No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't take much to grow 3 of the 4 only veggies you need in Texas, tomatoes, jalapenos and onions. Taters are cheaper to buy at the store but do well in 55 gal barrels with drain holes at bottom and manure on top.

Taters in a barrel are easy to harvest. Just turn the barrel upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Yep. He's a master. Go to the Gardening playlist on my youtube channel and you will recognize some of his self-wicking totes and barrel cucumbers/watermelons:

https://www.youtube.com/KCARanch&Homestead
      I just subed your channel. When i get time later today i will take a look at the videos. I really want to start a channel, alls i need is time.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Don't take much to grow 3 of the 4 only veggies you need in Texas, tomatoes, jalapenos and onions.
        No Jalapenos for me this year. I grew enough last year to feed a Mexican army daily and my wife still just continued to buy them from Kroger's instead of walking 30 feet out of the back door and picking them.

Comment

I wish i had a garden.

I live in Boerne and would be happy to come by and pick up your veggies that dont make it, or get sick, or bugs get em, etc. I love to add them to my compost pile. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
            I wish i had a garden.

I live in Boerne and would be happy to come by and pick up your veggies that dont make it, or get sick, or bugs get em, etc. I love to add them to my compost pile. Thanks
            Why don't you have a garden?

Comment

My grapes are doing amazing this year... if my son doesnt eat them all, I foresee jam n wine lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                My grapes are doing amazing this year... if my son doesnt eat them all, I foresee jam n wine lol
                What kind of grapes do you grow? Also how are you doing it, fence or arbor? Growing grapes interests me.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  No Jalapenos for me this year. I grew enough last year to feed a Mexican army daily and my wife still just continued to buy them from Kroger's instead of walking 30 feet out of the back door and picking them.
                  Frustrating isn't it!

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                    I started my hydroponic grow barrels today after work. I found a couple black barrels that have screw on tops that i cut a hole in. Its a one time fertilizer blend that will keep the cucumber and squash plants growing all season and no soil needed other than what little bit i used in the planter cup to start the seeds.

Can I get more info on this? Looks like something I need to do.

Comment

Got a lot growing well in the backyard. Very happy with the 55 gallon cucumber barrel. It's taking off.

Lots of other stuff including bok choy, sugar cane, black berries, romaine, watermelons, corn, mint, carrots, kale, potatoes, onions

Comment

Originally posted by BangBang View Post
                        Check this guy out.

Comment

And here is the update on the 55 gallon barrels, then how to do the same for a 5 gallon bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by BangBang View Post
                            check out gardening with leon on YouTube. basically fill the barrels with water and a fertilizer solution called master blend. the mix ratios are easily found with a internet search. You only need about an eigth inch of water to touch the bottom of the container the plant grows in. the roots will grow out of the bottom of the pot and get fed in the water. basically maintenance free.

Comment

The tomatoes are doing good and the peppers are kind of struggling along but might have turned the corner and appear to be improving...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                                The tomatoes are doing good and the peppers are kind of struggling along but might have turned the corner and appear to be improving...

How did you plant your plants? They appear to be in a container in the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X