Originally posted by M16 View Post
    Correct. Anything bigger is def.
    I’m guessing the 75 has dpf?

Comment

Originally posted by Trkhunter View Post
      I’m guessing the 75 has dpf?
      No def in the 75.

Comment

I did a lot of research when I bought mine. I narrowed it down between Cat and Kubota. I bought the Cat 289d3. It’s an awesome machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
          Even the new SVL75's are no def?
          75 and down don’t take DEF. 95 does.

Comment

If you’re going to drop it at your land and never haul it then size won’t be too much of an issue. If you plan to haul it around keep the weight and physical size in mind. These things get heavy fast.

Comment

Here is another vote for the 75 hp machine. Got a hi-flo with the hydrostat steering (NH 228). I think it would depend on the variance in the implements and attachments you get, as to size, but the cab n air are worth it...in TX....in July - June. Higher flow does let you get into the pinchers and all that. Been huge to have it for drilling post holes, danuser tpost driver/pipe driver, cement mixer, etc.

Same sentiment on the machine hours. Depends on it's upkeep and maintenance. As far as tracks vs tires, I have only ever had tires, and depending on the rocks in your area, you'll get flats, but it's not prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                We bought a 5000 hour tracked CAT last summer for about $15k. The thought was we wouldn’t get hurt too bad. It’s pretty worn, but works well on our property.
                Before that I was looking at Bobcat 650, which started around $45k used.
                Our old car hauler was a little light, so we ended up needing a heavier trailer, chains and load binders. I wouldn’t tow it with anything less than 3/4 ton as well.
                We bought forks and a tree spoon which is super handy for tearing out trees and moving rocks.
                There’s no end to what you can do with them and you can kiss a sore back goodbye.
                Ours came from an excavator we knew. Some concrete companies and construction companies have nice low hour machines that get upgraded for new features or tracks in favor of wheel etc. They just use them a few hours per week, not all day.
                farmers and landscapers seemed to have the most worn out stuff.
                The bobcat/ kubota dealers around here were very straightforward and had the best selection of used. We were close to buying from them when a friend contacted us to let us know they were selling.

You think farmers and landscapers have wore out stuff, look at one that has lived at a rock quary. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I used to sell a lot of used Bobcats from 2011-2017 while in the rental industry. I would say tracks 90% of the time, unless you are on pavement. Spend the $$ on tracks. Do not buy the eco friendly tracks, they used to be green, not sure about that nowadays.

I would say look at some of the rental yards for used units. I had a saying about those units, "cosmetically it may look like a 6-7 but mechanically it will be a 9." That was true most all the time, aside from units that were just flat abused and I knew which ones those were ahead of time. Some companies decided to run their machines into the ground but the bigger outfits that service the plants/industry keep their machines up pretty well due to liability.

A cab is mandatory in my book with a shredder/mulcher, it can be really dangerous without one.
                  Very true when it comes to buying from a rental company.They are solid.Look like hell,but always work perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn’t even think of mulching without an enclosed cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                      We bought a 5000 hour tracked CAT last summer for about $15k. The thought was we wouldn’t get hurt too bad. It’s pretty worn, but works well on our property.
                      Before that I was looking at Bobcat 650, which started around $45k used.
                      Our old car hauler was a little light, so we ended up needing a heavier trailer, chains and load binders. I wouldn’t tow it with anything less than 3/4 ton as well.
                      We bought forks and a tree spoon which is super handy for tearing out trees and moving rocks.
                      There’s no end to what you can do with them and you can kiss a sore back goodbye.
                      Ours came from an excavator we knew. Some concrete companies and construction companies have nice low hour machines that get upgraded for new features or tracks in favor of wheel etc. They just use them a few hours per week, not all day.
                      farmers and landscapers seemed to have the most worn out stuff.
                      The bobcat/ kubota dealers around here were very straightforward and had the best selection of used. We were close to buying from them when a friend contacted us to let us know they were selling.
                      Wow! You stole that thing IMO. 😳😳
                      I rented a Kubota SVL 75 a couple of weeks ago and it was a beast. I priced them (both new and used) and I’d personally be scared to death of owning one and the maintenance required. Unless you found a deal like above you can rent one and get a whole lot accomplished in a short period of time vs owning. Again, just my opinion.

Comment

I’m partial to the svl 95 I have....

The extra weight makes pushing things really effortless.

I’ve run bobcats that were throttled up the whole time - I run mine just about a scratch under half throttle for most things I do. It’s like it barely is putting out any effort, but the work is getting done.

Comment

Anyone run these for a living. I know you can rent them but it’s would be nice to not have to worry about having to pick it up and haul it every time

Comment

Originally posted by Trkhunter View Post
                            Anyone run these for a living. I know you can rent them but it’s would be nice to not have to worry about having to pick it up and haul it every time
                            Yes we have several that run all day every day except sundays. Lol.
                            .if i had my choice without a doubt it would be a cat. We have all 289ds and they are workhorses. We put them through hell and yes we have to fix some things here and there but its part of it. Like others have said you can find or that has high hours but just pushed dirt the entire time. Or you can get some that have pushed brush cleared trees stumps ect and have beat beat to death.

Comment

Skid steer thread

I work for an equipment dealership and I sell these things for a living. I’ll echo what everyone else has said. Tracks will be best for land clearing because you’ll have better stability and less ground pressure. This means you’ll be able to lift/push in softer ground plus being more stable helps to increase breakout force at the bucket. With that said, you can roast a set of tracks in rocky ground really quick. Just need to be conscious of what type of terrain you’re working in.

I’d look into one of the large frame 74 HP machines. They’re workhorses and you won’t have to worry about using DEF fluid or re-gen issues from a DPF. Plus you can get them with hi-flow hydraulics if you ever wanted to run one of the smaller mulchers. Most will have some form of maintenance free emissions (diesel oxidation catalyst, or particulate matter catalyst) so all you need to do is add diesel and run the heck out of it. I’d be cautious about machines that use a Diesel Particulate Filter in a 74 HP machine though. You may end up with some unwanted headaches.

As far as used goes, it really depends on who owned it, what type of work it did, and how it was maintained. As someone mentioned, rental fleets are good places to look. Cosmetically they may be scratched and banged up but most of the time they’re mechanically sound. Also look for machines that are being sold by the owner/operator. Generally if the guy has bought the tractor himself and runs it for a living, he’s more likely to take care of it. Fleet machines from bigger contractors can be 50/50 depending on how well their service dept handles maintenance. You’re not likely to find one for sale coming out of a quarry because they generally run tire machines, but if you do I would run the other way! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by J-Mac; 06-25-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, and definitely get an enclosed cab with a/c. Not only makes running it much more enjoyable but you’ll be glad you’ve got that barrier between you and some angry bees if you ever run into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X