Job interview mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job interview mistake

I had a recent job that I realize I made a mistake in and need some ideas how I might handle it.

I am a masonry estimator, 40+ years masonry experience with 12 years estimating experience. All of my estimating has been done old school, ie paper plans and scale. The company I interviewed with is using a computer software program. We spent so time discussing how my time in the field and using plans could help see and understand what was taking place, The last estimator was strictly a computer person who had no field experience.

After I left and over the next few days I got to thinking about what I should have done different.

Over the last 3 years I have been leading the music at my church. In doing that I have taught myself to do power point presentations for the worship service. I have also used 3 other trial versions of presentation software which i also learned on my own. I feel like this wold show that I am quite capable of learning their program.

Is there any acceptable way of getting this info to them or did I shoot myself in the foot in that interview.

You can include this info in a "thank you for the interview" email you send to the interviewer.

Good luck

Comment

I think the ole first impression rule applies here. If you get a return interview you can then mention that fact. I would think as long as you didn't say you couldn't do it, you should be fine. You could type up a new resume and add that to your skills, then drop a copy off. I recently filled out an online interview, somehow I didn't click the completed high school box. Live and learn I guess. Good luck.

Comment

If you are the right person, they would be happy to teach you any software needed. If you are on the border of in or out and you start pinging them with updates you may come across as needed and desperate. If they "want" the candidate to possess that skill already even being a quick learner wouldn't sway them. Good luck...

Comment

People with computer skills are readily available, knowledge and experience usually aren't. I don't think it hurts to make sure they know that you have some computer knowledge and are willing to learn. I also suggest some basic computer classes.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
            People with computer skills are readily available, knowledge and experience usually aren't. I don't think it hurts to make sure they know that you have some computer knowledge and are willing to learn. I also suggest some basic computer classes.
            Amen. We have young guys that can ace a spreadsheet or powerpoint but let the train jump the tracks or the mustard hit the fan, & they're looking for the old fart (me). But like said above, basic computer skills are necessary.

Comment

I have experience in interviewing and hiring candidates and my own personal opinion is you could do more harm than good in trying to get this information to them now. If this was critical to them they figured out ways to find out if you have the skill or are able to learn new skills by the questions they asked. You probably revealed it in indirect ways you didn't realize during your conversation about your experience.... How you got into your trade, changes in the industry and how you adapted to them, etc. good luck!

Comment

I have only told this to a few folks, now I'm telling it to the WWW. Back in 1999, I was interviewed after testing with SWBT/SBC. The woman that conducted the interview was a nice looking black woman, carried herself very well, prim and proper.

Midway through the interview she belched, I'm not talking a little "excuse me", it would make any of us proud- knock the paint off the walls. If I could see the red in her face, I'd bet it would have been Razorback red.

I was hired!
                Last edited by Razorback01; 02-15-2016, 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
                  I have experience in interviewing and hiring candidates and my own personal opinion is you could do more harm than good in trying to get this information to them now. If this was critical to them they figured out ways to find out if you have the skill or are able to learn new skills by the questions they asked. You probably revealed it in indirect ways you didn't realize during your conversation about your experience.... How you got into your trade, changes in the industry and how you adapted to them, etc. good luck!

This may depend on the skill and experience of the interviewer, not all of us are as trained and skilled in carefully crafting questions and properly analyzing the responses.

Comment

Not really a skill interviewer. He was the owner of the company, fairly intelligent. Could have had college degree. Or maybe not. Down to earth guy. Actually left feeling like I would be getting a call to meet his business partner. That was 10 days ago I am just anxious.

Comment

Like someone else said, get you background with computers in your thank you later. You should be able to get examples off of the internet to see what we're talking about.

I don't think you shot yourself in the foot. You said you left feeling like you would get a call back.

My guess is this guy is busy and hasn't had a chance to follow up.

Sending the letter may be the very thing to get you back on his radar and have him pull the trigger with an offer.

Comment

Working...
                      X