Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Gas Prices Affect Your 22/23 Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sucks.
    I’m worried we will lose hunters in numbers.
    I’ll be driving the wife’s car to our lease. It gets 40mpg which is more than twice what my truck gets.
    Will be cutting other expenses like restaurant eating, alcohol, cigars, and other luxuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Hopefully fuel prices keep some neighbors at home, and some feeders empty.

When I want to go, I go.
      Yep. Sometimes (most of the time) you gotta out feed your neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
        No, but that’s because I have to walk about 500 yards from the barn

Im at almost the exact same yardage to my first stand from the front door haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fear not! Joey may.... give us an $0.18/gal break for a day.....

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
            I've been looking for a decent deer lease for 2 years. There just aren't many out there, and the ones that are out there get scooped up very quickly. I don't see prices going down at all. I keep having the attitude that with gas prices and all that being so crazy that there would be leases coming available left and right. It has not been the case at all.

On a side note, there is no question that it has impacted the boat traffic at all my local boat ramps. Going to Sabine pass this time of year usually will have 20+ trucks in the parking lot. The most I've seen this year at one time was yesterday, and it was only like 8 trucks.
            I'm talking about next year. Gonna be some crazy crap with shortages all over the place and sky high cost to just survive.

Comment

I gave up my lease this year prior to the gas and corn price increases. I retired last yr and moved 5 hours from the lease instead of 3. Plus now I have to travel alone.

But I would be cutting my trips to fewer longer term trips if I was still leasing.
              And feed less corn per year.

I wonder how the economies of all those small towns who welcome hunters will be affected.

I also wonder about those of you that mention eating out less and how that will affect your wives. Mine always referred to purchases we made by “how many bags of corn it costs”.
              Can’t imagine telling her no more Alecia’s Mexican food and margaritas because I am saving for corn!

FJB and the people who put the words on his teleprompter.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                I gave up my lease this year prior to the gas and corn price increases. I retired last yr and moved 5 hours from the lease instead of 3. Plus now I have to travel alone.

But I would be cutting my trips to fewer longer term trips if I was still leasing.
                And feed less corn per year.

I wonder how the economies of all those small towns who welcome hunters will be affected.

I also wonder about those of you that mention eating out less and how that will affect your wives. Mine always referred to purchases we made by “how many bags of corn it costs”.
                Can’t imagine telling her no more Alecia’s Mexican food and margaritas because I am saving for corn!

FJB and the people who put the words on his teleprompter.
                Second that, my wife isn't going for me spending $6k in gas and she's not going to get her fair share either. Nor would I want it to be that way.

Another thing she isn't going for is longer trips. She's normally pretty good with 3 day trips, after that she starts to get a little prickly about me being gone. She wouldn't be to happy if I dissapeard for a 5-7 days every 3-4 weeks for extended hunting trips b/c I'm saving money on gas. And my job isn't going to put up with that either, even though inhave the PTO to do it.

It will effect people more than they want to admit, but i get the denial most are in right now.

Comment

My main hunting is a 30 minute drive, so current fuel prices will not change my hunting much. But the fuel prices, corn, cottonseed, fertilizer, etc. really pizz me off. It does cut into my discretionary buying.

FJB and every Imbecile that vote for that fraud.

Comment

I won’t hunt less but my Dad and I hunt together. We both drive big truck and now ride together more where we used to not even think about it when one of us wanted to go earlier than the other one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't been since March. Will go back once more to fill feeders in August so they're ready for bow season. It's about 250 miles one way for me. Not that gas as really affected my trips, but if I don't get there before it gets too hot, I typically only go once over the summer.

Comment

I don't see as much coal rolling at the stop lights as I used to

Nor, any of these plant baws hauling *** in those 250's leaving the refinery parking lots.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          i heading to idaho to elk hunt in august, that will burn a few gallons!!
                          Where at in Idaho?

Comment

I am spending around $1200 per month right now, just going to work and town.....
                            a few hundred more wont kill me...but for the first time in my adult life its got me thinking about needs vs wants

Comment

I don't have a lease to go to so not likely going to affect me hunting. We drive older used cars and have practiced no car payments for years so our cost per mile is pretty cheap compared to those with car payments anyway. Just saw this yeseterday:https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...verage-rising/

$700/month buys a lot of gas, even at $5/gallon.

Comment

I don't see it affecting how often I go. We have still been going quite a bit as we continue to set up our new place. But that is one of the good things about our new place, it is 50 miles closer than our old place.

What I do see it affecting as others have mentioned is what I do when I'm there or how I get there. Instead of steak we will likely eat sausage or something cheaper. Instead of stopping to eat on the way we may haul tail and get there in time to fire up the grill and cook some venison burgers. Instead of taking my truck every time we may take my wife's suburban more as it gets a little better gas mileage. Instead of pulling a half full trailer every weekend, we may pull a full one every other weekend.

I hope this is all it affects but as others have stated it isn't just gas and everything is going up.

And F that racist POS in the oval office and ANYONE (or their wife) that supports his regime's destruction of America.
                                Last edited by cehorn; 06-21-2022, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X