Serious, perhaps odd question for experienced Elk hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious, perhaps odd question for experienced Elk hunters

I bow hunted elk last year on a small private property in Colorado last year.
    It has a bowl shaped alfalfa field with hills all around. The elk travel in and out at different locations so it is a chess game trying to guess the right ambush spot. There is a high line (single poles) that runs through the field. Based on observations last year, there is one pole that seems to be usually in the path of elk moving in and out of the field regardless of which way they came from. Finally my question..... If I put a 15 foot ladder stand on that pole and brush it in below, around and above me.... would this work, or would it be "hey, look at the dumbazz on the pole". I understand the playing the wind part. Just wonder if anyone has any experience with elk noticing new elevated things. Quality replies and smartazz replies welcome!

wont say either.

You might also consider brushing in a pop up near the pole with consideration of the prevailing wind. then set up a Montana decoy just out from the edge.

Comment

I’d go with some kind of blind on the ground, I think that’s the only option for hunting that spot.

Comment

Brush it in good enough it will work; ground blind will also

Comment

BRush it in now is the key

Which ever

I would brush in two spots

Comment

A stand would work, except that I think I've read somewhere that telephone poles are dangerous to use with a stand. I'd personally suggest a pit blind instead. It also will keep your scent pooled better.

Comment

I’d be there at dusk to see where they’re coming in, and set up at 4am to catch them going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ground blind and ozonics by the pole. Get the owner to set it up in advance and let them get accustomed to it.

Comment

Hay bail blind maybe

Comment

Least amount of disturbances is preferable. I would stay away from a tree stand on the pole, too exposed. Better to just stay on the ground against the base of the pole. You say it is alfalfa, so it must be irrigated. How? If it has a pivot, simply put a pop-up by the center, or one of the wheels. If it is watered by ditches, lower your profile by getting into ditch and using a minimum of brush for a screen. If they come in after it is baled, just stack up 6 bales in a triangle, two bales high, and leave the corners open about a foot wide to shoot thru. Then you can even have a cooler and stool in there with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                      Least amount of disturbances is preferable. I would stay away from a tree stand on the pole, too exposed. Better to just stay on the ground against the base of the pole. You say it is alfalfa, so it must be irrigated. How? If it has a pivot, simply put a pop-up by the center, or one of the wheels. If it is watered by ditches, lower your profile by getting into ditch and using a minimum of brush for a screen. If they come in after it is baled, just stack up 6 bales in a triangle, two bales high, and leave the corners open about a foot wide to shoot thru. Then you can even have a cooler and stool in there with you.

This idea seems genius

Comment

It is dangerous to put a tree stand on a power pole. I had an area in west Texas with lots of deer with no cover but a power line going through it. I researched the idea of putting a tree stand on a power pole and found that it was not safe.

Comment

Sounds ideal for a hay bale blind.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great info and advice. Some will apply to my situation. There is a nearby ditch that I could possibly find or make a flat spot and get the windows just above field level. Would also be less hassle, and concealed.

Comment

Set up a ghost blind at the base of the pole. Elk are nomadic creatures. They key on movement much more than “different”. Anything to hide your movement will be money. A ghost blind minimizes the “different”.

Comment

Working...
                              X