How do i treat termites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i treat termites

I know we have some pest control guys on here. Im broke right now so im going to try to treat them myself they seem to only be in one place in my sons room in the corner they came half way up the wall and came out with a dirt mound. A freind mentioned termador. what is this and how do you use it?

From what I know (which is what i researched when I went thru this), termador is a liquid chemical that Terminix and a few others use. Dig a six inch trench, (just use a garden trowel or a longer spade and pull the dirt back) around the foundation of the house. There's mixing concentrations that should be available somewhere. Mix it up, pour in the trench all the way around. It apparently crystalizes when it dries, and that's how it repels the termites.

Comment

you realy cant call pest control

Comment

Thanks tex n i heading down to buy a case of termador $250 wow not cheap.

Comment

I treat them rudely by killing them!

Comment

Termador is probably the best and quickest acting, although your will not be able to apply that yourself. Only professional applicators are allowed to use it. It may also be one of the most cost effective, and certainly the longest lasting. Some pest companies may try to talk you into signing a contact where they use bait stations and monitor the activity. If Termado is applied right, you can trust it will do the job and can forget it for several years. It is guaranteed for 5 years I think, but according to some of the research may be effective for much longer.

Self-treating is more risky -- you have to make sure you kill the colony or colonies (i.e., queens) and not just the workers.

Comment

Originally posted by MATT1350 View Post
              Thanks tex n i heading down to buy a case of termador $250 wow not cheap.
              If you can buy applicator-grade Termador over the counter now, please let me know. I didn't realize they changed the regs. Fipronil, the active ingredient in Termador is available in several other products, but the level present in Termador (required for effective control) is much greater than in most other products.

Comment

If they are swarming in your house then you have a mature colony.

Comment

Permethrin will kill them. I use it for fleas but the poison is made to kill termites.

Comment

I dont know that much about it, but doesn't Permethrin work by being a repellent or barrior -- although it will kill individuals that it comes into contact with. To kill the colony, you have to get something down to the nest. Permethrin can help control the damage to a structure, but you have to be sure and cover every inch of the perimeter. One small gap and the termites can return.

Comment

Just because they swarm inside does not mean you have a mature colony. The cheapest way to stop them from destroying your house is to put a repellent around your home. To kill the colony takes time to bait and monitor. What king of foundation do you have? Does your son’s room have a wall that is on the outside wall? That is most likely their path inside the home.

Comment

I would burn down the house and start over

Comment

Just curious how deep do the colonies live underground?

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                            I dont know that much about it, but doesn't Permethrin work by being a repellent or barrior -- although it will kill individuals that it comes into contact with. To kill the colony, you have to get something down to the nest. Permethrin can help control the damage to a structure, but you have to be sure and cover every inch of the perimeter. One small gap and the termites can return.
                            You are probably correct. I mainly used mine for fleas but I did get a porch and set of steps for my camp from an old trailer house. When I pulled the porch off I saw a few termites. I soaked the entire thing with permethrin and let it sit for a week. When I came back all of them were gone. I am not talking about an entire colony though.

Comment

In SJ we have 2 types, subterranean (live deep under the house and come up) and dry wood (enter through some wood under and eve and then eat their way through the wood). They are treated differently. I had them drill around my foundation to get deep enough to apply the chemical for subterraneans and then I removed the wood fascia and found they had not progressed so I sprayed the heck out of it was a termite chemical from Home Depot and then replaced the fascia wood.

In TX I have not an idea, but that's what I know about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X