^ This

Comment

Crank up the smoker! Tell your wife to get ready to make some spaghetti and casseroles and throw it all back in the freezer. You won't have to cook for months

Comment

This.

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          not worth the risk with internal temps around 60. Close it up, freeze everything, then throw it out. Clean your freezer and hope for better luck. I have a latch on my upright to prevent that from happening.

Comment

This is what I would do/did..Happened to me last summer..I had some grass fed beef in there also..Temp alarms plugged into a 110 are a deer hunter's best friend.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just ate a small piece of axis steak. Smelled fine cooking and tasted normal. Might be updating from the toilet. Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X