Need someone with septic tank knowledge/experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need someone with septic tank knowledge/experience

Last Friday, at the wife's urging, I had our septic system pumped. I had to have a new septic system put in when I bought my house close to 25 years ago and have never had it pumped. I have never had a sense of smell but the wife said it was starting to get intense. Anyway, I got invoiced for pumping out 1000 gallons and was told that the lid on one of my tanks was cracked and needs to be replaced (I have two tanks). So yesterday I go and pick a new lid up and the company that pumped my tanks and take it home. Unloaded it at the house with my tractor and when I went to remove the old, cracked one about 1/3 to 1/2 of the old lid fell down into the tank. That didn't bother me as much as the fact that my tank is full. The second tank had a chip out of the concrete plug on the lid so I stuck my fingers thru it to try to remove it so I can check it out. Couldn't get it out so I use a flashlight to shine down in it so I can see what I can see. Turns out the second tank level seems to be within about six inches from the top. So that begs the question....How can they pump out 1000 gallons and five days later both tanks are full? I checked my water meter and with nothing on the meter doesn't move so I don't believe there is water leaking into the tanks. Does anyone have a plausible explanation for this before I confront the company that pumped out my tanks?

The sludge is what they pump out, the tank should still have liquid in it. just my two cents not an expert. I think they back fill it with water after they pump it out.
    Last edited by kruppa24; 05-27-2020, 09:36 AM.

Comment

If you are in the water table and water runs through your place you might have a broken leach line and water is flowing into your septic filling it up. This happened to me. I found the broken line and replaced it.

Comment

yeah im almost positive they filled mine back up with water once they pumped mine.

Comment

What is the purpose of putting water back in it? To keep the microbes alive?

Comment

Tanks could potentially "float" up if emptied completely. I believe the idea of pumping is only to pump out the solids.

Comment

Depending on your water use, it would not be unusual to fill 1,000 gallons back up in 5 days. When we design septic systems, the standard design flow is 150 gallons per person per day. (or 300-400 gallons per day for a typical 2 bedroom house)
              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                What is the purpose of putting water back in it? To keep the microbes alive?
                They don't put water back in.
                Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
                  They don't put water back in.
                  They did on mine, they said an empty tank could potentially float up.
                  but I couldn't actually tell you if it was necessary.

Comment

The tanks will pop out of the ground if not filled with water after pumping. The reason they pump them out is for the solid accumulation.
                    On my aerobic system, I add a bag of the natural bugs that will break down the solids. I have seen them at Tractor Supply, but I have another source.

Comment

1,000 gallons? Sounds like you’re full of sh** to me. ((snicker, snicker))

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post
                        Tanks could potentially "float" up if emptied completely. I believe the idea of pumping is only to pump out the solids.
                        Lord I hope mine doesn’t pop out, it’s 1700 gallon, 4 inch thick reinforced concrete, septic guy came and pumped it and was in awe of the “ old “ construction quality “ said the system will outlast many people’s lifetimes with proper microbes added

Comment

OK, Devin's response would add up and I understand about putting water in to keep it from migrating up to the surface. When they put mine in I believe they knocked a whole in the bottom of each tank to keep that from happening. Thanks for all the responses. My wife rolls her eyes at me when I say "I asked about this on TBH because there are lots of folks that know lots of things". Right now both lids are exposed to the surface. Should I go ahead and cover them both up?

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                            They did on mine, they said an empty tank could potentially float up.
                            but I couldn't actually tell you if it was necessary.
                            Same here. They actually had me add water. I have seen an empty in-ground swimming pool rise up 18". Floated up like a boat.

Comment

The guys that pump mine fill them 1/2 way or so before they roll out.

Comment

Working...
                              X