• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabbage
    Carrots
    Up close of Brussel Sprouts
    Attached Files

Comment

Just started seeds yesterday. Mainly tomatoes, various peppers, zuchini, & cucumbers. Will need to build above ground beds for all of them, just having a difficult time avoiding the shade in my backyard now that my oak trees have matured. Any tips on what kind of soil to use in above ground beds. I'm guessing by the bag is easiest, but can get costly quick. Any certain mix I should use?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My favorite pic so far this year. My neighbors daughter showed an interest in the garden this last fall. Everytime I'm in my backyard she asks to come over and help. She's helped me spread mulch, pick weeds, lay down compost and plant the seedlings. Last week I told her it was harvest day for the cabbage. She was so excited and finally got to see the results of all our effort! She also picked some kale and collards to take home. I'm glad I get to teach someone so young and hope I've inspired her to garden in her adult life.
        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome work fellas! I have spinach, lettuce, garlic, onions, radish, bunching onions, and carrots going now. I'd love to plant asparagus as my fam loves it, but just don't have enough garden space to justify the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
            Just started seeds yesterday. Mainly tomatoes, various peppers, zuchini, & cucumbers. Will need to build above ground beds for all of them, just having a difficult time avoiding the shade in my backyard now that my oak trees have matured. Any tips on what kind of soil to use in above ground beds. I'm guessing by the bag is easiest, but can get costly quick. Any certain mix I should use?

For all my raised beds, I filled the bottom with a "filler". Mainly small branches, hay, pine needles, straw, grass clippings or any other organic material. After the filler, my raised bed mix consists of 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite. Mix all together and add on top of filler. The bottom filler layer will take up ALOT of space so you dont have to fill with so much soil. The organic material will naturally break down and feed the organisms over time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
              For all my raised beds, I filled the bottom with a "filler". Mainly small branches, hay, pine needles, straw, grass clippings or any other organic material. After the filler, my raised bed mix consists of 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite. Mix all together and add on top of filler. The bottom filler layer will take up ALOT of space so you dont have to fill with so much soil. The organic material will naturally break down and feed the organisms over time as well.
              I did the same with 'filler' with all of my raised beds. Works great! I also add all of the leaves from the yard every fall as mulch and organic material. Till it under in Spring. Not much need to add any soil over the last 7-8 years. A little compost here and there....

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                When do you plant?

I have a couple of 5x5 beds in the back yard and a 5'x20' plot in a community garden. Would 2 or 3 of the bush varieties produce enough peas to make it worth it?

The trouble with purple hull peas, is they are a vine plant and need space to spread out and grow. If you had full access to the 5 X 20 spot, you could plant enough peas there to make a bushel or so, but it would fill it up. We plant the peas first of March directly in the ground. You can start them in a greenhouse earlier than that if you want, but we never have.

Comment

Thanks so much... that's exactly the info I was looking for. How deep do you like to make your beds?

Last edited by BrandonH; 01-15-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

My beds are 3 feet deep. Filling the beds only hurt once money wise. After you fill the beds, it's simply a matter of adding organic matter on top and lightly tilling.

Comment

I picked two nice red tomatoes off my plant in the greenhouse yesterday, still producing from last season.

Comment

My favorite pic so far this year. My neighbors daughter showed an interest in the garden this last fall. Everytime I'm in my backyard she asks to come over and help. She's helped me spread mulch, pick weeds, lay down compost and plant the seedlings. Last week I told her it was harvest day for the cabbage. She was so excited and finally got to see the results of all our effort! She also picked some kale and collards to take home. I'm glad I get to teach someone so young and hope I've inspired her to garden in her adult life.
                        Great way to get young ones involved. I love this pic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          Great way to get young ones involved. I love this pic!!!
                          One of my favorite pictures is of my son picking a radish and celery that he helped plant and beaming smile lol

Comment

Dressed the garden with last years compost, and planted a bit of radish and spinach. Resting the soil a bit in the other garden just because it had extreme growth from tomatoes but only the grape tomatoes fruited.
                            Wintered my pepper plants, and my cayenne is already fruiting. Houston weather is still not normal to me lol. Tobascoes are ready to make a hot sauce.

Comment

Y’all have inspired me to not be lazy this weekend. Our new house has a sandbox the old owners left that I’ve been meaning to turn into a raised bed. Just needed to decide what to plant there. Probably tomatoes and pepper this year. Have some avocado trees that are 2yrs old so they still have a couple years before they start to fruit

Comment

With the warm temps this last week, my broccoli was getting ready to bolt.
                                So, I picked the heads and got them put away.

Comment

Working...
                                X