Big Brown came tumbling down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brown came tumbling down

Right next to our place in Freestone County.

Residents in Freestone County may have heard what sounded like an earthquake.

I live in Montalba about an hour away and we felt the explosion at our house. It actually rattled it and we walked outside to see if we could see what it was. I could only imagine how loud the blast was right there. I hate to see it go, that was the best place to go shoot tilapia on Fairfield lake.

Comment

Man that is sad for sure. Spent a lot of good times at that lake

Comment

Wow, what a mess.

All the years of blood sweat and tears keeping that place going... now a pile of scrap.

Comment

So next winter I wonder how ERCOT will replace the 1200 MW it once produced?

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
            So next winter I wonder how ERCOT will replace the 1200 MW it once produced?
            Next year, it’s been shutdown for a couple of years.
            It would have been welcomed this last big freeze when Ercot nearly lost alll the power in Texas. The same for the plant at Montecello. I think they will implode it in the near future.

Comment

**** sad...used to spend a bunch of winter days bass fishing on Fairfield and Monticello

Comment

Yep I know a lot of guys that made a good career there in our local community. I remember driving to school through Gus Engeling & could see the stacks from that distance. Regulation has squeezed many folks out of a job especially for a smaller community setting

Comment

Pretty neat to see the stacks come down and leave the inner core of (ash buildup?) standing and then it slide down into the stacks

Comment

What happened last winter shows a miscalculation for a ball that was set in motion and wont be stopped.

RIP Fairfield pp.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                      What happened last winter shows a miscalculation for a ball that was set in motion and wont be stopped.

RIP Fairfield pp.

They miscalculated a once in a 100yr storm? Yeah ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                        They miscalculated a once in a 100yr storm? Yeah ok.

The miscalculation was reliance on BS alternate green sources as a baseline. Not winterizing the equipment the system had in place. Not investing in updating older power generating facilities, etc.

There are your miscalculations.

Comment

Wow!!! I did not know that was going to happen. Rumors were floating around a year or so ago that a company was going to buy it and fire it back up. Maybe as a gas burner or burn western coal.
                          Worked a many outages there and made a ton of money. If Texas doesn’t replace some of these shut down units, we’re going to feel it in the coming summers. We have a ton of natural gas. Why not use it!!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing the link. I made a lot of good money and met some good people out there over the few years I worked there.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                              The miscalculation was reliance on BS alternate green sources as a baseline. Not winterizing the equipment the system had in place. Not investing in updating older power generating facilities, etc.

There are your miscalculations.

I agree with all that. But to say that power management during a 100yr storm shows why this plant was shut down is asinine.

I know lots of people that worked at Big Brown. Used to go to FFA competitions out there in high school. I personally worked at the Jewett coal mine. My father has worked there over 25yrs and is one of the few still out there. Obviously I’m not anti-coal. What people fail to recognize is that these mines and plants were built with an expected life span(that most of them run well past) and at a certain point they lose too much money to keep them going. After you’ve been losing millions of dollars a year for while, you end up cutting your losses.

Comment

Working...
                              X