Grim Reaper Broadhead Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
    If you’re serious I’ll take them. Just let me know.
    I will see if I can find them and I will let you know

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
      I will see if I can find them and I will let you know

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      10-4. Thanks.

Comment

I’m a big grim reaper fan. I’ve shot a boatload of different fixed and mechanical heads over the years. I like a lot of different brands but GR’s are my favorite.

I’ve had great success with the Carni4, Hybrids and the Razortips….Short tracks and great blood trails.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
          I’m a big grim reaper fan. I’ve shot a boatload of different fixed and mechanical heads over the years. I like a lot of different brands but GR’s are my favorite.

I’ve had great success with the Carni4, Hybrids and the Razortips….Short tracks and great blood trails.

Well yes, yes you have!

Rwc

Comment

I'm a big fan of the smaller cutting heads. They're shorter, stouter, and put less stress on the blade retention clip.

The 4 blades I've shot (Mini-mags and whitetail extremes) seemed to have issues with the expander cup and the retention clip. I think it's because you have an additional cut out on the expander cup and its too much tension. John Lusk ran into the same thing in some of his testing but supposedly its more of an issue with the 100gr expander cups and if you replace them for the 125gr it solves the issue.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwRELVoZyI"]Grim Reaper MINI MAG Broadhead Test - YouTube[/ame]

I've killed probably 10+ animals between the whitetail extremes and specials, and between the two they work great as long as you avoid the shoulder. I caught the top of the scapula on the buck in my profile (Broadside shot) and spined him luckily. I only got about 6 inches of penetration, but if you look at the broadhead design of an over the top head (spitfires, swhacker, grim reapers etc.) theres a point in which the head can essentially wedge if the blades hit something hard and do not fully deploy.

If you call grim reaper they will tell you that the smaller heads also tend to leave larger entry holes because they open faster because the radius is shorter than on the longer heads. I can't say I agree or disagree.

I will say that most of the guys I know who kill elk/moose with them swear by the 1 3/8 or the fatal steel.

I ran into issues on a hunt in LANWR when I took quartering shots on 2 different cow nilgai with the fatal steels. Didn't get a pass through, and I likely won't shoot a mech for something that big again. I did however shoot lengthwise through the spike I shot down there on a hard quartering shot.

I'm a 31.5 draw length and slinging 500gr arrows in the 290s, so I thought I'd have enough KE to shoot one through a nilgai but they're a whole other animal. On whitetail they're great! I will say that the longer ones are usually a one and done with my setup at least because they tend to bend or mangle blades.

Comment

Working...
            X