• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is from earlier this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
      Great looking harvest! Have you had any issues with pickle worms? We are having a tough time with them. Can’t seem to get rid of them. Anyone have an idea how to shake these little bastages?
      Any type of caterpillar or worm I use BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) spray. It's an organic insecticide and was VERY effective this year on caterpillars eating my tomatoes. You can find at Home Depot or Lowes and Amazon. Use weekly. I also use Neem oil every week as well to control aphids and other leaf eating bugs.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
        Any type of caterpillar or worm I use BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) spray. It's an organic insecticide and was VERY effective this year on caterpillars eating my tomatoes. You can find at Home Depot or Lowes and Amazon. Use weekly. I also use Neem oil every week as well to control aphids and other leaf eating bugs.
        I’ve got bugs on my eggplants only. Have hit it a couple of times with Neem oil to no avail.

Comment

Been pulling zuchinni and yellow squash off for a month. The last couple of weeks hot peppers, okra, and cucumbers have started putting on. Ive got 30 tomato plants that are starting to fruit and we are looking at 10 plus days of 100+.
          In the spare garage i started a hydroponic system. Ive got 2 tomato plants, 2 different types of cucumbers, cerano, banana peppers, chocate mint, and started a lot of herbs in the last couple of weeks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            I’ve got bugs on my eggplants only. Have hit it a couple of times with Neem oil to no avail.
            To be effective, you have to use cold pressed neem oil. Cold pressed neem oil has the highest azirdiractan content. (The effective ingredient that kills the bugs).That neem oil extract you find at big box stores is ****. I use the product below and find it on Amazon. Use 1 oz per gal with a small squirt of dish doap. Be sure to spray under the leaves as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok thanks! Will check it out. We spray neem oil regularly as well it doesn’t seem to do anything to the worms. They have gotten a lot more of the pickling cucumbers than we have so far

Comment

For the folks that are using the hydroponic system, here are the best prices I have found for Masterblend 4-18-38 (25 lbs. $37 plus shipping) and Calcium Nitrate 15-0 (20 lbs $24 plus shipping)

1, 5, 25 lb bags Guaranteed analysis: Total Nitrogen   4.00% Available Phosphoric Acid  18.00% Soluble Potash   38.00% Magnesium   .50% Boron  .20% Copper  .10% Iron  .40% Manganese  .20% Molybdenum  .01% Zinc  .10% Due to new requirements, we are no longer able to ship Masterblend outside the USA.

Comment

Working on the compost pile today. **** it's hot out there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m gardened out. She’s canned out. This weekend will be our last canning session. 2 days a week of canning pickles, salsa, salsa verde, relish, has worn us out. Cantaloupes are coming on strong now, and as soon as I see an end, the e-fence is coming down, and I’m letting the Democrats in.

Comment

Mrs is still bringing stuff out of the garden

Zucchini, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, beans, eggplant, and now the watermelon and cantaloupe are starting to ripen.

Mrs has been learning to can, and has put up a bunch of pickles and relish.

We’ve also put a bunch of other veggies in vacuum seal bags and tossed them in the freezer for us to enjoy. They grow faster than we can eat them, and we’ve still shared quite a bit with family and friends.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                        This is from earlier this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Nice! I grew calbaza squash this year to. But have lost the war against the Squash bugs. I tried everything. When I went out there last saterday and sprayed the squash with water to get the bugs to come up for easy pickings.....hundreds upon hundreds of squash bugs came running up this time. It was like a site from a pre-90's scary movie. I have accepted defeat and will probably not be doing squash anymore. They drank the neem oil like a fine wine and loved to come out and roll around in the 7dust mid day. Those bugs are unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                          I’m gardened out. She’s canned out. This weekend will be our last canning session. 2 days a week of canning pickles, salsa, salsa verde, relish, has worn us out. Cantaloupes are coming on strong now, and as soon as I see an end, the e-fence is coming down, and I’m letting the Democrats in.
                          We don't have any more room left for canning or freezing. Garden is steadily spitting out okra, tomatoes, purple hulled peas, and peppers. We have been giving it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            We don't have any more room left for canning or freezing. Garden is steadily spitting out okra, tomatoes, purple hulled peas, and peppers. We have been giving it away.
                            We always give more away than we can eat or put up, at least till friends and neighbors start avoiding us.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              We always give more away than we can eat or put up, at least till friends and neighbors start avoiding us.
                              Same here...this year it was with the tomatoes and cacuzza. And we still couldn't give all we had away and some ended up in the compost pile. Kinda puts some things into perspective that we live so well here in the U.S. that to some people someone offering free food can become an annoyance.

Comment

They will eventually produce again. Ours did the same thing last year, when the heat really got going around mid June. Around mid july they were back up and producing like crazy. This year we have had more consistent harvests, but we planted in 2 separate beds.
                                You were right! Glad I didn't chop them all down. Walked out the other day and noticed they started up again! Got 5-6 ready to pick already!

Comment

Working...
                                X