Trapping season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping season 2021-2022

Got another yote in a conabear trap. And shot one this morning. That is 32 since we bought the place in July last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mb650 set to about 4.5 lbs. All I can figure is he must have jumped on the pan with one toe.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
        Mb650 set to about 4.5 lbs. All I can figure is he must have jumped on the pan with one toe.

He had to really work at getting caught didn’t he lol !

Comment

Been reworking a lot of my equipment. Getting rid of all the #2 chain and going all mb hd #3 straight link or #3 twisted unless it’s for drags then #2 works. Went on vacation and sprang the 12 traps I had left out before I went. Ground turned to concrete while I was gone and I busted a good many #2 chained super stake anchors pulling them. I’ll be going back for them after the next good rain. On a good note my stake puller is a beast lol !

How is everyone storing their baits, lures and urines over the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
            Been reworking a lot of my equipment. Getting rid of all the #2 chain and going all mb hd #3 straight link or #3 twisted unless it’s for drags then #2 works. Went on vacation and sprang the 12 traps I had left out before I went. Ground turned to concrete while I was gone and I busted a good many #2 chained super stake anchors pulling them. I’ll be going back for them after the next good rain. On a good note my stake puller is a beast lol !

In an old refrigerator. It has a little skunky whang to it, now.

Comment

Sharkhunter some baits store better than others. Skunky scents seem to age well and actually mellow some, and can make them better. Some baits will almost have a old gas smell like varnish. Constant cool dark and dry, is the best storage. I try to load up on the bait/lure at the start of season and just buy what I need to finish up the year. Any bait that that’s left from the prior season that doesn’t smell or look like it should is discarded.

Comment

Didn't know bait could go "bad". Some of that stuff already smells worse than mid summer roadkill.

Comment

New to trapping and having some trouble with my k9 juniors.
                  My snaring game is on point, having caught 29 coyotes so far. Following advice on this thread and Youtube I purchased some No BS k9 juniors set up with drags. I’m getting a lot of activity around them but traps not getting sprung. It seems like the pan tension is around 4-4.5 lbs so what’s the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                    My snaring game is on point, having caught 29 coyotes so far. Following advice on this thread and Youtube I purchased some No BS k9 juniors set up with drags. I’m getting a lot of activity around them but traps not getting sprung. It seems like the pan tension is around 4-4.5 lbs so what’s the deal?
                    2 coil or 4 coil ? The manufacturer suggest bowstring wax on the dogless latch and block. Really lowers the pan tension. Have you actually measured the pan tension with a scale. My juniors were over 5#s when I got them. With wax I’m right a 3.5 to 4 lbs and that’s right where I want to be to avoid bycatch.
                    Last edited by sharkhunter; 06-24-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                      Sharkhunter some baits store better than others. Skunky scents seem to age well and actually mellow some, and can make them better. Some baits will almost have a old gas smell like varnish. Constant cool dark and dry, is the best storage. I try to load up on the bait/lure at the start of season and just buy what I need to finish up the year. Any bait that that’s left from the prior season that doesn’t smell or look like it should is discarded.
                      I have several unopened 16oz jars of bait and 2 gallons of urine and several bottles of lure I would hate to go bad. The owner of Hoosier trapping supply said that extended periods of time over 100deg can change how many lures and baits smell. Well here in Texas 100 plus deg is just another day so all went in a cooler and duct taped closed and I put them in my office closet lol !

On another note it looks like I might get to run a couple of days with Robert Waddell and pick his brain on his trap line in Kansas early next year if it all works out. Still in the planning stages.
                      Last edited by sharkhunter; 06-24-2022, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I have several 16oz jars of bait and 2 gallons of urine and several bottles of lure I would hate to go bad. The owner of Hoosier trapping supply said that extended periods of time over 100deg can change how many lures and baits smell. Well here in Texas 100 plus deg is just another day so all went in a cooler and duct taped closed and I put them in my office closet lol !

On another note it looks like I might get to run a couple of days with Robert Waddell and pick his brain on his trap line in Kansas early next year if it all works out. Still in the planning stages.
                        Shoot yea,,, hopefully it works out. Robert is a heckava trapper

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                          You don't want to go too much lower than that. A full commitment (full animal's weight on the pan) is what you want and what it takes to trip the trap. Higher pan tension keeps you from getting snapped traps and also from catching things like rabbits, which can be attracted to some lures.
                          Some people struggle until it finally clicks (me), and then folks like Sharkhunter, well, he just catches the crap out of them.

Comment

F&T has those K9 juniors on sale for the month of July.
                            One half-dozen for $10 off of their normal price.
                            https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tra...ed+Offset+Jaws)

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                              F&T has those K9 juniors on sale for the month of July.
                              One half-dozen for $10 off of their normal price.
                              https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tra...ed+Offset+Jaws)
                              They read my mind. Fixin to pull the trigger on 1dz.

Comment

So I couldn’t stand it anymore and had to get some steel in the ground lol !! It was hot as hell but I got in 10 sets this evening and plan on putting in 6 or 7 tomorrow evening. This is an area of our lease I couldn’t trap due to high water last winter. It’s bone bone dry now and I have work to do. The war wagon is loaded and ready. Three sets from the top. T-bone set, staked hide set and compass set.

My hit list
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by sharkhunter; 08-08-2022, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X