Who's up for a wolf hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's up for a wolf hunt?

Idaho lawmakers have approved a bill authorizing the state to kill up to 90% of its wolf population, a measure championed by farmers and cattle ranchers that will become law if signed by the governor in the coming days. Governor Brad Little has not indicated whether or not he supports the legislation and a spokeswoman said the office did not comment on bills awaiting his signature. The Idaho House of Representatives this week voted 58-11 to approve the fast-tracked legislation, which passed the state senate last week with backing from the agricultural sector, who say the wolves are killing or scaring off sheep, cattle and other farm animals.

If it passes, they're going to bring in trappers and PH to cut the number down.

It's a sticky situation. Some are for it because mule deer and elk numbers should increase, but some hunters are upset because that will eliminate the current wolf season except for a few lucky draw tags.

Currently wolf hunters are removing enough animals to control the population.

*This is according to an article I read.

Comment

They are predators in parts of Wyoming, no licenses needed to shoot on sight.
      Hoping Colorado's introduced wolves cross the state line, Wyoming hunters will be waiting on them. They will have no protection once they hit Wyoming.

Comment

I'm not anti-wolf. The studies I've read and followed I believe they fill a critical role for an overall healthy ecosystem. I'm not anti-wolf hunting either. But, this is bad legislation. It's not backed by science and by doing it this way, they're essentially stripping the responsibility of management from Idaho Fish and Game. They're on record strongly opposing the legislation too.

Comment

Still only available to hunt on private land, or can we shoot em when were elk hunting on public?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Still only available to hunt on private land, or can we shoot em when were elk hunting on public?
            You can shoot them when elk hunting (public or private) and I've heard of one guy who has them come in to his cow elk calls. He usually shoots one and the pack leaves. The tags are cheap. If this goes down, it'll be a lot harder to bag one in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
              You can shoot them when elk hunting (public or private) and I've heard of one guy who has them come in to his cow elk calls. He usually shoots one and the pack leaves. The tags are cheap. If this goes down, it'll be a lot harder to bag one in the future.
              Nice, it hasn't been that way in the past.
              I have family up in Sandpoint, and some good access to the Kaniksu.
              Might have to skip Co, and Ut next year.

Comment

Working...
              X