AC Help/Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Help/Question

Here is what I got going on... I live in Corpus where the humidity is high and I understand that. What I don't understand is how is the inside of my house getting humidity in it? Why isn't my AC dehumidifying my house? I am currently running two dehumidifiers and they both fill up within 6-8 hours of running. I was my coils, and I just went into the attic and put bleach in my drain after I blew it out. I am still not getting any condensate from my unit to the outside drain and my drain pan isn't full. I have checked for air leaks and my front door is slightly warped, causing some air to come in but other than that, thats about it. I don't know what else to do or what else is going on... If anyone can give me some guidance, I would sure appreciate it! We have been fighting this since we moved in a little over a year ago and I am really frustrated at this point, lol!

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
    Here is what I got going on... I live in Corpus where the humidity is high and I understand that. What I don't understand is how is the inside of my house getting humidity in it? Why isn't my AC dehumidifying my house? I am currently running two dehumidifiers and they both fill up within 6-8 hours of running. I was my coils, and I just went into the attic and put bleach in my drain after I blew it out. I am still not getting any condensate from my unit to the outside drain and my drain pan isn't full. I have checked for air leaks and my front door is slightly warped, causing some air to come in but other than that, thats about it. I don't know what else to do or what else is going on... If anyone can give me some guidance, I would sure appreciate it! We have been fighting this since we moved in a little over a year ago and I am really frustrated at this point, lol!
    That’s front door is not it. When was your house built? Newer are built much tighter but older homes leak like a sieve. If your ac is putting your house under negative pressure you are sucking in exterior air the whole time it’s running, every time you dry clothes, the air going out the exhaust is being replaced by air from the exterior.

Comment

If your AC is keeping the house cool, especially with 2 dehumidifiers running, I can assure you that there is some condensate being taken out. Are you sure you are looking at the primary drain and not the secondary?

Best things to keep humidity low are tight home envelope, eliminate duct leakage. A multi-stage AC can help as well with extended run time.

Might also be time to have a pro look at the ac and make sure it is performing right.

Comment

This is sort of what my handler looks like.. I put bleach in the open pipe to kill any algae that may be growing in the pipe. I am also not sure where that other drain leads to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One cause for having a humid house is if your unit is oversized it can be short cycling (i.e. running for only a short period of time before shutting off). When short cycling occurs less total air volume passes over the coils and thus less moisture is removed from the air. This coupled with excess infiltration (i.e. outside air leaking into the house from cracks/openings) will definitely cause humidity issues.

There are other potential causes but if the house is being evenly cooled these would be the first things I’d look for.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
            One cause for having a humid house is if your unit is oversized it can be short cycling (i.e. running for only a short period of time before shutting off). When short cycling occurs less total air volume passes over the coils and thus less moisture is removed from the air. This coupled with excess infiltration (i.e. outside air leaking into the house from cracks/openings) will definitely cause humidity issues.

There are other potential causes but if the house is being evenly cooled these would be the first things I’d look for.
            This right here. Bigger is not always better

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post

My thoughts as well.

Comment

Odds are it is oversized just like most are saying. Do you know the square footage of your home and also what ton system you have. Generally speaking, and I mean really general, you want about 400sq feet of conditioned space per ton. And did I say that was a very general rule and can change dramatically with the homes design/construction?
                How long has it been an issue? I’m guessing a wile since you are using dehumidifiers.
                What is the thermostat set at and how long is the system running to satisfy and shut off?

Comment

Sometimes they will pipe the drain line into the vent pipes. The pipe that is outside the house is usually the back up so you can see there's a problem when the pipe is dripping.

Comment

The drain line that is going outside is an auxiliary/emergency drain line. If you have water coming through that line, your primary drain line, which is the other drain line in your drawing, is plugged and you have a problem. You will have condensate draining from the other line if the inside coil is cold. That line is goong to be piped into a drain, typically a bathroom sink drain line. The unit should be sized based on the heat load in the home. If the unit is too large it will not run long enough to remove the humidity. You may need to downsize the equipment but this means whole system changeout. Have a local reputable company come and do a heat load calculation rather than sizing by square footage.

Comment

Do you know if your house has the foam insulation. If so, your house will be sealed tighter than most. like some have said you may have an oversized unit that is short cycling. with a foamed house your r factor is better and you can go with a smaller unit.

Comment

Like said above, make sure your checking your primary drain for condensate. If your house is staying cool and there is condensate in your primary then make sure that line is clean. If not, your secondary pan will be catching it. Running two dehumidifiers, you won't have near as much flowing either.

Comment

The pipe with open part where you have ? Mark is the primary line. It should tie into internal septic system. Look to see general direction it travels in attic toward a bathroom or sink
                          It sounds like it’s draining or your secondary pan will fill up

Comment

Get a pro to check the operation, and refrigerant levels. Run a capacity test to see what your system is doing, sensible and latent heat wise. He may find you are oversized. Could be a combination of loose construction, and performance.

An oversized system will cool your house, but will not run long enough to remove enough humidity to achive comfort. Example, a 65° house isnt comfortable at 60+% humidity.

Comment

A lot of great advice! Thank you all.

We had a pro come out a while back and he said that our unit is perfect for the size of our house. Our house was built in 2013 so it should be sturdy and sealed up nicely. We didn't turn on our dehumidifiers for a couple of hours yesterday and you could feel the humidity in the house.. Its ridiculous..

Comment

Working...
                              X