I need a few training birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a few training birds

I’m in need of a few ducks for training purposes with my lab. Ducks, pigeons, pheasant, dove, quail, chukar. Whatever you got. If anyone has any or knows where to get em please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's someone raising orphan ducks on here

Comment

What area? I know someone who had quail as of a few weeks ago in Montgomery. There are a few blues running around the construction zone next to my hotel on the W side of Midland right now. Bring a big net.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
        What area? I know someone who had quail as of a few weeks ago in Montgomery. There are a few blues running around the construction zone next to my hotel on the W side of Midland right now. Bring a big net.

Central Texas. I think for now we will stick to legally killed or raised birds [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
          Central Texas. I think for now we will stick to legally killed or raised birds [emoji6]

There isn't a net big enough or human fast enough for these birds to worry.

Try Jimmy @ nine three six-524-1153 if Montgomery isn't too far.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
            There isn't a net big enough or human fast enough for these birds to worry.

Try Jimmy @ nine three six-524-1153 if Montgomery isn't too far.

Thank you

Comment

I've got grown cortunix quail in San Antonio. Cage raised and I have no idea how they will act for a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                I've got grown cortunix quail in San Antonio. Cage raised and I have no idea how they will act for a dog.

I’ve read that cortunix quail are not very good for dog training. Thanks for the offer. I’d take em to eat if you just need to get rid of them.

Comment

You might check with your local feed store and see if they know someone selling birds. Local classifieds might have some. Under highway overpasses at night is a guarantee for pigeons

Comment

Next best thing to whole birds are wings. I usually clip and save/freeze a few in separate bags each season, for training through the year while cleaning. My pup just turned 13 in Jan. So, I didn't bother with many this past season. Only got one goose wing and a teal wing to remind her of the scent. She still goes cross-eyed when she sniffs them.

Comment

I may have a couple of ducks in the freezer. Let me see what my son has planned for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Next best thing to whole birds are wings. I usually clip and save/freeze a few in separate bags each season, for training through the year while cleaning. My pup just turned 13 in Jan. So, I didn't bother with many this past season. Only got one goose wing and a teal wing to remind her of the scent. She still goes cross-eyed when she sniffs them.

I’ve got several wings in the freezer but they’re hard to throw [emoji6]

Comment

I've sown/tied wings on to bumpers with monofilament. Makes them easy to throw. Or use on a dummy launcher. They can be tied to most anything. A falling bumper with a wing attached gives pup a better visual on real life situations. Also gets pup used to carrying a bird back with a loose wing. I also use them on trailing exercises. And working "flushing" retrieves by planting them before taking pup to the fields.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I know a place in Columbus, TX for bobwhite quail. PM if interested.

Comment

My buddy got in trouble for trying to catch pigeons with his dip net in galveston near the cruise terminal for this very type of thing

Comment

Working...
                              X