X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOG

Salt, Pepper, Onion and Garlic

Comment

I like most others make my own, Salt and Pepper.

However, I keep HEAD COUNTRY Brisket rub in stock as well. This is good stuff!

Comment

My recommendation - GRUB RUB!

Comment

Store bought brisket rub?

Save the onion, garlic, sugar and paprika for the beans and pork[emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            This, the gospel or grub rub

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Grub Rub is good on everything.

Comment

I'm A big Sucklebuster fan. I use Sucklebuster SPG (salt, pepper, garlic) and some suckle buster 1836.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Heavy Kosher salt and heavy coarse black pepper.....that and the smoke is all you need. The other additives are just fluff..
                Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                  Kosher salt, cracked pepper and coffee
                  This is my go-to also. Do about 3 parts salt, 3 parts pepper, and 1 part coffee grounds.

Comment

Honestly, just pick a rub with the flavor profile you enjoy. Everyone loves to say, "Only salt & pepper" these days because they heard Aaron Franklin say it, but there are plenty of good ways to do it. Onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne or paprika if you want some heat, etc. all are great in a brisket rub.

Plenty of store bought rubs are great. Salt Lick Original, as mentioned already, is very good, as I'm sure most of them are.

Your cooking execution is more important than the rub, in my opinion.

Comment

I haven't seen Texjoy at the store in awhile. I have used it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                        Honestly, just pick a rub with the flavor profile you enjoy. Everyone loves to say, "Only salt & pepper" these days because they heard Aaron Franklin say it, but there are plenty of good ways to do it. Onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne or paprika if you want some heat, etc. all are great in a brisket rub.

Plenty of store bought rubs are great. Salt Lick Original, as mentioned already, is very good, as I'm sure most of them are.

Your cooking execution is more important than the rub, in my opinion.
                        Incorrect. Texas has been salt and pepper only for brisket for decades. Ever herd of Lockhart and Taylor? Franklin didn't invent Central Texas style bbq.

I use stuff like you said though. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                          Incorrect. Texas has been salt and pepper only for brisket for decades. Ever herd of Lockhart and Taylor? Franklin didn't invent Central Texas style bbq.

Yup....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Yup....
                            You just started doing it last year cause Aaron Franklin said it you hipster. LOL.

Comment

You just started doing it last year cause Aaron Franklin said it you hipster. LOL.

Aaron Frankiln came to my house to show me how because I said I knew you..

There is no doubt I have have used other rubs but I keep going back to salt and pepper.....and pecan w/post oak....not Central Texas Wimberly Live Oak.

Comment

I use stuff like you said though. LOL.
                                "Texas" hasn't always been just salt & pepper. That's the Central Texas style of cooking it, and it's obviously gained nationwide notoriety, but there are plenty of places in Central Texas that don't follow it. One of my good friends is the pit master at a Central Texas joint that sells out almost every day, and he uses more than salt & pepper in his rub.

It's one way of doing it. It's not the only way and has never been. And no one ever cared until Franklin said it and suddenly you can't possibly cook a brisket with anything but salt & pepper.

AND IF YOU USE SAUCE, SO HELP ME GOD! No, but really, I like sauce too.

Comment

Working...
                                X