No announcement yet.

Making fishing lures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll get a picture of it later but this ones a flop. Basswood is to buoyant, I can't put enough lead in it to sink. I'll call it a top water haha.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      I'll get a picture of it later but this ones a flop. Basswood is to buoyant, I can't put enough lead in it to sink. I'll call it a top water haha.

That's it! It's a Top Water Flop! Great name sir! Most fish flop right? Cast it out, twitch it a bit, and if it don't get bit, reel it in a bit, let it sit, and twitch it again!

Just like a baitfish that sits on the top of the water flop-n.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-02-2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

That's the plan. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

I bet I could catch something with it. And I ain't bass fished in years! (since I turned to stripers)

Drill a small hole through the nose and above the lip, and out the belly just in front of the joint. Run a small metal tube through it. Run a lite wire through the tube and tie on a treble. And attach a swivel to the nose end of the wire. No matter which side it lands on, it will always be the right side. The treble will make the belly slightly heavier. So when you twitch it, it will want to stand upright just like a baitfish, only to fall over. Thus, the flop. Now, what colors you gonna do it with?

Comment

If somebody handed me a Sink-o 40 years ago, I would-a thought it'd never work. And I ws a worm feller.

Comment

It sits in the water fine, I have plenty of lead in the bottom just not enough to make it sink slowly. I was trying to make a slow sinking glide bait. I should have used poplar, it's more dense. It swim great on top, it'll catch em. Probably going with a shad pattern on the bait. The Reds don't know it's not what I was trying to do. Lol

Comment

Have any of you guys considered 3D printing lure molds? I found quite a few models people have shared on another site.

Comment

I've not tried any 3D molds. I'm told they don't stand up to the heat of plastisol for very long. Also the finish of the lure is somewhat dull compared to what other mold material produces. I have a neighbor that is going to print something for me to try out. If it works it gives you a lot of possibilities.

Comment

Man these are awesome. A buddy of mine is just getting started making his own lures.

Comment

I'm no expert but if he needs any advice let me know. Catching em on something you make is just cool

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                        I know there's a few other bait makers out there, please feel free to post some of your stuff. I'd love to see em.
                        So wish I was allowed to
                        You stuff looks awesome Kevin!

Comment

Tore up a few ribbon tails this evening.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kevin nicholls; 05-13-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

They look good now.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some Fire Tiger. 4", 5" and 6".
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nice work on the Fire Tiger!

Comment

Working...
                                X