Food plots / tractor implements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plots / tractor implements

First time tractor owner. My place is in se Oklahoma and my soil is rocky.

What attachments should I be using to clear the rocks out and turn the soil over?
    Plow, disk, tiller , box blade etc?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

If the rocks are very big, you’ll have to deal with them first. They make rockpickers, seen them used in ND on pipelines, but I have no idea about the cost. The alternative is to pick them up by hand unless you want to lose your topsoil. Someone else may know a better way.

A plow is probably gonna find more rocks. I think in rocky soil I would pick up the big ones, do minimum till and try to plant crops that build topsoil. Follow Dr. Grant Woods on YouTube for some good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      If the rocks are very big, you’ll have to deal with them first. They make rockpickers, seen them used in ND on pipelines, but I have no idea about the cost. The alternative is to pick them up by hand unless you want to lose your topsoil. Someone else may know a better way.

A plow is probably gonna find more rocks. I think in rocky soil I would pick up the big ones, do minimum till and try to plant crops that build topsoil. Follow Dr. Grant Woods on YouTube for some good advice.
      Thank you. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I will get the big ones that can be seen up but more concerned with what's beneath that I don't. Don't wanna tear up any equipment . Was thinking of running a single bottom plow through it and see if anything gets brought up.

What can I plant that creates a good top soil?

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
        Thank you. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I will get the big ones that can be seen up but more concerned with what's beneath that I don't. Don't wanna tear up any equipment . Was thinking of running a single bottom plow through it and see if anything gets brought up.

What can I plant that creates a good top soil?

Heavy planting of buckwheat and sunflowers in spring. Rye, wheat, oats in fall will build the soil. I have no firsthand experience with large rock

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

^^This.

Pick up the big ones that you can see. Don't worry about the ones you can't. Plant buckwheat and sunflower in spring, plant wheat, rye, oats, etc. in the fall. Do no till if you can. I wouldn't break the ground if I was you. Grant Woods with Growing Deer on youtube talks a lot about this. He has some special blends he helped with at Eagle Seed. May look at those blends for planting.

Comment

First, get a soil test to see where you stand and then treat according to the results. Your local OSU extension office will do it for $10 a sample.

Second, forget the disc! Go with a Chisel Plow also referred to as a cultivator. The rocks up here will chew a disc to pieces unless you have any improved fields.

Third, the best way to plant is with a seed drill for soil health, but it is expensive for those starting out.

Keep us posted!
            Last edited by Darton; 07-16-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Heavy planting of buckwheat and sunflowers in spring. Rye, wheat, oats in fall will build the soil. I have no firsthand experience with large rock
              This ^^^

And just broadcast into standing vegetation then mow (spend the money on the flail). Dont mess with rocks and turning soil. You kill the soil everytime you turn it. Discing is evil

*mow high on account of rocks*

Good luck

Comment

Pick up those rocks by hand if you can. Or use a rock rake. Plow can get some up out of the ground as well then pick up by hand. Once cleared, i like to use a disc to turn over the ground or a plow.

Comment

this area was cleared from small trees 1-2" so my thought was i needed to break up the root system. i will do my own soil test but already know the soil profile pretty well.

after initial prep i dont plan to turn it over anymore. just want to clean it up and set it up for best success as the years go on. im going to widen the area a bit also which still has standing brush/small trees.

Comment

I would rent a dozer and use the rippers to get the large rocks out. Once you do that, alot depends on what type of soil is underneath. Our area is hard black clay. I have to use a heavy 3k pull type offset disc to get any kind of tillage. With a heavy duty offset disc, you can use them for primary tillage. What that means is I don't have to use a chisel plow, than come behind it with a disc. I just set my plow as aggressive as it goes and make a couple passes, than I can adjust and make some light passes as a normal disc would. If your area is rocky, this might be something to consider. Mine's 8' wide and I pull it with a 95hp Kubota.
                    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 07-16-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                      I would rent a dozer and use the rippers to get the large rocks out. Once you do that, alot depends on what type of soil is underneath. Our area is hard black clay. I have to use a heavy 3k pull type offset disc to get any kind of tillage. With a heavy duty offset disc, you can use them for primary tillage. What that means is I don't have to use a chisel plow, than come behind it with a disc. I just set my plow as aggressive as it goes and make a couple passes, than I can adjust and make some light passes as a normal disc would. If your area is rocky, this might be something to consider. Mine's 8' wide and I pull it with a 95hp Kubota.
                      its only about 1-1.25 acres in total. about 1/3 of it is already nice and clean so its just the rest. dont want to rent another machine for such a small area. surface/exposed rock wont take too long to clear up.

i may just try and scrape off the top layer. did that when clearing a road next to it and the grass came up super thick and can find worms a couple inches into it anywhere you stick a shovel. it goes from sandy to loamy to clay then gravel is about 12" into it.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                        this area was cleared from small trees 1-2" so my thought was i needed to break up the root system. i will do my own soil test but already know the soil profile pretty well.

after initial prep i dont plan to turn it over anymore. just want to clean it up and set it up for best success as the years go on. im going to widen the area a bit also which still has standing brush/small trees.
                        Conventional wisdom says to do just this, but, by plowing even once you set yourself way back. You'll encourage all manner of unwanted vegetation and be fighting to give your preferred plants a chance. Dont plow

Comment

Working...
                        X